IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winchester
10/13/13, 12:45 PM   #11
Re: Winchester
usache

I was there camping Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.. It was a disaster, all spots were roped off Thursday afternoon, we had to camp right along the highway, i was`nt too comfortable with that...They parked alot of the race rigs down the road in a field. In the total darkness i seen race cars being driven and 4 wheelers pulling pit boxes down the highway, it`s a disaster waiting to happen...Winchester is one of the great tracks to go to, but it has too expand the property, too many toter homes with large trailers and forty foot motor homes....

10/13/13, 4:56 PM   #12
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I drove past there last night on the way home from Eldora. I saw the cars and haulers parked down the road in the field. I also saw all the campers parked out to the edge of the road. I thought, wow, I don't think I've ever seen Winchester that packed for camping. All of this explains it.

This isn't the first time there has been poor management there. The group before this had some issues with customers too. You hear how hard the promoting business is (and it is)... Not taking care of customers is a self-inflicted wound on that front.

10/13/13, 6:05 PM   #13
ASPHALT24

Winchester has gone steadily downhill the last few years. Extremely poor management. Sad schedule. Low car counts. Poor crowds for "major" events. I wish someone with racing experience could buy the place and bring back regular sprint and midget racing to this great ole' track.

2 members like this post: erich45, team3521
10/13/13, 7:31 PM   #14
arctic monkey21

They never seem to lack for fans or cars either Winchester 400 weekend or Labor Day weekend, but I've only been there outside of those races a couple of times. One of those was ARCA weekend this year when it rained off and on both days. Parking has always been an adventure all 6 years I've been to the 400. Fortunately, I live close enough to drive in Sunday early and try to find a spot somewhere. Not sure where they can expand, but its a nice problem to have when that many cars, 201 total, and that many campers all want to be at one track.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
10/14/13, 8:59 AM   #15

Same thread year after year. Will still be sold out again next year.

1 member likes this post: fish
10/14/13, 1:25 PM   #16
RacinBabe

It's great that they sell out, but how long will it last if ticket holders can't get a place to park to even watch the race? And you know, it's not all about the parking, the crappy "it's not my job" attitude and overall rudeness experienced at the ticket office was the icing on the cake.

2 members like this post: mowerman, ronmil
10/14/13, 3:58 PM   #17
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Same thread year after year. Will still be sold out again next year.
Sad to say Darren, but you are probably correct. They will have no trouble selling our tickets I'm sure. I have attended racing at Winchester for over 35 years. Sad that track management can't (won't?) find a solution.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

10/14/13, 8:13 PM   #18
walkez

Parking has never been this bad.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
10/14/13, 9:45 PM   #19
racechasser

Race Count Last Year: 57

Wow I am now glad I didn't go Sunday after much debate. I have over an hour and a half drive and would have been pissed if I would have had to park that far away and stand all day? I did however see some of the best Sprint car racing I had seen in many years at Eldora Saturday nite, so I was happy. Waynesfield on Friday nite was outstanding as well!!!!

3 members like this post: Mud Packer, RacinBabe, racing2bwithu2
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winchester