IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fort Wayne Speedway
10/10/09, 10:00 PM   #11
Re: Fort Wayne Speedway
RacingNut

There is an autobiography by Franklin Thomas Merkler called "My Racing Legacy". Frank lived in Fort Wayne and owned the number 404 Hisso that raced with CSRA at Fort Wayne and various other tracks. Tells some of the history of the Fort Wayne Speedway.

10/11/09, 7:37 AM   #12
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by modocer 57 View Post
i was at the race that leroy crashed, as i recall the car over the wall and into billboards along the back of the track tearing many of them down. I think he had some type a eye injury from the the crash but all an all he was very lucky.
leroy was driving lee elkins 74 and he spun off turn 2 and took red renner driving dale estes car with him red broke his leg and leroy his arm! They where in the same hospital room in ft. Wayne!

10/4/13, 10:11 PM   #13
malindakaymiller

Thank you for the information. My Uncle Jerry Shropshire died this week at the age of 74. He raced at the south anthony speedway in the 60"s. He drove car 23 (tweety) and 32 (sylvester). we are putting him to rest this oct 23. I am looking for some old photos of the cars of the time and especially his if anyone might have information about it. thank you.

10/5/13, 4:00 AM   #14
tim brown

He also had arm injury from the crash.
Last edited by tim brown; 10/5/13 at 4:04 AM. Reason: info already posted

10/9/13, 2:58 AM   #15
rstar00

I lived in a house that was built where South Anthony Speedway was. When we put in a back yard garden about a foot and a half down we found all kinds of stuff that they just put dirt over and called it a day.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fort Wayne Speedway