IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Wallsracing (Offline)
  #1 7/27/13 11:29 AM
I am shooting a canon rebel xsi...im only shooting till the sun goes...been getting good pics but i know they could be better just looking for some help on some settings..im shooting sports mode...auto focus...thats it
davidm (Offline)
  #2 7/27/13 12:30 PM
Sports mode and auto focus are a good place to start with. The biggest step up in shooting quality will come from a good lens. And you can sink some coin into a good one. Best thing I can tell you is to shoot a lot and experiment with different locations and practice with manual mode. Once you get a better understanding on ISO and F-Stop and shutter speed you can really dial in what you are shooting. Also if you camera allows you to shoot in RAW format give that a try, but you will need photo editing software that can convert the image into a jpeg.

Hope that helps a little.
Wallsracing (Offline)
  #3 7/27/13 1:38 PM
Originally Posted by davidm:
Sports mode and auto focus are a good place to start with. The biggest step up in shooting quality will come from a good lens. And you can sink some coin into a good one. Best thing I can tell you is to shoot a lot and experiment with different locations and practice with manual mode. Once you get a better understanding on ISO and F-Stop and shutter speed you can really dial in what you are shooting. Also if you camera allows you to shoot in RAW format give that a try, but you will need photo editing software that can convert the image into a jpeg.

Hope that helps a little.
I got a 75-300 lens also

Posted via Mobile Device
Joe@ScaleSprints (Offline)
  #4 7/27/13 3:21 PM
Walls, Thats like saying "I drive Chevy". Theres a lot of info to Lenses. Im not pro by ANY MEANS but I noticed a huge improvement with a nice I.S. USM lense. I.S. (internal stabilizing) made for a nicer/crisper image for me. Especially while panning through the corners. Just shooting stationary pit pics its not really necessary but with the action shots its great. Just trying to help, hope i did a little.
D.O. (Offline)
  #5 7/27/13 3:23 PM
try it on TV setting
agar (Offline)
  #6 7/27/13 4:32 PM
Lloyd its all about a good Glass go to Galloways in Terre Haute or Roberts in Indy with your camera and tell them you want to shoot Sports Action tell them your budget and see what they offer also I have 75-300 that is to slow to focus and is a cheap Lens can't use for motorsports but I have a 18-250 and a 50-200 Tamron that are way better then my 75-300 if the one you are using came as a package lens it is OK but not really for sports also make sure you don't get a lens for only Full Frame Camera unless you are going to buy a high dollar full frame Camera hope this helps but bottom line like others said just play around with you camera until you are happy.
monkeyboy (Offline)
  #7 7/27/13 6:17 PM
Buy an old t90 and some film and learn to shoot. Or something older. These digital cameras take all the fun out of shooting

Posted via Mobile Device

All I need is a heavy track and heavy buzz!
4 Likes: Eric Thompson II, photoman, racephoto1, randy j
cmakin (Offline)
  #8 7/28/13 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Wallsracing:
I got a 75-300 lens also

Posted via Mobile Device
More important than the zoom range is the aperature (F-stop). The lower the number the better the lens operates in low light. Oh, and also the more expensive the lens is, of course. When shooting in "Sport Mode", check the pictures' EXIF data. That will give you shutter speed, ISO, F-stop, etc. information that can help you see what is going on. Of course where you are standing when shooting also is very important. Keep trying and try and do the best with what you have and then get better equipment once you start feeling that you are getting better.

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #9 7/28/13 5:30 PM
Originally Posted by monkeyboy:
Buy an old t90 and some film and learn to shoot. Or something older. These digital cameras take all the fun out of shooting

Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, but it also takes the expense out of it.

Lloyd, some people may complain, but check craigslist also. You get to use the lens before you buy it, not like ebay. If you find what you want , take your camera with you to try the lens. Check focus and make sure you can change your F stop.

A Canon 70-200 F4 L series lens is a good one , the glass is excellent , and you can get a good one for about $500 to $600, sometimes less. If you want IS or F2.8, it gets rather pricey. It's a nice lens to start with.

Go out in the back yard and set the camera on manual, and raise and lower the F stop( aperture) as you take the photos, you'll see what the light does. Also raise and lower the shutter speed, and see what the light does . You'll learn to adjust the F stop for the speed this way.

Above all good glass and practice and more practice.
randy j (Offline)
  #10 7/29/13 11:39 AM
Hey Loyd

shoot me an email anytime and I will try to help you any way I can. Been using Canon for 34 or 35 years, may be able to give you some guidance. Shot a race car or two in my time as well

Good shootin' to ya

Randy J
3 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, cmakin, fish