IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Were are the vanderwerd boys?
7/17/13, 9:06 PM   #1
Were are the vanderwerd boys?
JCC

Did they head home?

Posted via Mobile Device

7/17/13, 9:11 PM   #2
br549

No they are watching in turn 4 will be back out Thursday.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, AustinSprinter
7/17/13, 9:15 PM   #3
Re: Were are the vanderwerd boys?
JCC

Ic thanks. Thought this might that might be not the same but similar to perris.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/18/13, 12:45 AM   #4
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
They sat THAT out last year, too.

3 members like this post: fish, illinifan, ndr7r
7/18/13, 5:31 AM   #5
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
I'm guessing you've never seen Perris in person; although it's billed as 1/2 mile it's always seemed smaller to me, and it's certainly smaller around the outside than Terre Haute.
Let's put it this way; if Perris is a half mile, THAT is a HALF MILE!

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, team3521
7/18/13, 8:19 AM   #6
wingless1

My wife worked for an attorney who was neighbors with the Kazarians. He made a couple of phone calls, as we were planning a race trip to Perris, and Dan Kazarian was nice enough to give us a behind the scene's tour of the entire facility. He told me, when I asked about the size of the track, that it was "barely a half mile on the top of the outside concrete barrier". So maybe what, a big 3/8th's on the racing groove? Great people, great track. Oh yeah, me and the wife went to THAT in 1999 for the "Non Wing world Challenge", loved all 3 nights. You could fit Perris Auto Speedway in the infield of THAT.

1 member likes this post:
7/18/13, 9:30 AM   #7
jjones752

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless1 View Post
My wife worked for an attorney who was neighbors with the Kazarians. He made a couple of phone calls, as we were planning a race trip to Perris, and Dan Kazarian was nice enough to give us a behind the scene's tour of the entire facility. He told me, when I asked about the size of the track, that it was "barely a half mile on the top of the outside concrete barrier". So maybe what, a big 3/8th's on the racing groove? Great people, great track. Oh yeah, me and the wife went to THAT in 1999 for the "Non Wing world Challenge", loved all 3 nights. You could fit Perris Auto Speedway in the infield of THAT.
I had always suspected the PAS wasn't a true half; I had written a letter to the track after opening night (when was that? 10-plus years ago?), complementing them on the facility (especially that awesome sound system) but questioning the circumference. Never got a reply. Thanks for the confimation. I'd say a better West Coast T.H. counterpart would be Calistoga; don't know if the VdW's choose to compete at that big ol' joint or not...
Last edited by jjones752; 7/18/13 at 9:33 AM.

2 members like this post: jillybean, speed bump
7/18/13, 10:28 AM   #8
ThePurple73

Is Perris about the exact same length that Ascot was?
They look similar.

7/18/13, 2:59 PM   #9
jjones752

Ascot was a "smallish" half too, but I've always thought it was a little bit bigger than the PAS. What makes it hard to compare is that their shapes are entirely different; Ascot had those long, dragstrip-like straights and tighter corners that spawned the classic CRA back-it-in style, whereas Perris has more open corners with more banking. Perris has another little "quirk" in that the back straight is elevated so they run uphill through one and two and back down coming through three and four.
The clincher may be the all-time 410 non-wing records at both tracks; Billy Boat will have that mark forever at Ascot with a 17.958, I think the only lap ever turned under 18 seconds. Nic Faas currently holds the record at the PAS with a 15.833. Sure the cars have gotten faster in 23 years but I'd love to see somebody try to break 16 at Ascot in modern equipment. My gut tells me Ascot was bigger; yeah, the tight corners and lower banking may have held the lap times down but Bubby, Deano, Buster, Eddie and all those guys would flat take your breath away with the speed they carried into one comin off that long frontstretch...
Last edited by jjones752; 7/18/13 at 3:06 PM.

5 members like this post: EBookerFan, FishBurger, jim goerge, rachasin, speed bump
7/18/13, 6:25 PM   #10
raceway video

Not sure if this helps or not

ascot2.jpg

pas.jpg

2 members like this post: jim goerge, speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Were are the vanderwerd boys?