IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best of Times 100th episode
6/12/13, 10:55 AM   #1
Best of Times 100th episode
Dave Argabright

Our "Best of Times" series in Sprint Car & Midget Magazine will reach a milestone in August with the 100th episode. Since the fictional series began in 2005 we have heard from thousands of people expressing their enjoyment of the series. What is it about Jimmy Wilson and his pals that has created such staying power?

We want to hear from you. Tell us what it is you like about Jimmy, and if you want to write a private message send it to jimmy@daveargabright.com. Please be aware you might be quoted in an upcoming story in the magazine.

Thanks, and thanks for reading The Best of Times!

6/16/13, 11:32 PM   #2
Re: Best of Times 100th episode

With the tragedies of last week, I think this post got lost. I know I kind of forgot about it.

When I was growing up, all I wanted to be was a race car driver. Specifically a sprint car driver. There was an author by the name of William Campbell Gault that wrote several racing books back in the 50’s and 60’s. Our small country school still had them on the shelves in the 70’s. And I read every one. Multiple times. My favorite was a title named “Dirt Track Summer.” It was about a group of friends racing a sprint car along the west coast.

These books took me away and made me dream of the day I would be able to gas up my very own sprint car. I still have a copy of that book I found in a used book store years ago.

The best compliment I can give is that Dave’s “Best of Times” chapters and books reminds me very much of the books I read as a young man. As I read every chapter, I can picture in my mind’s eye Jimmy and his clan racing the Ellison Special through history. I hope Dave never stops writing.

Tom Paterson

6/17/13, 7:56 AM   #3
HurstBros0

Harvey is the first thing I read... Then K.O.

1 member likes this post: The Old Coyote
6/17/13, 10:16 AM   #4
staggerman

I have often wondered as I have read both books but never have kept up reading it in Sprint & Midget. So where would I have to start reading in Sprint & Midget to continue from the end of book #2? Hey Dave, when will book #3 be released? Thanks.

6/17/13, 10:47 AM   #5
rocketdog

Awesome job with the articles Dave, I always save the best of times for when I know I have enough time to read the whole article at once. I picture Harvey being played by Ned Beatty in my mind. Keep up the great work!!

Posted via Mobile Device

6/17/13, 11:21 AM   #6
Midget 89

First read when the magazine arrives. Wife knows where I'm at and what I'm doing. Jimmy races them clean. Stays out of trouble. What about a west coast trip this year?

Wes Stafford

6/17/13, 12:49 PM   #7
jim goerge

Dave when Jimmy went south and raced that stock car reminded me of when Cliff Cockrum would race a 100 lap sprint race and climb out of it ( lot of times in the winners circle) and climb into a Jesse Ladd stock car for another 100 laps and not sure if he won any of them but he was always up front fighting for the win This happened once a month at Haubstadt Thanks for Best of Times

6/17/13, 1:40 PM   #8
Dave Argabright

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Sprint Car Salvation (book 1) covers episodes 1 through 13; Fast and Fearless (book 2) covers episodes 14 through 38.

The next volume will be out in November.

Thanks again!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/17/13, 2:25 PM   #9
wallbanger II

dave
I have to read best of times as soon as it arives. fun trying to figure out what tracks. and what people I have all your books signed by you keep them comeing

wallbanger ii = john mugavin

6/18/13, 9:30 AM   #10
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Argabright View Post
Thanks to all of you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Sprint Car Salvation (book 1) covers episodes 1 through 13; Fast and Fearless (book 2) covers episodes 14 through 38.

The next volume will be out in November.

Thanks again!
Now I know what to put at the top of my Christmas list this year.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best of Times 100th episode