IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown question for fans.
5/9/13, 11:51 AM   #21
Re: Silver Crown question for fans.
John P Huss

Grid them on frontstretch!!
Best Regards,
John

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
5/9/13, 11:57 AM   #22
raceway video

It depends on how efficiently the show has been run up to that point and the temperature. If its cold and the show has been dragging on, then pass on the pomp. Otherwise bring it on.

2 members like this post: Indy, TBONE
5/9/13, 12:14 PM   #23
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

As a photographer I am for them gridding on the frontstretch.

As a person who travels great distances to attend races and doesn't want to pay for another dirty hotel room, I am guilty of the "let's get the show on the road" mentality. I may be alone in this view and I know "you can't make everyone happy".

I really have a hard time swallowing "the greats of auto racing" and the "premier" USAC division. Is this view a little antiquated? The last Silver Crown race I went to had 15 cars, sadly none of the drivers are not nationally known racers outside of the non-wing race capital of the world.

I also find it funny that people complain about adding another class of cars, when that added class is what keeps the price of the event down. These same people will complain about price increases as well.

Times change. Sadly it can affect a lot of our greatest memories.

2 members like this post: fish, SCOTT M
5/9/13, 1:36 PM   #24
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post

As a person who travels great distances to attend races and doesn't want to pay for another dirty hotel room, I am guilty of the "let's get the show on the road" mentality. I may be alone in this view and I know "you can't make everyone happy".

I really have a hard time swallowing "the greats of auto racing" and the "premier" USAC division. Is this view a little antiquated? The last Silver Crown race I went to had 15 cars, sadly none of the drivers are not nationally known racers outside of the non-wing race capital of the world.

I also find it funny that people complain about adding another class of cars, when that added class is what keeps the price of the event down. These same people will complain about price increases as well.

What would you say if they added a support series for The 500?

If this is truely a premier series, having a support series cheapens it. If it is a premier series, you pay the price to see the best.

I guess I am old school. I remember when they had more cars in the last chance race than they do today for the feature. Face it USAC screwed up againg . Went to my first Hoosier 100 in the late 60's(when it was run on the Sat. before labor day and had huge crowds), went to my last Hoosier 100 when they started the 50 lap break and brought in Mods. Why do people mess with a good thing?

If I want to see Mods, I can go to the Speedrome for a lot less money.

5/9/13, 1:58 PM   #25
SCOTT M

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post

Seriously!! I couldn't agree more!

2 members like this post: fish, Indy
5/9/13, 2:07 PM   #26
dirtcarfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I guess this is another reason why that I am not a Silver Crown fan. I hate driver introductions. I hate interviews. It is just a waste of time.
I guess you're not much of a race fan! Drivers and crews put themselves on the line night after night. They should do it for every race.

5/9/13, 2:08 PM   #27
fasster23

If the great Bob Jenkins is doing the intros how could anyone not enjoy it? How long does it take to do them anyways 5-10 mins? People complain the series isn't what it used to be and then complain they are trying to stay with tradition? USAC went out and got Jenkins to call the Silver Crown races and Only the Silver Crown races. To me that helps to show the prestige of the series. I live in MO so I don't know about local advertising but on social media it seems like I see a post weekly about the Crown cars. These are two big things that didn't exist last year and don't forget the switch back to methanol that everyone wanted. Like Cockrum said, if you ain't got nothin nice to say don't say don't say nothin, or something like that.

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by fasster23; 6/4/17 at 5:29 PM.

3 members like this post: fish, HardyBoysRacing, IndyBound
5/9/13, 2:09 PM   #28
SCOTT M

Put 'em on the front stretch..JMO
Last edited by SCOTT M; 5/10/13 at 6:00 AM.

5/9/13, 2:43 PM   #29
illinifan

Race Count This Year: 10

I am 36 and have been going to Bettenhausen 100 since I was 5 with my dad. The only years I have missed was while I was in the navy. He and I go to about 50 races a year, but the first race I put on my calendar every year and look forward to is the dirt champ cars on spfld mile. Every time they line the cars up on the front stretch with crews and drivers, means its time to say thak you and Godspeed. I get a great since of nostalgia from races past and excitement for what's to come. The memories I have at that race with my dad alone makes it great.
Put them on the track and introduce them properly, please.

Posted via Mobile Device

8 members like this post: fish, groove grabber, IndyBound, ISF, luckybuc97, SCOTT M, SpfldMile, sw1911
5/9/13, 7:07 PM   #30
k41l

Bring them out and do intros! Also after the races at THAT they used to stop the top three on the front stretch, then open up the gate after interview. One of my fondest early racing memories is getting up close to Hewits 63 after a win at the action track. I remember telling my dad I will race here someday.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown question for fans.