IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > meeting
2/12/13, 1:08 PM   #31
Bradleyracing86

Engler is safer, buy one fuel pump every 4 years instead of 4 walbros every year!

Posted via Mobile Device

What about aftermarket velocity stacks, air boxes, and additional efi secondary's? Those are allowed?

Power commanders, auto tuners, enrichment systems, if your gonna single out one system why don't you ban them all.
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 2/12/13 at 1:21 PM.

2/12/13, 1:44 PM   #32
Re: meeting
wilkey118

I wish this class ran at places like Bloomington and Brownstown smaller tracks as these cars aren't really intended for tracks like Lawrenceburg and places like that, then make it half wing half non-wing.

As far as rules go...

1. stock engines. (allow all fuel systems)

2. if you are on a smaller track i dont think that the weight thing comes into play especially when you take the wing off.

3. when it comes to the tire rule. make it open that takes so much fun out of racing tire set up is so big.

4. make it fun! isnt that was racing is supposed to be? reading all this makes me feel as though im sitting in front of the tv watch the past presidential debate.. where is the fun in that?

just my thoughts.

3 members like this post: bowbuild, Bradleyracing86, DAD
2/12/13, 1:45 PM   #33
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Engler is safer, buy one fuel pump every 4 years instead of 4 walbros every year!

Posted via Mobile Device

What about aftermarket velocity stacks, air boxes, and additional efi secondary's? Those are allowed?

Power commanders, auto tuners, enrichment systems, if your gonna single out one system why don't you ban them all.

That is exactly what Allen wanted to do, However Most people did not know that he was getting into his boxes and changing things around a little bit. Sooo in comes Power Commanders much cheaper than the cloned box at the time. Then Methanol, then high dollar alky conversions, then Englers. Allen is probably up to about 12 grand right now saying what is next.

The Rule maker need to sit down, research the subject, and decide what really adds to reliability, what adds to looks, and what adds to performance. With new motor designs it is going to get harder and harder just to drop a motor in a car and go race. It ain't going to be your grand-pa's R-1 anymore.

I like bone stock, pistons, rods, cranks, valves and cams, and trans gears. Allow external parts like injection, Power commanders, ign boxes and pumps and pans.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/12/13 at 1:49 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
2/12/13, 2:49 PM   #34
Phylo82

If any series decided to go with a stock motor on gas, limited to a couple of manufactures motors with no add ons (stock injectors, air box, etc) I'd run with them every weekend.

I'll never understand the logic of spending $10k on a motor to win $500.

Posted via Mobile Device
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

6 members like this post: D.L. 122, DAD, hoscalecody, Jrp4554, RickyBobby, Xflagman
2/12/13, 3:01 PM   #35
speidel21

DAD, in reply to your observation #21 (ironic #), you better never get in TQ racing with that thought, you win multiple races anywhere and the assumption is you got to be cheating. Doesn't apply to any certain one club either. Would love to try a mini out sometime.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/12/13, 3:35 PM   #36
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylo82 View Post
If any series decided to go with a stock motor on gas, limited to a couple of manufactures motors with no add ons (stock injectors, air box, etc) I'd run with them every weekend.

I'll never understand the logic of spending $10k on a motor to win $500.

Posted via Mobile Device

Then everybody could put their number in a hat draw a number and that would be your race car for the night. It ain't motor darned it. Why does everybody put soo much faith in the motor. What makes a race car fast is driving set up and moxie. If you did what I said above you would still have the same winners, and they would be cheating.

We went to the Shoot out several years ago, because we had the only car around we thought that could run with the wing off of it. We took a beat up old car with a worn out motor and over the hill driver and ran second in that thing and it sure wasn't motor. We were hooked up!

Probably the car, driver and set up guy had something to do with it?

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: bowbuild
2/12/13, 4:07 PM   #37
Phylo82

God knows I had my complaints about the quarter midget rule book but engines is the one area where they did a pretty good job most of the time. You couldn't just run out and buy the newest and strongest motor, it had to be approved.....and if you wanted to spend a fortune getting it blue printed someone could just claim it at the next race.

I'd like to see a series where all the motors were either Suzuki, Kawasaki or Honda, 1000cc. Nothing newer than 05-06. There are plenty of them out there that are reasonably priced.

Stock motor on gas, all OEM parts straight off the bike....a good, hard RR spec tire. Max octane from the local gas station (no racing fuel). Now all cars are the same weight.....simple, right?

You'd lose some teams in the short run but my guess would be you'd have a strong group of cars in three to five years.

Yeah, I know I'm dreaming.....but it's an inexpensive dream.

Posted via Mobile Device
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

1 member likes this post: Jrp4554
2/12/13, 4:12 PM   #38
minisprinter

I'd like to see a series where all the motors were either Suzuki, Kawasaki or Honda, 1000cc. Nothing newer than 05-06. There are plenty of them out there that are reasonably priced.what no yamaha!!!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/12/13, 4:15 PM   #39
Phylo82

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisprinter View Post
I'd like to see a series where all the motors were either Suzuki, Kawasaki or Honda, 1000cc. Nothing newer than 05-06. There are plenty of them out there that are reasonably priced.what no yamaha!!!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Actually, I meant to include yamaha.....But anything that is compatible and equally priced would do.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Phylo82; 2/12/13 at 4:16 PM.

1 member likes this post: bowbuild
2/12/13, 4:21 PM   #40
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylo82 View Post
God knows I had my complaints about the quarter midget rule book but engines is the one area where they did a pretty good job most of the time. You couldn't just run out and buy the newest and strongest motor, it had to be approved.....and if you wanted to spend a fortune getting it blue printed someone could just claim it at the next race.

I'd like to see a series where all the motors were either Suzuki, Kawasaki or Honda, 1000cc. Nothing newer than 05-06. There are plenty of them out there that are reasonably priced.

Stock motor on gas, all OEM parts straight off the bike....a good, hard RR spec tire. Max octane from the local gas station (no racing fuel). Now all cars are the same weight.....simple, right?

You'd lose some teams in the short run but my guess would be you'd have a strong group of cars in three to five years.

Yeah, I know I'm dreaming.....but it's an inexpensive dream.

Posted via Mobile Device

Back in my second or third time around with QMA they called that box stock. A good stocker cost more than a Double A back then. They were going on 30 years old at the time and it was hard to find a good one. Best I can remember one guy cornered the market on them and had a lease program.

Motorcycle motors are tuff but put 20,000 street miles on one and it won't live long in a race car. And I guarantee I can buy a brand new crate 2012 for what parts and labor on an 06 rebuild would be. We are in fact racing disposable engines.

Honest Dad himself

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > meeting