View Poll Results: choices
Go unoh 4 40.00%
others(write in) 3 30.00%
dont go to college 2 20.00%
other profession(write in) 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll
D.L. 122 (Offline)
  #1 2/9/13 4:58 PM
I am just looking for input on college choices particularly UNOH. I am looking for a career in anything motorsports. I love racing and odds are I wont be a driver so im looking forward to opportunities to stay in the lifestyle for a profession. I am an "advanced" student and have been told that motorsports might not be my greatest choice. Would a college like UNOH really help secure a profession in motorsports? Any other great colleges for motorsports or should I look into other professions? The main thing is Job availabilty shortly after school (1-2 years) and good pay (50 k +). Thanks for reading!
slide22 (Offline)
  #2 2/9/13 6:08 PM
Originally Posted by D.L. 122:
I am just looking for input on college choices particularly UNOH. I am looking for a career in anything motorsports. I love racing and odds are I wont be a driver so im looking forward to opportunities to stay in the lifestyle for a profession. I am an "advanced" student and have been told that motorsports might not be my greatest choice. Would a college like UNOH really help secure a profession in motorsports? Any other great colleges for motorsports or should I look into other professions? The main thing is Job availabilty shortly after school (1-2 years) and good pay (50 k +). Thanks for reading!
You would be much better off to go into Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, etc. Plenty of $50k - 70k jobs offered before you ever graduate.
2 Likes: jdmacduffay, team3521
Jonr (Offline)
  #3 2/9/13 6:12 PM
A couple of things. Since you said that you are an "Advanced" student, I would suggest getting an engineering degree from a traditional school. If you have an engineering degree you will have options. You can use your engineering degree on most race teams. You can also use your engineering degree in a normal professional setting. If you find life on the road a pain, you can always trade it in for an office cube.

Second, you may want to revisit your expectations. I not sure that there are many jobs in the real world paying 50K for someone with no experience with a two year trade/technical degree.
3 Likes: ffrid, MEAT, team3521
Hotshoe65s (Offline)
  #4 2/9/13 6:15 PM
I have talked with people that did the motorsports deal at UNOH and they have had really tough times getting jobs in the motorsports field. If you wanna just be a wrench turner for a NASCAR team then the NASCAR school (NTI I believe) in North Carolina would be your best bet. Other than that I'd encourage you to think about mechanical engineering.

Posted via Mobile Device
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #5 2/9/13 6:32 PM
I love Indiana Wesleyan Adult Programs! They help you get your degree in the quickest way possible online or on site!

Posted via Mobile Device
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #6 2/9/13 7:16 PM
My son is a I.U Bloomington sophomore and just loves B-town as I do to.
midgetmaniac (Offline)
  #7 2/9/13 8:11 PM
Originally Posted by Rpracing1:
My son is a I.U Bloomington sophomore and just loves B-town as I do to.
I am an IU grad and absolutely love bloomington , as for the thread ,I would definitly look at Mech. Eng because of the job possibilties if the racing thing does not work out.
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #8 2/9/13 8:28 PM
I'll give you the same advice I've given my grandchildren, three of whom are in college now.

1. Get away from home. It's time to grow up.

2. Go to a 4/5-year school to get a BS degree. Nothing less will get you a solid income in the current years. I'm a big believer in co-op programs in which you work while studying. If you can't find one of those, work your tail off to get some kind of summer job in your field.

3. Look around for the best state school program in the field you want. There are lots of good Mech Eng programs. One of my grandsons is a sophomore in one now. You don't want to go too deep in debt. However, your income with a BS degree will be worth some level of debt.

4. All engineering programs are tough. In a state school, you will be surrounded by kids who are at college to play. Some will flunk out, some will squeak by. You have to develop the discipline to ignore all that, because you are going to be working hard. Most state schools plan on a significant percentage of their engineering students dropping out. Don't be one of them.

Good luck.
4 Likes: apexonephoto, Mud Packer, team3521
ShaneMugavin57 (Offline)
  #9 2/9/13 8:30 PM
Since your an advanced student get the best degree you can get. Then get a non racing career and start a team on the side. That way you get to do want you want to do and are not at the mercy of the volatile motorsports job market.
Colin25 (Offline)
  #10 2/9/13 8:30 PM
My son is attending IUPUI. They offer a 4 year BS degree in Motorsport Engineering. To my knowledge they are the only Univ. in the country that offers such a degree. If you are an advance student and can handle the hours they offer a program where you can receive a BS degree in Motorsports and a seperate BS degree in Mech. Engineering in five years. If you wish to talk to Colin or any of the professors send me a pm and I'll get you all their numbers. Two years ago they had twice as many job positions to graduates. Can't beat percentages like that in todays job market. Good luck where ever you go and like your additude concerning school.