IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: Thrill Shows?
2/1/13, 4:48 PM   #1
OT: Thrill Shows?
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Whatever happened to thrill shows? It just occurred to me that I have seen 2013 schedule announcements from a number of tracks and don't recall seeing any listings for thrill shows. I just checked a half dozen tracks, none of which has a thrill show scheduled. Have they all gone out of business? Why does no one want them any more?

BTW, when I was booking NEMA races, I hated them. At the time (early-mid 70s), we were charging $2500 for a show (almost $14000 today). I lost a date because they booked a thrill show (I think it was Chitwood) for $900! If a thrill show was in the area, they would take a date for almost any price, rather than having an off night.

2/1/13, 4:59 PM   #2
okie

I saw Clayton race a few times last year

Posted via Mobile Device

2/1/13, 5:01 PM   #3
Re: OT: Thrill Shows?
Andrew S. Quinn

I havent seen nor heard of the Joie Chitwood Thrill show for ages. Last time I saw them was at Oxford Plains back in the 80s,although I remember seeing them on Selinsgrove's schedule in the 90s.

2/1/13, 5:03 PM   #4
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
I saw Clayton race a few times last year
Thats a different kind of thrill show! He even tops Joie Chitwood. I've seen Chitwood on 2 wheels on the track,sometimes Daron has less than that touching the track at any given time!

5 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, luckybuc97, Morgan7m, speed bump
2/1/13, 9:01 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Lawrenceburg
July 20 Night of Destruction
Monster Truck Freestyle, School Bus Races, Mini Van Demo Derby, Roll Over Contest, Hornet Enduro, & Much More

No It's not the Chitwood thrill shows I seen of the past but they do have a few thrill events. Is anyone even doing thrill shows?

2/1/13, 9:02 PM   #6
racephoto1

I remember watching the Hell Drivers as a kid at both the Indy Mile and Speedrome. When your a kid, it's a neat show.

1 member likes this post: Ricks Pics
2/1/13, 9:25 PM   #7
Ricks Pics

I think old sprint car driver Mark Alderson once held a job in the thrill shows...as I remember he did the 2 wheel ramp roll over...

2/1/13, 9:36 PM   #8
CALandSurveyor8759

I was travelling around in Wisconsin and visited paved LaCrosse State Fair Speedway. Their schedule advertised an "Eve of Destruction" that was composed of maybe 10 separate events. I wasn't there for that show, but I was cracking up at the names they had: Tortise and Hare; Tag, You're It. Too funny.

At the now defunct Cajon Speedway in San Diego County there was always a standing room only crowd for their Boat Trailer Races (on a figure 8, naturally). Folks eat this stuff up, and it gets people in seats. Compare to senior sprints? or hornets?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
2/1/13, 11:26 PM   #9
Vukie

Joie Chitwood Thrill Show in 1956.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, racephoto1, speed bump
2/2/13, 1:23 AM   #10
mortboyz

Great stuff, Vukie!!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: Thrill Shows?