IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
USAC Developmental (Offline)
  #1 1/8/13 12:18 PM
BOB JENKINS BECOMES USAC’S “SILVER VOICE”

Bob Jenkins of Carmel, Ind. has accepted the role of chief broadcaster for the TRAXXAS USAC Silver Crown Series for 2013. He will orchestrate the announcing duties for 11 events, beginning with the April 28 “Sumar Classic 100” at Terre Haute, Ind. and ending with the September 21 “4-Crown Nationals” at Rossburg, Ohio.

Events Jenkins will announce also are scheduled at Indianapolis, Ind. (3), Madison, Ill., Fountain, Colo., Milwaukee, Wisc., Belleville, Kans., Springfield and DuQuoin, Ill.

"Getting a chance to work in the USAC Silver Crown series will take me back to my roots of racing’” says Jenkins. “My first exposure to racing in the early 60's was sprint cars and what are now Silver Crown cars. It has always been an exciting form of competition and I look forward to working with the drivers, car owners, crew members, track owners and officials this coming season."

Jenkins, with Hollywood credits on movies like Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights, is a graduate of Indiana University and Short High School in Liberty, Ind. and served as a cornerstone anchor on ESPN when it debuted in 1979.

Most recently Bob was the lead commentator for the IndyCar Series on NBC Sports Network.

His motorsports expertise with ABC and NBC and his long tenure with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway have solidified his position as one of America’s most respected and knowledgeable motorsports aficionados.

At IMS, Bob’s voice has graced the Indianapolis 500, NASCAR’s Brickyard 400, the Formula One United States Grand Prix and the Red Bull MotoGP, among others.

“Obviously, we are beyond delighted that Bob will join our team in 2013,” offers TRAXXAS USAC Silver Crown Director James Spink. “His expertise and knowledge of our participants, plus the intense appreciation of this type of motorsports, makes him the obvious choice to fill this post. We are indeed fortunate to have his services.”

The 2013 TRAXXAS USAC Silver Crown Series schedule and related series information can be found at USAC’s website: www.usacracing.com.
51 Likes: addictedtodirt, Avon Open Wheel fan, big3131, boomer, BrentTFunk, Brettski98, Bruce Harrison, davidm, dirt330, dirtball, EBookerFan, fasster23, FishBurger, i love dirt track racing, Indy1808, IndyBound, John P Huss, koolaid89, Lincoln Chapple, mod4s, mowerman, Mud Packer, nedra_bahler_835@com, nowingsjeff, old time Hoosier, OTSNWR, PARKS, Pat O'Connor Fan, PAW, racefan20, RACEMS41, racephoto1, RacinFool, racing2bwithu2, richie, Ricks Pics, ronmil, Russell Ficklin, scooter99, Seadog, speed bump, Speedracer, SprintManDave, Stevensville Mike, Task Force, tim brown, Tom23, turn4, Vukie
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #2 1/8/13 12:45 PM
You have the former ESPN announcer , Now get all 11 races on the Mickey Mouse Network !
4 Likes: koolaid89, mowerman, team3521, UberKuhlMan
cecil98 (Offline)
  #3 1/8/13 12:47 PM
Now all they need is a decent field of cars and drivers. 14 or 15 won't cut it....
HARFprez (Offline)
  #4 1/8/13 1:01 PM
"bitchin Bob" (a nickname coined by the Bob & Tom show a few years ago) should ALWAYS be the first choice for announcing duties whether at the Indy 500 or your local dirt track. Bob is one of the smartest racing announcers anywhere, quick on his feet, funny, and accurate. Congrats to Bob for being employeed again. Mr. Bob Jenkins will also be honored as the HARF Media Award winner at this years HARF Banquet on January 27th, so double congrats, from one bob to another.
7 Likes: addictedtodirt, Brettski98, IndyBound, mtek56, racephoto1, Seadog, speed bump
cecil98 (Offline)
  #5 1/8/13 1:27 PM
I do enjoy Bob's commentary and broadcasts.....he always does a terrific job
2 Likes: DaveP63, deadbird
ISF (Offline)
  #6 1/8/13 2:47 PM
It's great that the Silver Crown Division will have a tried and true high profile announcer for 2013.

However, at the same time we will sorely miss the great job Jim Childers has done at The Mile Dirt Tracks of Springfield and Du Quoin over the better part of the last 30 years.

Jim is knowledgeable, concise and has a pleasing presentation. He's not a screamer nor does he overplay the driver introductions and seems to know the degree of explanation needed according to the audience he's speaking.

Good luck Jim and we'll miss ya' at Springfield & Du Quoin.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
5 Likes: billwill7, fasster23, Mud Packer, racephoto1, turn4
old time Hoosier (Offline)
  #7 1/8/13 3:13 PM
Originally Posted by USAC Developmental:
BOB JENKINS BECOMES USAC’S “SILVER VOICE”

Bob Jenkins of Carmel, Ind. has accepted the role of chief broadcaster for the TRAXXAS USAC Silver Crown Series for 2013. He will orchestrate the announcing duties for 11 events, beginning with the April 28 “Sumar Classic 100” at Terre Haute, Ind. and ending with the September 21 “4-Crown Nationals” at Rossburg, Ohio.

Events Jenkins will announce also are scheduled at Indianapolis, Ind. (3), Madison, Ill., Fountain, Colo., Milwaukee, Wisc., Belleville, Kans., Springfield and DuQuoin, Ill.

"Getting a chance to work in the USAC Silver Crown series will take me back to my roots of racing’” says Jenkins. “My first exposure to racing in the early 60's was sprint cars and what are now Silver Crown cars. It has always been an exciting form of competition and I look forward to working with the drivers, car owners, crew members, track owners and officials this coming season."

Jenkins, with Hollywood credits on movies like Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights, is a graduate of Indiana University and Short High School in Liberty, Ind. and served as a cornerstone anchor on ESPN when it debuted in 1979.

Most recently Bob was the lead commentator for the IndyCar Series on NBC Sports Network.

His motorsports expertise with ABC and NBC and his long tenure with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway have solidified his position as one of America’s most respected and knowledgeable motorsports aficionados.

At IMS, Bob’s voice has graced the Indianapolis 500, NASCAR’s Brickyard 400, the Formula One United States Grand Prix and the Red Bull MotoGP, among others.

“Obviously, we are beyond delighted that Bob will join our team in 2013,” offers TRAXXAS USAC Silver Crown Director James Spink. “His expertise and knowledge of our participants, plus the intense appreciation of this type of motorsports, makes him the obvious choice to fill this post. We are indeed fortunate to have his services.”

The 2013 TRAXXAS USAC Silver Crown Series schedule and related series information can be found at USAC’s website: www.usacracing.com.
Bob Jenkins has a command of the microphone / camera and his knowledge is unsurpassed. His 'voice' means automobile racing and we all hope that he will be involved with the Indianapolis 500 this year as well as his Silver Crown duties. He also seems to be a sincere and true gentleman who appreciates all the fans he encounters.
2 Likes: IndyBound, Seadog
bart (Offline)
  #8 1/8/13 3:42 PM
That is great news!

Bart
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #9 1/8/13 3:47 PM
Originally Posted by Roy Bleckert:
You have the former ESPN announcer , Now get all 11 races on the Mickey Mouse Network !
I am reading this the same way. Bob is going to be announcing at the track as the track announcer. There is no TV deal for the races to be aired, right?

Nonetheless, it will be a nice step up for the series at the tracks.
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #10 1/16/13 7:50 PM
My mind is blown...I get to announce at Terre Haute with a man that I idolized while I was growing up watching racing on ESPN

I CANT WAIT!!

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
4 Likes: Avon Open Wheel fan, dkdorkboy, fasster23, K9Racer