IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Storing Tires Outside
10/10/12, 12:33 AM   #1
Storing Tires Outside
kdobson

Maybe this is common knowledge, but apparently it is a $1,500 fine in Illinois if the EPA stops by your race shop and finds tires sitting outside. I was informed that they are ok to sit outside as long as they are cut in halves and laying face down so that they can't accumulate water.

It looks like the Illinois EPA is driving around checking on tires due to West Nile. About 20 sitting outside of our shop waiting for the annual fall city cleanup in a few weeks got us in a pickle with the EPA.

When asked if we had a disposal plan, I was tempted to say, "yea, we burn them" but I didn't sense she was in a joking mood. The "city cleanup" answer didn't fare much better.

If you have tires sitting outside, you might either cut them or throw them inside somewhere.

10/10/12, 5:48 AM   #2
Re: Storing Tires Outside
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
Maybe this is common knowledge, but apparently it is a $1,500 fine in Illinois if the EPA stops by your race shop and finds tires sitting outside. I was informed that they are ok to sit outside as long as they are cut in halves and laying face down so that they can't accumulate water.

It looks like the Illinois EPA is driving around checking on tires due to West Nile. About 20 sitting outside of our shop waiting for the annual fall city cleanup in a few weeks got us in a pickle with the EPA.

When asked if we had a disposal plan, I was tempted to say, "yea, we burn them" but I didn't sense she was in a joking mood. The "city cleanup" answer didn't fare much better.

If you have tires sitting outside, you might either cut them or throw them inside somewhere.
Will cities take them on a city cleanup day? I know that at times companies and IDOT garages will have a hazardous waste collection day where anything from tires to old paint to electrical components (can't throw those old computers in the dump anymore) will be allowed to be collected.

10/10/12, 8:11 AM   #3
interpreter66

here you can go to the county waste transfer station and they let you throw them in a dumpster if you show your tax bill,but they wont take race tire's
i asked the guy why not and he said because they were used to make money,which i then told him evidently he know's nothing about racing!

7 members like this post: 1st, boomer, davidm, jim goerge, K9Racer, Slidejob71, smith19
10/10/12, 8:55 AM   #4
Tony74

If you get a roofing blade for a utility knife, it’s not a lot of effort to cut the side walls out of them. Then most curbside trash pickup will take them.

We also give away the flat tread section...as floor mats/mats for livestock trailers.. etc.
Last edited by Tony74; 10/10/12 at 11:24 AM.

10/10/12, 9:56 AM   #5
kdobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony74 View Post
If you get a roofing blade for a utility knife, it’s not a lot of effort to cut the side walls out of them. Then most curbside trash pickup will take them.
We do that... except when we get lazy and it becomes a project for down the road.

I will say one thing we have learned from running a race track our first year is that there is a serious issue out there in finding guys a way to dispose of tires. We have a pile of 100 we have accumulated at the track this season to prove it.

But, I believe that even the guys crapping tires at the race track would properly dispose of them if there was a simple way to do it. I don't know enough about the tire recycling business to know if there is some place in the Midwest that will take them in bulk without a per tire fee like most tire disposers.

I also believe that it wouldn't be that hard to get Hoosier dealers to accept them back if we could find an outlet for them to haul them a truckload at a time without a disposal fee. It would be a nice 'green initiative' for Hoosier to point out the thousands of tires they are keeping from being burned or thrown in landfills - or in my case sitting causing a West Nile hazard.

Anybody know anything about the tire disposal business?

(Yes, I'm thinking I can point the EPA to this post and show that I'm working toward the greater good of the world and maybe the $1500 fine isn't so important to them after all.)

10/10/12, 11:13 AM   #6
rr826mh

Start by checking with your local tire shops. If you have a family run one talk to them. I know the one i take mine too charges me a a buck a tire. What do I see here though sponsorship chance. Put their name on your car for free disposal?? Own a track put their name on a sign. Who knows where it will lead. I know state programs out there where towns can get a semi van trailer to fill than they come pick it up once full might be something too look into. But I do know with race tires with no cord ya can cut em and throw em in your trash

10/10/12, 2:48 PM   #7
throb

my trash collectors take two per week every week here in Indianapolis....

1 member likes this post: wilkey118
10/10/12, 5:01 PM   #8
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony74 View Post

We also give away the flat tread section...as floor mats/mats for livestock trailers.. etc.
We can cut them down like that & throw them in the trash here in Minnesota, snowmobilers like the tread sections to protect their trailer decks from track studs.

steiny

10/10/12, 7:48 PM   #9
Bad Dad 54

I've cut the sidewalls out & used the tread for tree wraps when off roading to protect the tree. Also floor & door mats, hung one under the back of a truck to keep dirt & spray off the front of trailer. Use the sidewalls for redneck oicture frames LOL

10/10/12, 7:52 PM   #10
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
. Use the sidewalls for redneck picture frames LOL
You might be on to a big seller there! As George Carlin once said "If you take 2 pieces of wood that have never been nailed together,and nail them together,some schmuck will buy it off you"!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Storing Tires Outside