IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > $5000 to win at Tri-State!
8/5/12, 1:15 AM   #131
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
Great feature on a great track and over at 10pm. I hope that wasn't too late for all the people crying over Tommy's Tractors.
For the locals it is no big deal but 10pm is 11pm for the EDT folks.

Tack on a 3 hour drive and it makes for a late night.

I think that's why some people are overly sensitive about a "tractor show".

I'm glad u guys saw a great race!

Posted via Mobile Device

8/5/12, 2:02 AM   #132
Re: $5000 to win at Tri-State!
Jerry Shaw

That was just a crazy race. There were so many twists and turns. All the way from the start to the finish. You knew for certain that about five or six different guys were going to win this thing. After Braylon battled his way around Brady, he took off like a scalded cat and was gone, only to nick the soon to be lapped car of Kent Schmidt, ever so lightly. But it was enough to send both of the spinning. But, before that, he was flying and was a blast to watch as he just flew around that place, playing with fire on each and every lap, many times just inches away from that wall. It was a shocking sight to see the leader spin into the wall. After that, you knew it was going to be on between Blake, Brady and Wes Mac, who was on the move and had just passed Clayton right before DC spun. That put The Modern Day Cowboy on the tail and you just knew that development was going to make your ticket worth a little bit more. Wes Mac worked his way up, took the lead and started to look like he might dominate. But, about the time that was getting ready to happen, Cummins had caught fire, worked his way through and began to threaten Wes Mac. And, as this was starting to unfold, the bright yellow 92 was just ripping his way through the field. He went from like 7th or 8th to 4th or 5th with one banzai, thread the needle move that had the crowd on their feet! Could DC go from the back to the front? It looked for sure that he was going to do just that, when all a sudden he turned it around exiting turn three. By that time, Cummins was all over Wes Mac like a cheap suit. His lead was in serious jeopardy. And on that yellow it became obvious, by the sick sound you heard, that McIntyre's motor was laying down on him or he was running out of fuel. When that green flew, Cummins quickly grabbed the lead, as Wes Mac was being passed by everybody. He only made it back around to turn 4 before he came to a stop and was done for the night. Then, it was obvious to everyone that this race was Cummins' race to lose and he took his cue and took off, trailed by Jonathan Hendrick and Joshua Clemmons, as Chase Briscoe was on the move. And, just that quick, Kyle got into the wall in turn 2 and another leader was gone. All Hendrick had to do was hold off Clemmons, who was so impressive tonight and Briscoe and Bland, who were charging hard to finish this race out. Briscoe in particular looked to be the fastest man on the track at this point, but Bland got upside down on the white flag lap and Jonathan was able to escape with the win. As I said before, this was just a crazy feature. So many guys should have won this race and had their heart broken and a few others gutted it out and just threw down till the very last lap of this one.

This was like so many nights at Tri-State Speedway. A lot of people spend the first part of the night second guessing Tommy and whining about having to watch John Deere tractors circle the track and a few hours later are walking to their cars stunned by the great race they just got done watching. It's always been that way and it always will.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/5/12 at 9:38 AM.

8/5/12, 2:11 AM   #133
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

i saw a great race, i just think it still would have been great without the rework. i just dont see how an opinion can be misconstrued as whining. the track was starting to come in perfectly after the modifed bmain.

bottom line, craziest race of the season, im glad i made the trip

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer
8/5/12, 2:16 AM   #134
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamby812 View Post
Track is going to be lightning fast tonight. Looks like the recent rains have helped a lot. It's going to be exciting.

Posted via Mobile Device
And it was. Better than Sprint Week.

3 members like this post: Hamby812, jim goerge, racephoto1
8/5/12, 9:00 AM   #135
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
This was like so many nights at Tri-State Speedway. A lot of people spend the first part of the night second guessing Tommy and whining about having to watch John Deere tractors circle the track and a few hours later are walking to their cars stunned by the great race they just got done watching. It's always been that way and it always will.

Jerry
Being accustomed to some of the marginal tracks we see over here in Illinois, you will never hear me complain about Tommy's tractor shows.

And given that they raised $1300 for Easter Seals during intermission, I sure as heck am not going to be complaining about the length of intermission.

6 members like this post: billwill, Hamby812, rdzsprint, ronmil, Rpracing1, skids59
8/5/12, 10:05 AM   #136
Jerry Shaw

I can't count the number of times over the years that I've left a race wondering what it would be like if Josh Clemmons had a bigger budget to race with. Time after time, I've seen him show up, roll that ugly azz car out onto the track and more than hold his own and often outduel race teams with much bigger budgets than what they have. He was elbows up last night, that's for sure!

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, illiNOISE, racephoto1, ronmil, skids59
8/5/12, 11:10 AM   #137
peacedaddy101

Surprised no one has done this yet but shout out to Bobby East. After not even starting his heat race and starting scratch in the feature he finished fourth for the night. Thought he was going to lose it when a flipping Bland landed on top of him but it looked like he put it to the floor and was shooting for the checkered.

2 members like this post: Rpracing1, skids59
8/5/12, 11:59 AM   #138
Big Willy

So I do have a question for you armchair quarterbacks today... How exactly would you handle the format for a racetrack that runs two divisions and the car counts are 23 sprints and 27 mods? Now TSS could have easily taken the top 6 from each sprint heat last night and run a boring b-main with 5 cars and put 2 in their trailers but they chose to start everyone instead (which oh by the way cost them more start money). Considering what they decided (no sprint b) the format then has to change and they must give the 3rd heat non-transfer mod racers some type of break to get their cars ready for the b. Rather than let the track sit idle they chose to bring out equipment and run it back in. After the mod b they once again had sponsor committments and a planned Easter Seals collection for the drivers to come into the stands and collect funds (which I guess even Bill G. hisself would have rather they skipped so people could get home a half hour earlier - after all Easter Seals has nothing to do with racing) . There was not much else that could have been done differently last night to move the program along any faster (other than maybe not allow the sprint cars to get upside down and maybe start the program earlier than advertised and have somebody complain about that) and I am always amazed at how many internet experts will bash a track for trying to put forth the best product they can by reworking the surface (FYI - Robert G there was hardly a spec of silt in the air last night but that probably has something to do with the car count and the fact that natural rain water fell at the facility late in the week). How many of you idiots will be happy when the Helfrich family finally gets tired of all the hard work and effort for break even nights and has an even more limited schedule or gives it up completely? Sometimes people amaze me...

5 members like this post: bmemmer, illiNOISE, ronmil, Rpracing1, TNRustler
8/5/12, 12:01 PM   #139
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

let's not go too far, I was covered in dust when I left, but that's what happens when the wind was blowing as hard as it was.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/5/12, 12:33 PM   #140
peacedaddy101

At two o'clock yesterday I stopped in at the track to find them watering it. I also was covered in dust by the end of the race thanks to the shift in the wind. It's a dirt track I expect to get dusty, but sometimes I wonder if them working the track so often does more harm(dries out the track) rather than good.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > $5000 to win at Tri-State!