IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Robert Ballou-Wilmot
6/28/12, 9:52 AM   #21
Re: Robert Ballou-Wilmot
c47

kinda looked to me like ballou was holding his line, hunter slid in too quick, tried to turn away, slid the right rear into ballou. ballou didnt pich him nor do i think it was intentional from either parties.

2 members like this post: DAD, SteveD
6/28/12, 11:00 AM   #22
DAD

Did Robert know he was there? YES> In the perfect world he could have given a little more racing room. But all being said they were both racing hard and for the same part of the race track, and it's kinda of hard to turn or stop one of those things on a dime. No grounds for sanctions. Six inches would have made all the difference in the world. Good hard racing, the kind the crowd likes to watch. S-H-I-T- Happens.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, SteveD
6/28/12, 12:01 PM   #23
c47

or....to play devils advocate...hunter shouldnt have gone in so hot expecting robert not to be there when he got there.....whoops!
"just one of them racin' deals"
Last edited by c47; 6/28/12 at 12:04 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, SteveD
6/28/12, 3:58 PM   #24
dirtball

Between the bugs and dust, it was hard to say what happened.

6/28/12, 4:20 PM   #25
DAD

Yeh, The term QMA used was "charging" to "Blocking". An imaginary line was drawn across the track several feet before the turn. This was the line that changed the call from charging to blocking. If the passing driver was even with the cockpit before the line they had the line and the car being overtaken was supposed to give racing room. If they DID NOT give up the line it was called as "Blocking".

However, If the overtaking driver did not reach the cockpit until after the line had been reached, they would be charged with "Charging".

The camera angle makes it hard to tell when Hunter got up to Robert's cockpit. It looks to me like it was before the turn. If however it is like you saw it "Hunter did came in very very fast" and it was after that imaginary line before he got to Robert's cockpit he would be called "Charging". Either way they both lost the argument.

QMA has a lot of Bull in it but they do teach young kids how to race fast and safe and to show their fellow racers RESPECT on and off the race track. It's a shame they don't let the kid's run the whole show. It's easy for a kid to learn these things when they are young and if they learn it young they will race it for the rest of their career. Quarter Midgets are not 410 sprint cars but racing is racing and we shouldn't race open wheel cars the way they race stock cars.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/28/12 at 4:30 PM.

1 member likes this post: c47
6/28/12, 9:45 PM   #26
ossuks

WOW!!!!!! Just saw the video of Wilmont and can not believe there is a debate over what happened? I know there is some top row goggle wearing race fan that will argue just for the sake of arguing, BUT REALLY!!!!! There is no way there is a debate over what happened!!!!!!Watch the video and ....... well just watch the video.... camera angle is not a factor when your running the same line lap after lap and someone sticks their RR in your left side nerf bar. Pretty much looks like Hunter got!!!!!!

5 members like this post: 38DD, fish, rclaridge, spicoli, utex28
6/28/12, 10:56 PM   #27
BKarraker

Cameras never lie. However, We shouldnt even be talking about this either. The race was awesome between KT and Stanbrough with cottle charging and were talking about something that ruins the whole race. Its over nothing we can do about it and hopefully we all learned something from it and race against each other the next night. Move on from the situation

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
6/28/12, 11:17 PM   #28
nonwingnit

I just watched it and I saw it in person also - I will say hunter wasn't running the same line lap after lap. I have some video edit software on my mac and I slowed it down and watched frame by frame - you can see at about 6.19.11 that Ballou has hunter cleared by several inches meaning you can see the track between the two so I can see where he said he thought he cleared him. Then at like 6.19.22 Ballou moves up and catches hunter with a tire it looks like in the nerf bar but when I slowed it down it shows the whole bar not that it makes much of a difference. Just looks like classic slide gone bad - you can see in the frame where Ballou had him cleared and then in the next couple where he goes to pull away and hunter is there. I didn't see nothing intentional and it didn't really look avoidable either it just looked like a bad timing hard racing thing. Especially when you slow down the previous frames/laps hunter moves up from the bottom to the top back to the middle to pass Ballou in 2 then back to the top in 3 - the same scenario could have happened the corner earlier except it was just luck it didn't. The camera guy missed they had already traded three clean sliders before this deal - I don't see anything intentional and really don't when I slow it down - and I can see where it looked like a clean pass there is several several frames where Ballou had him cleared by several inches by the time he moves up there would have been no way to miss him he would have taken out Windom if he tried to dodge hunter by driving down in front if him - just hard racing. I wish I could figure out how to convert the frame by frame shots and I'd post them but I can't figure it out. I guess what im saying is idk how usac could say it was avoidable after I slowed it down I hate it for hunter I hope he rebounds with a solid sprint week. On another note Thomas jr looked amazing I bet that kid gets a sprint week win

Posted via Mobile Device

Idk why it's putting the dumb smiley faces in I'm trying to type in the video times/frames stupid phone
Last edited by nonwingnit; 6/28/12 at 11:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
6/29/12, 12:46 AM   #29
Ddckm72

I grew up in a race shop, attend the races since I was very young and have worked for several professional racing series and been on pit crews as well and one thing throughout my life and my experiences is I learned there is always a thing called RESPECT. Those simple words mean that no matter if you like a driver, are a driver, a pit crew member, a crew chief, a car owner, a sponsor or an official- there is a way to conduct yourself in every situation.

This past weekend I had the sincere pleasure to work with Robert & Sacha Ballou and their entire team.

I witnessed something that I have not seen in any of the series I have worked for nor am associated with on Saturday nigth at the Wilmot Raceway. A USAC offical came down to the Ballou Motorsports pit area in front of fans that were there to visit with Robert and a potential sponsor when this official mentioned loudly he was on probation.

I don't want to state who should have done what in that A-main event but I do want to state that the entire way this 6 race probation has been handled is beyond frusting and has shown several children that watch this happen on Saturday night and heard it announced in the drivers meeting on Sunday night- bullying.

I believe in being professional, and there is a way to handle situations and the way this situation has been handled and what has been said to Robert, his wife and team is in apporaite and should be appealed and USAC should be ashamed. I know several people that are not in support of this serious now due to the conduct of officals and the "rules made up along the way or the way they see fit"-and now may choose to support a different more professional series.

To Robert & Sacha Ballou and your entire team- as a witness to this spectacle and the entire situation- I want you to know that by no means is this acceptable and should not be tolerated by any of you, your sponsors and fans.

The sponsor that walked away after he heard what was said cost not only Robert's team money but USAC money too because no-one knew how much they wanted to spend or in which way and now that moment has passed. I believe in being fair-professional and engaging in policies and procedures and that is exactly what should have been done and going forward should be the top priority- FRANKLY I BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE BIGGER ISSUE HERE THEN WHO DID WHAT TO WHO!

Posted via Mobile Device

6 members like this post: 3wide, DAD, dirtnonwingfan, luckybuc97, Pat O'Connor Fan, Topless77
6/29/12, 1:53 AM   #30
Ddckm72

YOu can try to find video some where?
Last edited by Ddckm72; 6/29/12 at 10:34 AM.

2 members like this post: nailer, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Robert Ballou-Wilmot