IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth Speedway Bullring Update
3/8/12, 2:00 PM   #1
Plymouth Speedway Bullring Update
racerX

Drove past the Plymouth Speedway last night and saw them Sheeps Footing the track. Speaking to the guys that are doing the track work, they are putting down the clay in layers then rolling it in. The track looks pretty cool and should be racer friendly with no walls around corners to crash into, so you just roll off onto the asphalt track and come back on. Also it will not take alot of horsepower to compete. Can't wait to see Sprint car racing in northern Indiana like the old Warsaw days. First show is nonwing sprints $1500 to win and $200 to start,along with UMP mods.

3/8/12, 4:59 PM   #2
treecitytornado

Looking forward to racing a Non-Wing Sprinter on the new dirt bullring. A buddy of mine asked me today, a great question. What is the proposed way to clean up all of the dirt that gets thrown out onto the paved track and hopefully put some of it back on the dirt track?

Thanks and looking forward to racing this season!

J.T.

Posted via Mobile Device

3/8/12, 5:23 PM   #3
Re: Plymouth Speedway Bullring Update
racefan20

They are gonna send you out there with a broom JT

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
3/8/12, 8:17 PM   #4
Spi-nex

I wonder what may happen if one of the sprints right rear's hits the asphalt before the driver gets out of it.

It will be nice having a dirt track within a half hour of my house. Been living in asphalt country for too long. I can make 6 asphalt tracks within 45 minutes, but have to drive a minimum of 1.25 to get to my favorite dirt track. Not missing the opening night at Plymouth since I've never been to a first ever race for any track.

3/8/12, 8:38 PM   #5
dirtracer74

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Looking forward to racing a Non-Wing Sprinter on the new dirt bullring. A buddy of mine asked me today, a great question. What is the proposed way to clean up all of the dirt that gets thrown out onto the paved track and hopefully put some of it back on the dirt track?
First and foremost, it needs to be cleaned up as soon as the racing is over with on Saturday nights. If it sits for a few days baking in the sun, it is like trying to clean up dried concrete. We run a track that runs concrete on Friday, and a dirt track on Saturday. The owner there is on the track with a sweeper as soon as the last race finishes. If it rains, it turns to mud that is hard to clean off. Dry, or wet, clay sucks to clean off a concrete or asphalt surface. Got to get it while it is still loose on the surface.

3/8/12, 8:56 PM   #6
treecitytornado

I will do my part to help out if they need it lol. Looking forward to May 5th!

Posted via Mobile Device

3/9/12, 9:14 AM   #7
racerX

Talking to them at the track they plan to sweep it right after the races with a power broom. Then power wash the asphalt, after drying they will power broom again and then us a turbine to blow it off. It looks like if the weather is good they will be putting down more layers of clay this weekend. I can't wait to have that track going this summer. They also tell me that Eric Saunders that rode Pro Moto Cross for Tony Stewart for 13 years who was paralyzed in a crash a year and a half ago may be running a 600 Concept Chassis on the dirt. Eric is also friends with Travis Pastrana. Travis and Eric are putting on a Nitrocross Supercross combo Freestyle event Oct 6&7. Heard Travis is bringing in some of his Nitro Circus Guys, Should be awesome to watch. Ed Kennedy Owns the place and it looks like they are thinking outside the box!!!! Thanks Ed for bringing back open wheel racing on Dirt to Northern indiana.....

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
3/9/12, 2:25 PM   #8
indybail

The first race I remember seeing was at Plymouth in the (my childhood hometown). I'm dating myself but they didn't have fences then either.

As an aside, long time car owner Lee Elkins is interred just a couple of miles up the road on old US31.

3/9/12, 5:37 PM   #9
bigmojo5

J.T., Maybe you should ask the good folks at Elko Speedway in Minnesota, or other places that have put dirt on asphalt. Notice that the USAC pavement race is scheduled the day before the dirt race.

3/12/12, 8:01 AM   #10
racerX

Was there this past Saturday. Saw alot of people coming in to check it out. Everyone that came in said " It is bigger than I thought it would be" Can't wait to see the may 5th show. The place is very clean. When we were in Daytona for Volusia speedweeks, we had a chance to stop by Ed Kennedy's ( The new owner of Plymouth) Daytona Lagoon waterpark and karts along with the Speedpark go kart place and found out he owns the Board Walk in Daytona. All of those places were 1st class and looks like he is going to do that to Plymouth also.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth Speedway Bullring Update