IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racer-x (Offline)
  #1 3/3/12 8:14 AM
Just heard there are going to stop the production of the volt. They also said the avg income of the person that had bought the car was over $175,000 a year.... Hmm who would have thunk it?
4 Likes: ajb6, duel, FALCONEDDIE, speed bump
darnall (Offline)
  #2 3/3/12 10:33 AM
Dang....I thought this thread was going to be a link to some more video of the electric midget that Shuman hotlapped at Bubba Park....hahahahaha
The Old Coyote (Offline)
  #3 3/3/12 10:54 AM
The first thing I thought about when I saw that electric midget in the pits and when they brought it out on the track was how I lost complete interest in Unlimited Hydroplane power boat racing when the turbines replaced the old aircraft engines. It just wasn't the same watching them speed by with a quiet whoosh and the ground not shaking. They called them thunder boats for a reason.

I happen to believe the Indy 500 would have died if they had not outlawed the turbines. The noise is as much a part of experiencing racing as is the beauty of watching cars slide through the corners and power down the straightaway!

Real Race Cars Don't Have Fenders!
Ed
8 Likes: ajb6, bighd0522, dirt330, duel, Jimmydiesel, short track scott, speed bump, wvwildthg
Jonr (Offline)
  #4 3/3/12 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by racer-x:
Just heard there are going to stop the production of the volt. They also said the avg income of the person that had bought the car was over $175,000 a year.... Hmm who would have thunk it?
As someone who makes his living from the automotive industry, I would like to correct your statement. GM is halting production on the Volt for five weeks. GM is not stopping production of the Volt. The Volt is one of the key products in the GM portfolio, and there is a lot of investment in this product.

The controversy surrounding the battery safety definitely had an impact on the sales. However, GM is hopeful that as more time goes by that the Volt will have a strong comeback. I think that many people have a wait and see attitude on the Volt.

While times of inventory adjustments (temporary production halts) are common, no one ever wants to see a manufacturing site shut down. Almost all products in the GM inventory have had an inventory adjustment at one time. Instead of ridicule, I would ask that you think about the workers at the Detroit Hamtramck site and also at the Brownstown Battery Plant.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012030...on-for-5-weeks
19 Likes: apexonephoto, bigq11, Bill Gardner, BrentTFunk, ByronMack, Cale88, Dannypollock24, dirt330, Drtchsr, EldoraMark, erich45, Geoff Kaiser, i love dirt track racing, I Miss Manzy, IndyBound, jerrydt, Pat O'Connor Fan, Revolution Racing, Seadog
bfranks17 (Offline)
  #5 3/3/12 5:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
As someone who makes his living from the automotive industry, I would like to correct your statement. GM is halting production on the Volt for five weeks. GM is not stopping production of the Volt. The Volt is one of the key products in the GM portfolio, and there is a lot of investment in this product.

The controversy surrounding the battery safety definitely had an impact on the sales. However, GM is hopeful that as more time goes by that the Volt will have a strong comeback. I think that many people have a wait and see attitude on the Volt.

While times of inventory adjustments (temporary production halts) are common, no one ever wants to see a manufacturing site shut down. Almost all products in the GM inventory have had an inventory adjustment at one time. Instead of ridicule, I would ask that you think about the workers at the Detroit Hamtramck site and also at the Brownstown Battery Plant.

What is the msrp on the volt?

Posted via Mobile Device
racer-x (Offline)
  #6 3/3/12 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by bfranks17:
What is the msrp on the volt?

Posted via Mobile Device
The coal fired (electricity) Chevy volt has a MSRP of $40,000 and then the govt subsidides it $7500 which i am thinking is taxpayer money.
cecil98 (Offline)
  #7 3/4/12 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:

I read an article on the efficiency of the Volt vs. High Mileage (32mpg+) traditional vehicles. According to this study, the Volt will run an average of 25 to 30 miles on the battery before having to switch over to gasoline and subsequently needing a 10hr recharge.

The energy consumption cost for the Volt on a 4.5 hr trip was $.74 per mile while the 32mpg gasoline car's cost was $.10 per mile. The 10hr recharge costs the consumer roughly $18 per charge (included in the 74cents).

Obviously the article was much more detailed but, this was the gist of it. Also, in this article, they said msrp on the Volt was $46g...

Can anyone say "Solyndra" or "Evergreen Solar" or "Ener 1" ????
Over $539 billion of our tax $$$ have completely disappeared because of this cr@p!!!!
4 Likes: mikeham73, speed bump, SPRINTCAR, throb
Jonr (Offline)
  #8 3/4/12 1:53 PM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
I read an article on the efficiency of the Volt vs. High Mileage (32mpg+) traditional vehicles. According to this study, the Volt will run an average of 25 to 30 miles on the battery before having to switch over to gasoline and subsequently needing a 10hr recharge.

The energy consumption cost for the Volt on a 4.5 hr trip was $.74 per mile while the 32mpg gasoline car's cost was $.10 per mile. The 10hr recharge costs the consumer roughly $18 per charge (included in the 74cents).

Obviously the article was much more detailed but, this was the gist of it. Also, in this article, they said msrp on the Volt was $46g...

Over $539 billion of our tax $$$ have completely disappeared because of this cr@p!!!!
There were two main design principles of the Volt. The first principle is to be an efficient electric vehicle. Thus, if your daily commute is less than 25-30 miles, you will only be on the electric motor.

The second design principle was to have an extended range. Thus, if you are traveling more than 25-30 miles, you know that you will have the gas motor to rely on. You also know that you have the capability to stop at any gas station and get more fuel for the trip. With other electric vehicles, the range you can go and where you can recharge are major issues. With the Volt, you do not have this issue.

While I don't disagree with any of the math of the 4.5 hour trip, I would argue that the 4.5 hour trip shows the worst possible mileage scenario for the Volt. Just as the article of the person who used the Volt as her daily commuter on her ten minute commute to work and didn't buy any gas at the pump for several months would be the best case scenario. Lastly, the fact that the Volt made a 4.5 hour trip is a positive. There are no other electric vehicles that can make that trip.

Is the Volt the best choice of vehicle for everyone? No. If you are consistently making long trips in the vehicle, there are probably better vehicles for you. If you are looking for a daily commuter that can give you outstanding gas mileage, this could be the vehicle for you. The idea of buying gas every couple of months is outstanding.
5 Likes: Bill Gardner, buck2, FishBurger, jerrydt, Seadog
racer-x (Offline)
  #9 3/4/12 3:00 PM
Originally Posted by cecil98:

Thats weird i havnt heard Diane Sawyer,Charlie Gibson,Brian Ross,or Brian Williams tell the people that story about the JOLT..You dont think? Naaaaaa im not going to say it!!!
GAS has never in our days been this much at this time of year. Were the heck is the the media or the people that really care about this great country. ok half the country can go back to sleep!
cecil98 (Offline)
  #10 3/6/12 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by racer-x:
Thats weird i havnt heard Diane Sawyer,Charlie Gibson,Brian Ross,or Brian Williams tell the people that story about the JOLT..You dont think? Naaaaaa im not going to say it!!!
GAS has never in our days been this much at this time of year. Were the heck is the the media or the people that really care about this great country. ok half the country can go back to sleep!
Agreed! When gas prices went up under "Preznit W" the media and the Donkeys were screaming bloody murder and calling for investigations and hearings.....Now that the "Commies" are firmly in control, the "media" is nowhere to be found on this issue...hmmmmm?