IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Airplane Grave Yard
1/5/12, 7:52 PM   #1
Airplane Grave Yard
speed bump

Way off subject....but in a few weeks I am driving from Indiana to
Calif.
I have seen a few times on T V an Airplane grave yard.Where there are hundreds of planes just going to seed.
Can any one tell me where this is ?
Also, has anyone been to the Unser Museum in N. Mexico ???
I will be within 50 miles of it...........
Thanks.........

1/5/12, 8:03 PM   #2
Re: Airplane Grave Yard
popham

There are airplanes stored around the Tuscon Arizona area due to the low humidity. I seen them several years ago, the windows and engines are sealed over.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
1/5/12, 8:23 PM   #3
DWX 9929

There are several around that area but Davis- Motham AFB in Tuscon is your best bet. Was there last year and was amazed. Close to 5,000 aircraft being stored, upgraded, or waiting to be scrapped. Go to the Pima Air Museum and take the bus ride thru. Wish I had rode it more than once.

There is also a Titan II missile silo turned into a museum south of there. Both are well worth the trip.

Would have gone to the Unser museum if I had known about it. Oh well, now I got an excuse to go back.
Attached Images
mm.jpg (40.7 KB, 220 views)
mmm.jpg (37.9 KB, 206 views)
mmmm.jpg (61.0 KB, 206 views)
mmmmm.jpg (57.5 KB, 198 views)

1/5/12, 8:26 PM   #4
raceway video

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed bump View Post
I have seen a few times on T V an Airplane grave yard.Where there are hundreds of planes just going to seed.
Can any one tell me where this is ?...

There is a big one in the Mojave desert

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3088143

2 members like this post: mowerman, speed bump
1/5/12, 8:49 PM   #5
racerjim2

This is more in left field...did you today where someplace they found a plane in the bottom of the ocean intact. They said they thought it was from WW!! I think.

1/5/12, 8:49 PM   #6
Kansasdirtfan

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there's access to the boneyard at Davis-Monthan. However, just south of the base, at 6000 East Valencia Road, is the Pima Air and Space Museum. I was there last Memorial Day weekend and it's well worth a stop. Lots and lots of military aircraft, including some experimental craft I'd never seen before. There's a huge area outside and several buildings. Most of the aircraft outside are displayed in "as is" condition but most of those displayed inside have been restored to their original grandeur. You can check out my photos posted on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/111crea...7626831066049/. Enjoy!

1/5/12, 9:18 PM   #7
IndyBound

I went to the Unser Museum two years ago and have been telling everyone I know that is going to be in that area it is well worth their time to stop by. I usually stay at one of the hotels along Coors Blvd, the museum isn't too far north-east from that area. The museum covers all forms of racing the Unser family has been involved in, Pikes Peak, Indy Car and local racing as well as the families heritage.

Patti

1/5/12, 10:02 PM   #8
aXe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdirtfan View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't believe there's access to the boneyard at Davis-Monthan. However, just south of the base, at 6000 East Valencia Road, is the Pima Air and Space Museum. I was there last Memorial Day weekend and it's well worth a stop. Lots and lots of military aircraft, including some experimental craft I'd never seen before. There's a huge area outside and several buildings. Most of the aircraft outside are displayed in "as is" condition but most of those displayed inside have been restored to their original grandeur. You can check out my photos posted on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/111crea...7626831066049/. Enjoy!
Been by Pima air & Space museum a few times last time was best, took a guided tour by a famous pilot was well worth the money and very informative.
aXe

1/5/12, 10:10 PM   #9
slick01

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 48

You can take the boneyard tour at Davis-Monthan AFB by visiting the Pima Air Museum during the week. Further west on I-10 towards Phoenix at the Western Area Aviation Training site (Army National Guard) you will see a huge civilian aircraft repair facility. I did some work there and don't know if there are tours, but it is clearly seen from the freeway. A great place to eat in Tucson is El Corral Steakhouse...great prime rib. Old Tucson studios is a neat stop for western movie buffs.

2 members like this post: DWX 9929, speed bump
1/5/12, 10:18 PM   #10
Jonr

I went to the Unser museum a couple of years ago. I am a big Unser fan, so I was not disappointed. However, it is not that large.

Also not real sure of your travel path, I would re-look at your directions. Seems that to get anywhere fast in New Mexico that you would go through Albuquerque, Not 50 miles away.

Finally, if you do go through Albuquerque, there are a ton of great New Mexican food resturants that you will need to go to. Nothing like a green chili burrito.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Airplane Grave Yard