IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Zero Chassis?
12/16/11, 12:40 AM   #1
Zero Chassis?
BuddyCampbellRacing

Can ya'll give me any info on the Zero Midget chassis'. I can't find a website. Are they well built cars? Etc.

12/16/11, 11:31 AM   #2
Re: Zero Chassis?
darnall

I have complete confidence in how well built they are. I have seen them take some outrageous hits and leave the drivers compartment perfectly intact. Saw one running the top hammer down at I-55 Speedway in Pevely, MO (a super fast hi bank 1/3 mile) get taken out, hit the wall, upside down several times...He bent the rear bumper and tore the rearend, shocks, and some radius rods up but the chassis had absolutely no damage.

The only thing lacking in a ZERO chassis is usually HORSEPOWER or engine reliability. Seems like lots of times when you see one race it is having some engine issues. But when I see one that is running right it's as fast as anything. Jonathan Halford went real good in his when his Mopar was running well. Matt Sherrel goes good when Johnny puts him in a house car. Daniel Robinson (I think) went from the back of a PowrI "B" feature to 3rd at Jacksonville, ILL in Steve Webers car (the Black one with Dairy Queen on the hood thats for sale right now) with a very mild Pontiac engine under the hood a couple years ago. And he had to pass a few of PowrIs hot dogs to do it.

The only drawback to a Zero chassis is that theres not 20 guys in the pits that also have one, so you can't take everybody elses baseline setup as a starting point. But Johnny knows what his other customers have done to get them set up and he will bend over backwards to help anyone with his chassis get it right. Heck, he will bend over backwards to help anybody who wants to race a midget of any kind.

Lot's of people like to give Johnny crap over some of the creations he has shown up with at the Chili Bowl but you won't find a better guy in the pits at any track in the country. And his standard cars have tons of potential. If I didn't already have a chassis and was looking for a good deal I wouldn't hesitate to own the one thats for sale right now, or even one of his new ones at the price hes asking.

2 members like this post: Hugh MacDonald, skids59
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Zero Chassis?