IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #19
1/14/08, 10:10 PM   #1
Andrew Update #19
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Andrew completed the Proton Radiation portion of his treatment the first week in January. He handled this part of it very well. We moved them back Michigan along with his haul from Santa. I can't believe the number of toys he received. Also, the number of cards and letters from so many people we don't even know.

After a double round trip of over 1,700 miles in less than an 80 hour time frame, the old man was about worn out. During the last trip up to Michigan, one of Andrew's toys mysteriously started talking. After a couple of hours of that, we stopped and re-packed the back seat of the car.

Andrew was scheduled to start back at the Mott Children's Hospital last week and my daughter-in-law was dreading that. With the chemo treatments they are hospitalized for most of the week and the following week Andrew is usually a pretty sick little boy.

They performed a GFR test on Monday to test his kidney functions. In order to do this they have to insert a peripheral IV and insert a radioactive tracer and Andrew isn't very fond of this procedure. Needless to say the technician who was performing this was looking away and squirted it on Andrew and another technician burning both of them. That made the test invalid and it couldn't be completed.

Tuesday they were scheduled to start the next round of chemo and they show up and didn't have the correct protocol and his name incorrect. They asked my daughter-in-law if she knew the protocol? After finally getting that corrected they hooked him up for the 72 hour version. On Wednesday afternoon the port started leaking and they had to stop the chemo treatment. He ended up with a burn on his stomach and they had run additional tests to check the port.

To say that the hospital staff had a bad week would be an understatement. Andrew seemed to come through all of this unfazed which is more than I can say for the rest of us. He will continue to receive chemo approximately every three weeks through October. The next big test will be the MRI on February 14th. That will show how the tumor is responding to the treatment protocol that they have chosen.

I will end this update by thanking you all very much for all of the cards, letters, toys, well wishes and prayers. Our family is very humbled by the outpouring of love for Andrew. His journey continues and we appreciate your interest.

Mike

1/14/08, 11:52 PM   #2
Re: Andrew Update #19
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

As always, our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Thanks again for the update.

Frank Daigh

1/15/08, 5:25 AM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Hang tought guys, Still praying :thumb:

1/15/08, 7:51 AM   #4
Jerry Spencer

Thank you Mike for the update, we look forward to good news and will keep praying for the little guy as well as the rest of your family.

Jerry,Sarah,Paul and Josh spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com

1/15/08, 8:55 AM   #5
PJ Wright

Mike; I've got to commend you. After reading about the missteps of the hospital staff, the fact that you didn't go to jail speaks well of your patience and self control. You, Andrew, and the rest of your family remains in our prayers.

1/15/08, 9:15 AM   #6
Gregg

Mike, thanks for the update. Glad things are proceeding well in spite of the miscue on that test. We will continue to send our thoughts and prayers that Andrew will stay strong through the road ahead.

Gregg and Mary

1/15/08, 9:22 AM   #7
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
Mike; I've got to commend you. After reading about the missteps of the hospital staff, the fact that you didn't go to jail speaks well of your patience and self control. You, Andrew, and the rest of your family remains in our prayers.
I can honestly say that I have never had patience. This whole ordeal has tested what little patience I have.:headbang: Andrew has been a great inspiration to me and he seems unfazed by anything they do to him. He flashes that smile and seems to say you can't dampen my spirit. Grandkids are wonderful.

1/15/08, 12:20 PM   #8
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Mike. Thank you for the update! Andrew and you all are in my thoughts and prayers daily! What an ordeal that you are all enduring!:respect:

1/15/08, 12:34 PM   #9
FishBurger

Mike, I couldn't possibly express my thoughts any better than those who came before me on this thread have done. Just know that I continue to be on board with the thoughts and prayers.

1/15/08, 8:38 PM   #10
IndyBound

Mike, you and you family remain in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Patti

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #19