IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Afterthought---Indy Sprint Week---JMO
7/19/11, 7:52 PM   #1
Afterthought---Indy Sprint Week---JMO
jerseysprintnut

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 17

I want to preface this by saying its still great racing even on an off night with track prep. I always say, a bad non-wing race is better than an average wing race. My group had 6 and we came from New Jersey and had a great time and fun during the first 3 races (Gas City, Kokomo, and L-Burg)

My one big gripe with sprint week is the shows support divisions. I know that they need to boost the back gate but this is my thought.

....Can all the promoters get together and run just features for support div. and not run a full program for them. This will not only save the track somewhat but most of us are there for the sprints anyway.

Gas City ----had 3 div. along with the USAC Sprints.(TOO MANY DIV.) Too much track work had to be done during the night and most fans do not enjoy tractor and water truck parades. The feature was good but many people were in full gripe mood when the track crew pulled out on the track just before the feature.

Kokomo----Did it right and didn't have to do any extra track prep. They had two support classes and features only were run. I thank Kokomo for doing this and we had time after to go to the pits because it was over earlier.

L-Burg---- 2 divisions was good but the support class (Mods)was too large and had too many races which led to having the track turn dry slick and dusty. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the race and how fast they ride up against the wall but I wish the track was better. Mr Rudisell (and his wife) do a great job and are great for our favorite sport, so I feel bad even making any neg. comments. Everybody I talked to about the track, pretty much said the same thing, they wish they could cut down the banking somewhat.

Ok, sorry for being a "Jabberjaw" as Aero would say to me but what is everyones opinion on this???

I still love Sprint Week and will probably come back next year again no matter what I say!!!

Later, JERSEY

7/19/11, 9:24 PM   #2
Re: Afterthought---Indy Sprint Week---JMO
wolfpack58

I saw the first 3 races also and totally agree about Kokomo, incredible surface on a very warm evening. Gas City- A+ for effort by the prep crew.I don't mind the rework on the track. not the best race I've seen there ,but not the worst either. Lawrenceburg-The feature was better than I thought it would be. Once again Dave was battling a very hot sunny afternoon and he does have a hell of alot more surface to work. Although it has been 4 or 5 trips to the burg since I've returned to PA saying lawrenceburg was the best show of the weekend. My only ***** overall is(here we go)why start hot laps at 6 o'clock.Wouldn't 7 be much better for track surface. It's(Indiana)still the best dirt track racing on the planet!!!:99::

7/19/11, 10:37 PM   #3
TQ97

Understand your thought process, and I think there should be no more than 2 support classes. 1 class with 3-4 heats and a b main is even better. However, as a former support class racer, would you expect me to have to pay the same pit fees, etc to only run a feature? Consider, without support classes padding the back gate, you're ticket price could be double.....
Posted via Mobile Device

7/19/11, 10:47 PM   #4
berks co

I went to the last 3 nights, Brownstown, micros, no problem, Bloomington, micros again fine no problem, Tri-State had modifieds, the feature was a wreckfest for the 20 cars that they had but still wasn't bad.

7/19/11, 11:32 PM   #5
Flatrightrear

The mod feature at Haubstadt was after the sprint car feature so who cares how long it took.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/20/11, 2:45 AM   #6
johnnythunderhead

don't you dare cut down the banking at lawrenceburg, just get more water into the track like you used to n all will be well!

7/20/11, 8:40 AM   #7

and to think back to the days when there were 70 or 80 cars for sprint week and 2 support classes. How in the world did the tracks ever make that work? Oya there were not places like this for people to complain and drivers were much more hungry for the win then. i like the support classes. Sprint week takes me to tracks that I normally do not go to and the support classes give me an idea of how well the track is doing.

7/20/11, 9:44 AM   #8
Big Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
and to think back to the days when there were 70 or 80 cars for sprint week and 2 support classes. How in the world did the tracks ever make that work? Oya there were not places like this for people to complain and drivers were much more hungry for the win then. i like the support classes. Sprint week takes me to tracks that I normally do not go to and the support classes give me an idea of how well the track is doing.
Just to address your above mention of a place for "people to complain"... Promoters should monitor message boards like this and be grateful for the free information they can gain from these places. Not one person has complained about the main course (non-wing sprint racing) but many have voiced objection to things like seating, track conditions, timeliness of the events, etc. and promoters should consider all these constructive criticisms in trying to put a better product out. Many companies have to spend money on surveys to improve their overall product but here you get it free. Like any data, one may have to sort through some bs but most all the information can be usefull. If you had an eating establishment and had the best grilled chicken in the US yet the business was still off because your salads were made with wilted lettuce, or your seats were busted up, or the wait time was unacceptable would you not want to know why customers might be staying away?

Just to keep the record straight, I am not asking any promoter or track operator coming on here to try to defend what they do. I know its a thankless job with long hours and many nights a struggle just to break even. If they are comfortable with coming on here to pass along updates and improvements that is fine but for the most part they need not post to justify any actions to us arm chair quarterbacks who have nothing vested in the game other than a few hours of our time and a purchased ticket.

JMO...

7/20/11, 2:15 PM   #9
jerseysprintnut

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I want the support classes too but just not a full program of heats and b-mains. Kokomo had 2 features of their support classes and it worked out well.

BIG WILLY---Agreed with most of what you said, good job

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Afterthought---Indy Sprint Week---JMO