IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > T-Mez & Shane Hmiel Roll Cages
7/4/11, 5:00 PM   #11
Re: T-Mez & Shane Hmiel Roll Cages
Sprintcarfanatic

The window nets look to me to be hooked to that added bar.

7/4/11, 5:09 PM   #12
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

That is right ...there is a new bar that comes down from the top of the cagr right at the front bend of the down tube to the middle rail and the ney id attached to that net...maybe add a halo might be the answer

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/4/11, 5:18 PM   #13
terrehautian

One thing I noticed on a few of the cars, some of them had a few extra bars on top (extra strength or different car maybe?).

7/4/11, 5:28 PM   #14
Relentless Racing

Its not the chassis fault on either of the impacts that happened, its the MORON that took the guardrail down and replaced it with a CONCRETE 90 deg cornered wall. Everyone knows this is the most dangerous track we run at, and unfortunately someone will die here before they either A.) Shut it down or B. make a safer wall.

Why does this sport require such bad things to "nearly" happen and do nothing, knowing its going to..... *Tick Tock Tick Tock*

But hey they cant even manage to get a little track prep for a few days in in so moving the wall, or changing the design will never happen.

It is sad that a track with such nostalgia is already gone were just in a fantasy land because there isnt a parking lot there yet.

7/4/11, 6:59 PM   #15
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless Racing View Post
Its not the chassis fault on either of the impacts that happened, its the MORON that took the guardrail down and replaced it with a CONCRETE 90 deg cornered wall. Everyone knows this is the most dangerous track we run at, and unfortunately someone will die here before they either A.) Shut it down or B. make a safer wall.

Why does this sport require such bad things to "nearly" happen and do nothing, knowing its going to..... *Tick Tock Tick Tock*

But hey they cant even manage to get a little track prep for a few days in in so moving the wall, or changing the design will never happen.

It is sad that a track with such nostalgia is already gone were just in a fantasy land because there isnt a parking lot there yet.
I've made this point before, but they should take down the walls on each end and add some run off area like Bloomington has. There is already space past the walls anyway, just extend it further out and put up some kind of catch fence past the run off area in case a car is completely out of control and can't get stopped. The cars are going way too fast to have a concrete wall waiting for them. I was at the race where Shane was hurt last year, and saw what can happen when a car hits them going that fast. I never want to see something like that again.

1 member likes this post: JEFFSTOY
7/4/11, 7:23 PM   #16
Jonr

As much as the people on this board hate Napcar, you have to admit that when they decided to attach the safety of the cars, the cars did improve. It is obvious that the silver crown cars are in need of some of this same re-engineering. To say nothing could be doneto fix the cars is just being lazy.

Another thing that Napcar did was not only fix the cars, but to start working on improving the tracks. Once again, to say nothing could be done to the fix the tracks is just being lazy.

7/4/11, 7:42 PM   #17
backitin

Them cars look pretty safe to me and I'd run one in a seconds notice, I didnt see the latest crash your talking about but watched the Shane video over a hundred times. The way that car hit on that concrete, it couldnt have really hit at a worse angle. I give the wall most of the blame for that situation.

2 members like this post: Hubie, jim goerge
7/4/11, 9:22 PM   #18
CRA91

What some tracks do if they have wall is to build the catch fence where it comes all the way down to the top of the wall and it's mounted flush to the edge that is closest to the track,therefore when you flip you go into the catch fence and can't even land on top of the wall,or like Ascot used to be there was a dirt shelf made by putting dirt behind the wall until it's level with the top of the crash wall then they had old car tires stacked up on top of the wall and dirt shelf which really cushioned the blow of landing up there.No sharp edges or or narrow pieces of concrete to land on in either one of these applications.

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
7/4/11, 11:43 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

What many have said about the wall is true. Modern Racing walls are mounted banked to the track banking and also Catch Fences will bounce a car back instead of hitting the top of the wall. THAT Is far from the only track using jersey barriers for retaining walls with no catch fence, However it may be one of the most flat and high speed to do so.

I've only been too four THAT races and seen one car exit the track *NIGG* that was way scary but was probably better than hitting the wall cage first. Either option is a costly investment for the fair board. I don't see it happening honestly. You could bury some tractor tires highth wise along the wall in the turns but then you risk having a surface to hook on if the cushion goes that high.

The choice remains, You either race on it or you don't.

BTW, Anyone determine if it was the wall or another car hitting the cage? Don't seem like anyone could have even seen what happened.

Chuck
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/4/11 at 11:44 PM.

7/5/11, 9:03 AM   #20
kcarm92

Sargent didnt remove the guardrail JAMIE REED did was told to repair guardrail instead he removed it because cement blocks was donated

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > T-Mez & Shane Hmiel Roll Cages