IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
RacingGirl10 (Offline)
  #41 6/26/11 7:21 PM
I really do enjoy you saying that my son causes my husband to lose focus at a race. Actually that's the best comment I've heard on here so far. Yes, if Jerry raced locally all the time it would all be different. He would be home once in awhile and my son would get to see him instead of working in the shop during the day, and racing at night. And if he worked 9-5 that would be great as well, he'd be able to be home for dinner once in awhile instead of gone days or weeks at a time. But that's just not true. When we went to new Zealand you don't even have to have a pit pass to go in the pits, a ticket gets you anywhere in the facility. And amazingly enough I didn't see any of these children "running though the pits". In fact, everywhere I go I never do. I do however tend to see many adults in the way when drivers are trying to pull in to their pits, but never children... However it's all a moot point because the overwhelming majority of tracks allow kids in the pits, so if you would like to discuss the matter more I'll be the one in the trailer with my little red head.
Posted using Mobile Device
4 Likes: Dannypollock24, dirtshirt, mowerman, Stocko23
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #42 6/26/11 9:40 PM
Originally Posted by finishline:
there is no place for a baby stroller in a pit area! Babys in a motorhome, babys kept close to a hauler, ect... But babys being carried or in a stroller in a pit area is a bad bad bad idea!!
only if your careless is it a bad idea.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
cecil98 (Offline)
  #43 6/26/11 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by dirtshirt:
RACING IS A FAMILY SPORT . Most tracks in USA allow kids .Normally 1/2 price or free up to 12 .With signed waiver . Here is a USAC Champion's wife being drilled for stating her opinon on her family only.
Your being VERY UNFAIR TO HER.
Kids need to be with thier parents .Not at a babysitters........
are you kidding me? some kids are much better off with a babysitter than with "so-called" parents who would place them in perilous circumstances.......also, what 17 month old toddler gives a rat's @ss about seeing their mom's friends down in the pits? give me a break here folks......
Need For Speed (Offline)
  #44 6/26/11 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by racerdog45:
Did you go with your dad to work when you were a kid? Kids are allowed free or at greatly reduced rates into the stands, there is just NO PLACE for little kids in a pit area. It is a very dangerous place. Why for a few hours she can't sit in the stands while her husband does his job is beyond me. If he worked in a factory or office you wouldn't be able to do that. And most dad's have jobs that take them away for up to half a day and the family stays together.... Should be thankful of the fact they get to travel with him to work and watch him work. Don't worry tho, as soon as a kid gets killed the insurance companies will make the choice for you....... Kids don't need to be with a parent if that parent is at work and in a dangerous location....... we're not being unfair to anyone, we're being honest with our thoughts and feelings just like she was.....
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

OSHA would flip their wig if my wife brought my kids on a jobsite to watch me work!!

Hey kids, come into this factory and sit here on a chair 5' from me while I'm in working in this hot 1600amp switch gear...remember, don't touch 'the shiny parts', and watch out for the fork lifts. And hey, stay away from the machines while they're running!

Yeah, no distractions there

Mrs. Coons should be happy that she can sit in the stands with the little one and watch Jerry work. My wife and kids have never been allowed to watch me do my job -because it's too dangerous for them to be there-!!
SoIllSprinter (Offline)
  #45 6/26/11 11:37 PM
If I were a track owner I would not allow children in the pits for this simple reason, you cannot sign a waiver of rights for a minor. None will stand up in court. A waiver for a child is worthless.
RacingGirl10 (Offline)
  #46 6/26/11 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Need For Speed:
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

OSHA would flip their wig if my wife brought my kids on a jobsite to watch me work!!

Hey kids, come into this factory and sit here on a chair 5' from me while I'm in working in this hot 1600amp switch gear...remember, don't touch 'the shiny parts', and watch out for the fork lifts. And hey, stay away from the machines while they're running!

Yeah, no distractions there

Mrs. Coons should be happy that she can sit in the stands with the little one and watch Jerry work. My wife and kids have never been allowed to watch me do my job -because it's too dangerous for them to be there-!!
I can tell you your description is nothing like a night at the races?? It's more like sitting in the trailer playing cars or snackig during other classes and sitting in the grand stands during Jerrys race. But if thats your thought, that's interesting. Comparing it to a child sitting in a factory seems a little unreasonable to me, in a trailer and on a factory floor are a little different. Again, it's really a moot point because it's the race tracks decision, not message board posters.
Posted using Mobile Device
5 Likes: Dannypollock24, jerrythar500, mowerman, Pat O'Connor Fan, RadRacer
Dannypollock24 (Offline)
  #47 6/26/11 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by SoIllSprinter:
If I were a track owner I would not allow children in the pits for this simple reason, you cannot sign a waiver of rights for a minor. None will stand up in court. A waiver for a child is worthless.
If waivers were worthless then race tracks would be out of Business you guys are getting insane with your comments! Taking race tracks and comparing them to Factory's and Job sites come on! Do what you want with your kids and others do as they wish!

Danny 24
dirtshirt (Offline)
  #48 6/26/11 11:55 PM
I see alot of keyboard experts here in law and promotions .I have been going to dirttracks races since 1948 .Daytona Beach course to the last races I attended last nite in Vivian ,La.In between seen the tragic mistakes of human error .
As a parent i have tried not to place my child in a harmful situation .I have 4 kids .Oldest was raised watching races at Manzy every Friday And Saturday .The other three grew up in California ,Az ,Tx ,AR ,Ms and TN .If i went racing they all went.From 3 months on.All three worked with me weekends at tracks .At I-30 and Riverside and Southern All Star races.In the pits and grandstand areas.Now these wonderful children are all college graduates with degrees .
Here is the Pit Prices for July 3rd races at NAS

Grandstands Adults $15 Kids 12 & Under Free
Pits Adults $30 Kids 7-12 $5 6 & Under Free
See Y'll at the races ....
Dannypollock24 (Offline)
  #49 6/27/11 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
are you kidding me? some kids are much better off with a babysitter than with "so-called" parents who would place them in perilous circumstances.......also, what 17 month old toddler gives a rat's @ss about seeing their mom's friends down in the pits? give me a break here folks......
Are you kidding me? You do your thing with your kids! As others do with their own it's none of your business! Give you a break? Try giving other Parents a break all you want to do is stir up Shitz along with others If you don't like it buy all the tracks and change the rules!

Danny 24
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #50 6/27/11 12:13 AM
Teri,

The second you decided to name the thread "Bloomington Speedway Is Not Kid Friendly" you made whatever issue you had the other night or whatever point you were going to try to make twice as hard to make, because anybody who's spent any amount of time at all on the hillside @ Bloomington knows that more people probably take their kids to that track than any place. And it's been that way for many years. And if wasn't "kid friendly" that wouldn't be the case.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, ronmil, TNRustler