IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Mikeslot (Offline)
  #1 6/5/11 3:54 PM
Met the promoter of Clay County Raceway the first time at Brownstown Raceway during a MOWA sanctioned race he told us that he was running a non-wing show at Clay County and if he got more then 19 cars he would pay $1000 to win, but if he got 19 or less it would be $600 to win. Called him Saturday morning to confirm the pay out. He again said if he got more then 19 cars it would be $1000 to win, less then 19 cars it would be $600 to win. Drove from Decatur IL to Flora IL won the feature running the way a non-wing race should, running hard on the cushion. Went to the pay window and got a check for $400 for winning. All the competitors were pretty upset because they were paid less then expected.
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #2 6/5/11 5:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mikeslot:
Met the promoter of Clay County Raceway the first time at Brownstown Raceway during a MOWA sanctioned race he told us that he was running a non-wing show at Clay County and if he got more then 19 cars he would pay $1000 to win, but if he got 19 or less it would be $600 to win. Called him Saturday morning to confirm the pay out. He again said if he got more then 19 cars it would be $1000 to win, less then 19 cars it would be $600 to win. Drove from Decatur IL to Flora IL won the feature running the way a non-wing race should, running hard on the cushion. Went to the pay window and got a check for $400 for winning. All the competitors were pretty upset because they were paid less then expected.
How many sprint cars were there?

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Mikeslot (Offline)
  #3 6/5/11 7:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mud Packer:
How many sprint cars were there?
11 Sprint Cars
2 Likes: jim goerge, Mud Packer
mscs20 (Offline)
  #4 6/5/11 10:35 PM
The top 4 in the A were:
Terry Babb
Donnie Gentry
Aric Gentry
Steve Thomas

I'm not exactly sure of the the rest of the finish, hard to see behind yourself. In light of the light car counts at Haubstadt and Lawrenceburg, I guess 11 cars wasn't so bad.
Mikeslot (Offline)
  #5 6/5/11 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by mscs20:
The top 4 in the A were:
Terry Babb
Donnie Gentry
Aric Gentry
Steve Thomas

I'm not exactly sure of the the rest of the finish, hard to see behind yourself. In light of the light car counts at Haubstadt and Lawrenceburg, I guess 11 cars wasn't so bad.
Jacksonville is getting 20 to 28 sprint cars, but when they say they are paying $1400 to win they keep their word.
Pitstooge (Offline)
  #6 6/6/11 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mikeslot:
Jacksonville is getting 20 to 28 sprint cars, but when they say they are paying $1400 to win they keep their word.
Terry - Had there been 20 cars Saturday night, the payout would have been $1000 to win. No guarantee, but that is what is "posted". Also, not everyone likes to run with the tin-tops. We have 3 cars in the stable. 2 don't even have mounts for wings. Never had, never will.

We, too, were very disappointed at the payout Saturday. No where posted on this board is there a option for under 12 cars, as was stated Saturday. The only difference in purse stated on this board is under 20 cars, $600 to win. 20 and over, $1000 to win. After talking in depth with Steve Thomas about Danville last year, I can fully understand the pressures a promoter is under. However, the promoter should be present at the drivers meeting and make the payout perfectly clear at that point, not after the races. One other sticking point for me is having a drivers meeting AFTER hotlaps. I don't understand that at all. Been wrenching on these cars for a few years (!) and never seen that before.

We are still up in the air about future support for this track. Scratch that. We like the track and would love to go back. However, supporting a promoter that switches horses mid-stream, not so much. Michael, if you read this, please post a CONCRETE plan for purse payout and stick to it. You will further your relationship with the sprint cars if you can get this accomplished. I'm fairly certain that you have seen the last of a few cars from Saturday night, but there are some who will come back and others that will come if you stick to your word, regardless of the circumstances.

Peace!

Bill
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #7 6/6/11 1:41 AM
Did Steve run his Dad's car? He just blew his motor last week.
Posted via Mobile Device
claycountyspeedway (Offline)
  #8 6/6/11 3:27 AM
Well what can I say. I will start with I sent out over 75 payout sheets to drivers before season began with the purse breakdown with 1-12 400 to win 150 to start. 13to 20 600 to win 150 to start. Also payout sheets were in clear site at the pill draw booth and available for drivers. I also received at least 20 to 25 calls from drivers saying they would be there weekly but I stil had to cover my butt with a scaled purse. I am sorry I should have asked everyone at the drivers meeting if they were aware of the payout scale. It was never my intentions to (screw) anyone. I will accept any and all blame for this past sat. Night. With my other classes I haven't ever been in this situation before as far as a scaled purse goes in the past it really never crossed my mind that not all the drivers knew the purse and I hope the drivers who did receave a copy wil speak up to let everyone know that it was out there. Also when the drivers came to me on sat night wanting there extra 200 and 100 dolars if I did have the money to pay them I would have but to let everyone know we took a very large hit sat. There wasn't even enough money made to payout all of the purse. About 2600 dollars had to come out of my pocket to payout everyone. I know that's part of the job and the risk and I'm doing the best I can I will continue to run the sprints and the payout scale is available toanyone interested I do not have them on computer but I can mail them to you or pick one up at the track. Thanks michael
Posted via Mobile Device
Pitstooge (Offline)
  #9 6/6/11 5:17 AM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
Did Steve run his Dad's car? He just blew his motor last week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes. He drove the steel block car. Made it look pretty good, too!

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Originally Posted by claycountyspeedway:
Well what can I say. I will start with I sent out over 75 payout sheets to drivers before season began with the purse breakdown with 1-12 400 to win 150 to start. 13to 20 600 to win 150 to start. Also payout sheets were in clear site at the pill draw booth and available for drivers. I also received at least 20 to 25 calls from drivers saying they would be there weekly but I stil had to cover my butt with a scaled purse. I am sorry I should have asked everyone at the drivers meeting if they were aware of the payout scale. It was never my intentions to (screw) anyone. I will accept any and all blame for this past sat. Night. With my other classes I haven't ever been in this situation before as far as a scaled purse goes in the past it really never crossed my mind that not all the drivers knew the purse and I hope the drivers who did receave a copy wil speak up to let everyone know that it was out there. Also when the drivers came to me on sat night wanting there extra 200 and 100 dolars if I did have the money to pay them I would have but to let everyone know we took a very large hit sat. There wasn't even enough money made to payout all of the purse. About 2600 dollars had to come out of my pocket to payout everyone. I know that's part of the job and the risk and I'm doing the best I can I will continue to run the sprints and the payout scale is available toanyone interested I do not have them on computer but I can mail them to you or pick one up at the track. Thanks michael
Posted via Mobile Device
Michael - I do not doubt that there was a letter sent with your sliding pay scale on it. However, in todays electronic media age, the internet will supercede any snail mail 1000 fold. This is where your car count is going to come from. And there is a slim chance that every one on any given night recieved one of your letters. 2 points to make here: 1) On this very board, there was never a mention of the under 12 car sliding pay scale. This is what many of the racers are going by. And 2) The pill draw window is a poor place to post the payout. This should be at the sign in shack. That way, if a guy does not agree with the payout, they can leave without incident.

I am not attempting to flame or slam anyone here. I am trying to relay some ideas to better the racing expierience at Clay County Speedway. Some of us are a bit leery of promoters because of the hosing Joe Spiker gave the racers at Vermilion County Speedway a couple of years ago. I would hate to see that happen to CCS. You truly have a nice facility and we have had fun racing there. Hopefully, we can continue to do so!
claycountyspeedway (Offline)
  #10 6/6/11 9:49 AM
Thanks for advice and will do! I just wanna make this right. I have a team renting the track today but I will post it today and will have the payout posted at sign in booth. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: cowboyhar69, Steve Wendel