IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Columbus, IN Oldtimers' Reunion
2/28/11, 11:00 PM   #1
Columbus, IN Oldtimers' Reunion
Danny Burton

Jerry Castor has asked me to spread the word about the 13th Annual Columbus Speedway/25th St. Speedway Old Timers' Reunion.

This will be March 12 from 11-5 p.m. at the Bartholomew County 4-H Fairgrounds, on State Road 11, 2 miles south of State Road 46.

Yes, it will be inside a good sized building. The agenda includes Bench Racing (Butch Wilkerson should be there., Memorabilia, Food, Vintage and Modern cars, Scrapbooks, Photos, and Posters.

Vendor tables are $10. For more information call Jerry at 812-592-5010 or castorindy@cinergymetro.net.

Today Jerry added the following.

We have a 'Columbus Connection' car coming this year, the 'Doc Bowles Offy' first driven by Larry Crockett. I saw the car run at Salem in 1954, and it's a beautiful machine. Doc's grandson, Mark Bowles has agreed to bring the car from his home in Miamitown, OH.

Mike Anderson of the Edinburgh area is sending a restored 'Pike's Peak' hill climb car which (in it's day) set a new record for the climb, breaking the previous record held by Bobby Unser.

Mike Lynn of Greenwood, IN is bringing a 1930's unrestored Miller. Mike has kindly agreed to bring the car in its present rusty and beat up condition so our fans can see what the 'before' looks like, since they're accustomed to seeing the 'after' version of vintage race car restoration. And these are just a few featured cars, but there will be several more both vintage and modern.

This year's 'Hometown Hero' is a secret, known only to me and the Hero's name will be revealed at 1:00PM on March 12th. We did the 'secret' thing when we honored Allen Barr a few years back and it was well-received by our fans...and a complete surprise to Allen.

As always, we'll have auctions and trivia contest prizes. Steve Kinser has kindly donated T-shirts and hats this year, and we'll also have some Tony Stewart merchandise to give away. The concession stand will again feature our 'Nearly World Famous' Pork BBQ, corn dogs, popcorn, pie, coffee and soft drinks...and more delicious Peanut Butter Brownies which were a big hit last year.

John Mahoney will be on hand with great racing photos from back in the day, and First Turn Productions will again offer their great vintage racing DVD's.

The sad part of this for me is that I'll be up north, babysitting Swordmen.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

4 members like this post: Amatiforever, scooter99, SprintManDave, Xflagman
3/3/11, 6:01 PM   #2
Re: Columbus, IN Oldtimers' Reunion
robert gatten

can't wait to see the car driven by my 1st hero, "crash" Crockett ! I was a small boy and hung around a couple race shops in East Columbus when i first met him. My dad and i would go to races on his Indian scooter just so i could watch him race. I was 10 and at the Indy race when he was rookie of the year. Bought pictures of him two years ago at this show and there on my office wall ! I'll be there.

1 member likes this post: Danny Burton
3/4/11, 3:44 PM   #3
TQ29m

Yes, he was my "hero" also, I hung around Dan Walls shop, when he drove for Dan, baddest damn Ford 6cyl flathead ever, I suppose. I also had the fortune to get to ride "Hare & Hound", as it was known then, he had a WWll 45cu in Harley that he rode in the woods, I remember riding when he had the broken leg, didn't bother him, down hill, he'd just slide off,and let the bike go down, while he held that leg up, and slid down with it. Oh for some picture's of that! Bob

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, SprintManDave
3/10/11, 12:33 AM   #4
SprintManDave

Danny, obviously you are not the master of your own domain.

3/10/11, 7:25 AM   #5
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintManDave View Post
Danny, obviously you are not the master of your own domain.
Sorry, but a weekend with my grandkids trumps even racing every time. So, if I'm not the master of my domain due to that I'll happily plead guilty.

3/11/11, 3:05 PM   #6
robert gatten

Dave,takes a smart man to know who's the boss ! I asked if there was anything going on Sat before commiting my self to going, ha. Since it's not a race thought i had better clear it with the boss.

3/12/11, 11:27 PM   #7
Danny Burton

Just back from hand to hand combat with two rambunctious grandsons and see on Facebook that Columbus' own Butch Wilkerson was named Hometown Hero for the Reunion this year.

Way to go, big guy.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Columbus, IN Oldtimers' Reunion