IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #1 11/18/10 9:27 PM
I don't know if this is good or bad, but here is a new engine for USAC. I guess it would only compete in the Western series. I'd like to hear from some owners, wrenches, and drivers to see what they think.

http://www.usacracing.com/sprint_index/news_s/4212.html

For those about to rock, we salute you.
JordanBlanton (Offline)
  #2 11/18/10 9:54 PM
Originally Posted by SpfldMile:
I don't know if this is good or bad, but here is a new engine for USAC. I guess it would only compete in the Western series. I'd like to hear from some owners, wrenches, and drivers to see what they think.

http://www.usacracing.com/sprint_index/news_s/4212.html
Is this similar to the 427 that Schatz had tested earlier in the year, with less CI?
Crankin (Offline)
  #3 11/19/10 10:28 AM
I am sure there will be tons of negativity, but on the surface (In other words just reading the press release), all I can say is my opinion is: WHY DIDN'T YOU DO THIS YEARS AGO!!??? :2:

leonhaupt (Offline)
  #4 11/19/10 12:36 PM
Tony Hunt is points leader in USAC western sprint series this year with one of this motors. A motor like this is under $18000.00. Make you think. You can visit Schwanke racing engines to check it out.[IMG]si9009_2650[/IMG]
tjcain58 (Offline)
  #5 11/19/10 1:11 PM
My question is the bulletion says it okd for national but does it have the bottom end to run with the 410s or is it just a cali motor for the 360s
Posted via Mobile Device
short track scott (Offline)
  #6 11/19/10 4:03 PM
For what its worth, I believe this is the same engine config Tony Hunt ran to a top 5 in the Little 500 this year. It had plenty of pop and stayed in the mix all night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Seadog (Offline)
  #7 11/19/10 4:20 PM
What if they ran this engine with the 410 sprints and gave it a lower minimum weight like when they were running the V6 Buick in USAC?
Z-man (Offline)
  #8 11/19/10 4:24 PM
Is this an electronic fuel injection engine?
Seadog (Offline)
  #9 11/19/10 4:56 PM
Originally Posted by Z-man:
Is this an electronic fuel injection engine?
The USAC article has this if this helps answer the question - "The new engines currently comply with USAC Western and Rocky Mountain Sprint rules (410 c.i. with restrictions), with a waiver on electronic ignition and fuel delivery."
Tony74 (Offline)
  #10 11/19/10 5:00 PM
I'm not sure which block they are using but if it is a steel block would be tough to have a lesser weight than the standard 410 without using titanium and carbon fiber.

Tony Hunt's motor did run well against 410's at a quarter mile pavement track....

I would like to see one of these motors run non-wing on a dirt quarter mile and compare how hard they can grunt off the cushion.