IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Marty Boyer
  #11 12/8/07 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by :
the cars are plastered to the ground and they don't breathe the motors at all, they don't flat-foot them. there is much more strain on a high banked track where you flat-foot the motor the whole time,
It sounds like Belleville

Midgets : Belleville High Banks

Sprints : Eldora Speedway
Bubzilla (Offline)
  #12 12/8/07 12:21 PM
My observations are that it would be a track that you're constantly on and off the throttle, not one that you run flat out the whole lap. Most motors I've seen start to blow up get hurt initially due to the sudden RPM changes.

The ever changing stresses and harmonics with varying the engine RPM's is extremely hard on the rods, rollers, and piston wrist pin areas, not to mention the cam gear drive backlash lag on deceleration offering the valves an opportunity to kiss the piston a few times.

Joe Mc.
jjsprt92 (Offline)
  #13 12/8/07 3:36 PM
Knoxville with a wing
cecil98 (Offline)
  #14 12/8/07 4:59 PM
My observations are that it would be a track that you're constantly on and off the throttle, not one that you run flat out the whole lap......Bubzilla

we're going to have to agree to disagree.
CTtoPA (Offline)
  #15 12/8/07 6:46 PM
Cecil, I believe you are incorrect about your flat-foot theory. Stop and go is rougher on an engine than constant rpm. I would like to see an engine builder weigh in on this.
wbr (Offline)
  #16 12/8/07 6:51 PM
midget: Iowa
Sprinter: Pheonix International
sprint 98j
  #17 12/8/07 8:34 PM
Winchester with wings. 180 mph twice a lap and incredable G's (suck the poop right out of you if your not careful) for winged sprints Have to duck down to see under the wing in 3/4 to see the turn. We get If we are lucky 10 shows out of a fresh on pavemwnt. I have friends that claim 30 show on dirt non wing. don't know anything about midgets cept they are small.
rhamilton91 (Offline)
  #18 12/8/07 9:17 PM
salem with a wing could probably hurt some motors as well
sprint 98j
  #19 12/8/07 9:44 PM
Salem is tough sucked an oil filter inside out there and killed the motor next show. But salem is too bumpy to flatfoot like winchester, especially turn 4. But tough indeed
Onlydirt (Offline)
  #20 12/9/07 12:12 AM
I agree that the constant up and down on the throttle eats a motor more than RPM. It just the physics of it.