IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > With or Without a wing...which is faster
11/4/10, 11:47 AM   #1
With or Without a wing...which is faster
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

The reason I bring this up is I had a conversation with a racer that his excuse for not racing my series was the non wing is faster then the wing cars (mini sprint). I kinda laugh and told this gentleman there was no way on god's green earth the winged cars are slower. He said, "I beg to differ, we had our car out on the road and a sheriff clocked it with and without the wing and it was faster without." Are you serious?
I suppose that could be true but do we drag raced and not race in a circle? I could not make this person understand with a wing the corner speed is much faster thus the straightaway speed is greater....

I guess the saying...."You can lead a horse to water but you sure as hell can not make him drink".....is true

Just wanted to give my fellow non wing fans a laugh today!!!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Last edited by Wayne Davis; 11/4/10 at 11:50 AM.

11/4/10, 12:13 PM   #2
Re: With or Without a wing...which is faster
wideopen24

A winged Sprintcar is normally about 2 seconds fatser than a non-wing car... but it is possible that with and under powered car that already has little to no tire spin the wing could slow it down depending on the race track but i doubt it...

11/4/10, 12:37 PM   #3
darnall

The wing causes a ton of drag. if traction isn't an issue the non wing car will have a faster top speed but the corner speeds of a wing car allow it 2 have faster lap times. Down a half mile or longer stretch of pavement the car without a wing will top end better.

1 member likes this post: Jimmydiesel
11/4/10, 12:37 PM   #4
ThevoiceUS24

From the times I recieve from the transponders the wing cars are faster. we have cars that run both classes and i have seen a pick up of over a second on the same car with a wing.

11/4/10, 12:48 PM   #5
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa outlaw View Post
the reason i bring this up is i had a conversation with a racer that his excuse for not racing my series was the non wing is faster then the wing cars (mini sprint). I kinda laugh and told this gentleman there was no way on god's green earth the winged cars are slower. He said, "i beg to differ, we had our car out on the road and a sheriff clocked it with and without the wing and it was faster without." are you serious?
I suppose that could be true but do we drag raced and not race in a circle? I could not make this person understand with a wing the corner speed is much faster thus the straightaway speed is greater....

I guess the saying...."you can lead a horse to water but you sure as hell can not make him drink".....is true

Just wanted to give my fellow non wing fans a laugh today!!!
a non wing car is faster on the straightaway!!!!!!!!!! We raced springfield silver crown and woo sprints the same day ill highway patrol had aradar gun on every car! And the silver crown cars where 15 mph faster on the straightaway and the woo cars where 3 sec faster a lap!

11/4/10, 12:49 PM   #6
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnall View Post
The wing causes a ton of drag. if traction isn't an issue the non wing car will have a faster top speed but the corner speeds of a wing car allow it 2 have faster lap times. Down a half mile or longer stretch of pavement the car without a wing will top end better.

agree if we are DRAG racing ...just thought it was a poor excuse not to come race

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

11/4/10, 12:51 PM   #7
Isaac Chapple Racing

Here's what a wing can do for ya' on dirt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NgRtRZps8c :2:

11/4/10, 12:52 PM   #8
KOP

At the Knoxville USAC race in August, the winged 305 sprints ran the same night. They were 10 mph faster than the 410 non wingers but.............

The non wingers put on a MUCH better show!

1 member likes this post: billwill7
11/4/10, 12:57 PM   #9
Isaac Chapple Racing

I agree, non wings usually put on a much better show on the dirt than the wings do on dirt. On pavement, I kinda like the wings.

11/4/10, 1:37 PM   #10
ThevoiceUS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOP View Post
At the Knoxville USAC race in August, the winged 305 sprints ran the same night. They were 10 mph faster than the 410 non wingers but.............

The non wingers put on a MUCH better show!
I agree 100% non wing much better show

1 member likes this post: billwill7
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > With or Without a wing...which is faster