IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Hamby812 (Offline)
  #1 10/30/10 2:12 PM
This is just something ive thought about for awhile now. I like the series a lot it gets quality cars and races at great tracks. The one thing that I wouldnt say I dislike but does discourge me about the series is the pill draw format. I understand it is fair to all if just the luck of the draw but wouldnt mind seeing something diffrent in the upcoming season. I personally would love to see single car qualifying, I understand the consequences of it tho and understand if you dont find it rewarding due to the track going away for the later cars etc. I also really like the passing points setup, it seems to work very well and dont slow the show down. I do not care for group qualifying...same wear on the track and may hinder a faster car from getting the best lap possible due to a slower car on the track etc. If you wanted to reward your season long competitors and get away from the pill draw you could do single car qualifying and just go in order of the points standings. 1st in points goes out 1st and on down. I cant give you the correct answer on what would be best, but I do know fans and even some drivers would love to see something other than a pill draw format used for your series. Ultimately the decision is yours to make and I respect whatever decision you do make I'm just throwing it out there from a fans perspective that I would love to see something diffrent.

Sincerely,
Nathon Hamby
4 Likes: Jimmydiesel, mowerman, Pat O'Connor Fan, SHORTBUS
Go Fast (Offline)
  #2 10/30/10 2:32 PM
TNT format. Heats by draw, qualifiers, D-C-B mains if needed, A-main.
Makes you race hard every time out and is fair for everyone.

If MSCS can find an easy way to track the points and arrange the lineups for the qualifiers etc why would you not want to do it. Fans love it.

Gary Ooley

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!
5 Likes: Hamby812, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, skids59, TNRustler
flyer (Offline)
  #3 10/30/10 4:01 PM
I agree with Gary. But my best guess is MSCS will balk at new ideas although probably agree to "take a look at them and get back to you.....again.
2 Likes: Hamby812, Pat O'Connor Fan
oppweld (Offline)
  #4 10/30/10 5:18 PM
TNT format would be ideal, at least use the passing points even if you don't add the qualifiers would be great. Plus move the series up north sometimes. Tri City, 34Raceway, Danville would be a great weekend!
2 Likes: Hamby812, skids59
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #5 10/30/10 5:40 PM
Not a fan of the draw position either, group qualifying would be ok but not so many cars on the track at a time.
Pine (Offline)
  #6 10/30/10 5:48 PM
Due to changing track conditions from your first car to the last car out, I think the fairest way I've seen Quals run was:

1) set your qualifying order.
2) Everyone gets TWO laps.
3) You run ONE lap at a time.
4) When you get to the last car in the order, he runs TWO consecutive laps, then you work your order backwards
5) First car out gets LAST lap.
6) Take the average times of the two laps run and thats your time.

It's still going to benefit the cars that ran their times when the track was the fastest, whether it be early or late, but it will average things out a little more....
2 Likes: FishBurger, Hamby812
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #7 10/30/10 9:47 PM
Originally Posted by Pine:
Due to changing track conditions from your first car to the last car out, I think the fairest way I've seen Quals run was:

2) Everyone gets TWO laps.
3) You run ONE lap at a time.
4) When you get to the last car in the order, he runs TWO consecutive laps, then you work your order backwards
5) First car out gets LAST lap.
6) Take the average times of the two laps run and thats your time.

It's still going to benefit the cars that ran their times when the track was the fastest, whether it be early or late, but it will average things out a little more....
That is exactly how it was done many years ago when I was an official in Illinois. I haven't seen it done since then and I would find it extremely interesting if a series or track were to try it.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
SHORTBUS (Offline)
  #8 10/30/10 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by pine:
due to changing track conditions from your first car to the last car out, i think the fairest way i've seen quals run was:

2) everyone gets two laps.
3) you run one lap at a time.
4) when you get to the last car in the order, he runs two consecutive laps, then you work your order backwards
5) first car out gets last lap.
6) take the average times of the two laps run and thats your time.

thats the way we used to do it in the old days at sweet owen speedway ---- ( a loooong time ago )
lovindirt
  #9 10/31/10 9:20 AM
And if their are 60 plus cars then the later ones are screwed again because that particular track didn't hold the moisture well or what have ya. That is why the draw and move the show along into heats or what ever format they want for that particular night is usually the fairest way for it all.Its nice for the sponsor and the fans but extra laps on the racers wallet. And the price of stuff today, one screwup and the whole nite is over and certain places you don't get even tow money unless your in the B main. So now that really sucks don't it.

JMO Jeff