IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
terrehautian (Offline)
  #21 9/29/10 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by D.O.:
Steve and Al Thomas are the point men of a group trying to help racing by adding a month of events at VCS.

Support them this weekend and if you don't like it, end your season and stay home the next week.

Everybody is aware of the ACST problems, this is a Steve Thomas and friends event.

One of those friends is John Gurley as he is promoting it on his website and on 4m.

Steve wants to promote this event at VCS to keep the track open. The fairboard doesn't care if they have a race track or parking lot.
The track is a good track and I have seen many good races there in all classes.
For those support class haters, there will be additional classes cause they help pay the bills too.
Bombers have been added to the Mods, Mini Sprints and Sprint cars.
I think bomber rules are open except for no rollers,

Come spend a day this Saturday and see what happens.
Choices for a weekend are dropping off. Here is an addition.

See you there.

D.O.
Originally Posted by racefan20:
Who is then?
See first quote.
OZ11 (Offline)
  #22 9/29/10 8:14 PM
Anybody know the rules for sprint cars ? I know about the spec RR tire but what about mufflers, or any other things on the car ? Nobody has returned my calls from the track staff. thanks
racefan20 (Offline)
  #23 9/29/10 9:03 PM
Originally Posted by terrehautian:
Gurley is not the promoter of the track, not going to reiterate that because it has been mentioned quite a few times.
Originally Posted by terrehautian:
See first quote.
I guess you did reiterate. I didnt see Steve Thomas's name on the original quote, since it was edited this morning after my question last night I can only assume that that important piece of info was added then. If you will notice I wasnt the only one wondering. I am capable of following a thread and I plan to make it there in a few weeks after the races I had already planned to go to run out. Are YOU going to make it there??

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
D.O. (Offline)
  #24 9/29/10 9:11 PM
Only thing I changed was adding John Gurley as one of Steve's promotional friends.

Dt3 or Mc 3 for tires don't think muffs are on the rules.

john3g
  #25 9/29/10 9:15 PM
Some on here have NO idea what it takes to compete week to week or what it takes to try and make something like the ASCT deal a reality. It just kills me to read some of the posts that are on here. You question and condemn others for doing what you would never try or could never do. You would never attempt to do anything more than just pay your general admission and sit high in the stands and not give a second thought of what really goes on beyond the pit gate and this what has become so hard to swallow. I will admit that I have said somethings that I'm not proud of and that if I could I would love to take my words and comments back but as we all know that it just can't be done and I have also made some very fast but ultimately bad decisions this year based on some very unsound advice and for those I will take the blame. I have lost more money this year than most people make in two years but again that's my fault not the racers or fans. I trusted people that have outright lied to me and took complete advantage of me and the people that were helping this series. This has been the main reason for 99% of our problems but I understand the buck stops here. I have tried to correct the mistakes as best I could but it has been difficult to rebound positively do to the snow ball effect. The worst thing that has happened though is the loss of trust in some circles. That will haunt me for a long time. All I can do is move forward and correct the mistakes as I go. I will admit that loosing races for no apparent reason even though you have a signed contract has hurt us tremendously. It's a no win deal for me. If I sue then were bashed for doing it if I don't then it's just another ASCT typical deal of “nobody wants us or has faith in us” so what do we do. I do hold some measure of comfort in the fact that the people on the inside know the real story because they have been involved with the series from the start. Now, to the people that say that they weren't impressed with our shows, well, I'm not sure which one you where at. The Shadyhill show even with the low car count was outstanding!! The North Vernon show even with the promoter issues was also great!! Brownstown IL and the shows at Flora, where the same “great” for both of the nights but I truly believe that for the most part the nay say's were never going to get behind this deal anyways. I have proven this year that you can't please some no matter how hard you try or how hard you work at it but that's their problem and they know who they are. Some on here bash us because it makes them feel better about themselves and they are worst because they speak the loudest and get the most attention. Sad. However these are the ones that when confronted face to face cower like a scared dog and always say the same thing,”well I didn't mean it that way” or “I'm behind you a 100%”. Oh, for the record, I did let a couple of friends use my computer to post positive remarks on this site but it was never me only because I swore I was done with all of his of until now. I would also like to thank the several owners that have said thank you to me for at least pushing the purses up at the local shows. Now, I never really put a lot of credence in these comments but you know, when you think about a couple of tracks did bump the purse after we got started. Now I'm sure that will start an argument among some of the daily bashers by me saying this but the truth is I think the folks that actually own the cars and spend the big bucks know better than anyone.
As for this weekend we were invited to participate and help out. I will be there tomorrow all day with a bunch of GREAT people mowing and cleaning up for this weekend so feel free to drop by if you have anything you would like to talk about. The race track has already been graded and the prep is underway. It looking GREAT!!
In closing I would like to say this, NO one has to support me or the the ASCT but we ALL need and should support Steve, Rob and the Vermilion County Fair board. I would hate to see pictures of a grass field or a paved parking lot with a caption that read, “This is the site of the old Vermilion County Speedway” but ultimately the decision is yours.
Out of respect for all involved this weekend for all the hard work that has put out by everyone I will NOT respond to any negative posting pertaining to this post. So, if you any comments toward me or the series feel free to call.

John
terrehautian (Offline)
  #26 9/29/10 9:16 PM
Originally Posted by racefan20:
I guess you did reiterate. I didnt see Steve Thomas's name on the original quote, since it was edited this morning after my question last night I can only assume that that important piece of info was added then. If you will notice I wasnt the only one wondering. I am capable of following a thread and I plan to make it there in a few weeks after the races I had already planned to go to run out. Are YOU going to make it there??
Sadly no, I have plans made out for the Saturdays for October. I didn't know any races going on that I planed on attending when I made plans. I wish them good luck though. Plus in other threads that were for this race, it mentioned Steve was promoting.
mscs20 (Offline)
  #27 9/29/10 9:51 PM
No mufflers required and also we will allow the ASCS tire. No other rules needed that I can think of.
Race gas will be there for the other classes. I just returned from the track.....it looks great. It was graded last night. Watered tonight. And prep will continue thru race time. Mowing and weedeating took place today, and some general clean up.

Channel 3 WCIA (CBS) stopped by and did an interview with me and did some track shots, so those who get that can watch it on the 10pm news. Or you can view
it on their website. Grady Crippin, who does the tracks Facebook page will have it on there to view also when it is available.
More calls today from drivers wanting to come, including the return of Hud Cone, who might be in Mahans 7x car.

Thanks to all who have called,
Steve
Posted via Mobile Device
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #28 9/29/10 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by john3g:
Oh, for the record, I did let a couple of friends use my computer to post positive remarks on this site but it was never me only because I swore I was done with all of his of until now.
You guys should at least get your story straight, John. At the time, another account was registered for your I.P. address for the sole purpose of logging on to pump something that you were trying to get going. And you were caught red handed. The site has software that immediately alerts the moderators of this kind of activity. So you're not fooling anybody. Back then, you apparently told your P.R. guy, Big Jim, to tell us that one of your "neighbors" must have been stealing your wireless signal. So, either you weren't being honest with him or he just made that up.

Just be straight with people, John. I talk to hundreds of race fans, track people, drivers and people involved with race teams, every year. Most of them have a few things in common. As a lot, they're technically minded people and as a general rule, they're pretty street smart. You can work your way into being well thought of by them, but you're not going to BS your way there. And portraying yourself as the victim and blaming everyone else isn't going to work, either. It never works. Especially with these kind of people. Until you accept responsibility for your organization failing this year (and it did) and change your approach, all you're going to do is repeat the same outcome. Good luck in your future endeavors.

With that said, I wish Steve luck. This is a great track and it's a really nice facility. I was there quite a few times last year and once this year for Illinois Sprint Week. The place is one of the raciest joints around, on most nights.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
illinisprintfan (Offline)
  #29 9/30/10 9:03 AM
I can't make it this week or next week, but if they are racing after that I am going to make an effort to get there. It might be a little cold, but that is why Carhartt is in business!!
Haulerin2deep (Offline)
  #30 9/30/10 9:17 AM
With the help of a couple of really great friends (sponsors) we are going to be able to make it on Saturday assuming we are still together after Granite City tonight and tomorrow. I hope anyone who can gives Steve a shot. I sure will. C ya ll. I am out of here in 4 hours. Cant wait!!!!!

Chad Branson

Bring your sweatshirts and stop by the trailer any night to visit.