Register! Forgot Password?
tjcain58 (Offline)
  #11 7/28/10 4:49 PM
Yes osky has been for couple years now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kirk Spridgeon (Offline)
  #12 7/28/10 4:49 PM
Originally Posted by RGardner:
Was the osky race last year a usac race?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes.
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #13 7/28/10 4:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon:
As you could see by my tweet today, it says a lot about our drivers and teams when we can only get that many to enter and help support the event.
I know the race does not pay as much, but it is also the first one, and it would be nice if Knoxville could have some support in this endeavor. Instead, they get 14 entries so far (which means no one wanted to save any money on the entry fee), and half of those are either winged regulars, won't be there, or will have different drivers for the race.

Oskaloosa is pretty much the same list.
I am embarrassed.
Spridge,

Lincoln Park drew mid 20's last Saturday night for a USAC show. 1/2 an hour from Indianapolis. What would make you think that Knoxville, IA,10+ or - hours away would draw a huge car count? Pay out is about the same and if the locals here in Indiana don't support shows here, I doubt they would haul that far away to race. Remember, this is a SUNDAY night show as well.

The economy isn't any better and the racers here can't seem to afford 3 nights per weekend in Indiana. Also, many folks have already used up much if not all of their vacation and free time during sprint week and midget week. It certainly doesn't surprise me.

Indiana is a hot bed for 410 traditional sprint car racing. How many other states even have non-wing races weekly? I guess I was more surprised that only 101 410 sprint cars are pre-registered on the wing side. That count is down somewhat from years past as well. USAC certainly isn't the drawing card it once was.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
2 Likes: IndyBound, jim goerge
wideopen24 (Offline)
  #14 7/28/10 4:57 PM
USAC had a "buckeye nationals" for a 2-3 years it ran sprintcar and migdets....if i remember rite we ran lima, attica, fremont, and eldora... waynesfield, skiline, and k-c would be good to add if USAC did an OHIO tour!
MWestfallfan54 (Offline)
  #15 7/28/10 5:10 PM
Originally Posted by wideopen24:
USAC had a "buckeye nationals" for a 2-3 years it ran sprintcar and migdets....if i remember rite we ran lima, attica, fremont, and eldora... waynesfield, skiline, and k-c would be good to add if USAC did an OHIO tour!
that would be awesome!
Kirk Spridgeon (Offline)
  #16 7/28/10 5:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mud Packer:
Spridge,

Lincoln Park drew mid 20's last Saturday night for a USAC show. 1/2 an hour from Indianapolis. What would make you think that Knoxville, IA,10+ or - hours away would draw a huge car count? Pay out is about the same and if the locals here in Indiana don't support shows here, I doubt they would haul that far away to race. Remember, this is a SUNDAY night show as well.

The economy isn't any better and the racers here can't seem to afford 3 nights per weekend in Indiana. Also, many folks have already used up much if not all of their vacation and free time during sprint week and midget week. It certainly doesn't surprise me.

Indiana is a hot bed for 410 traditional sprint car racing. How many other states even have non-wing races weekly? I guess I was more surprised that only 101 410 sprint cars are pre-registered on the wing side. That count is down somewhat from years past as well. USAC certainly isn't the drawing card it once was.
The low count in Indiana is not surprising. It was after Sprintweek, had races against it, and some guys are just not a fan of Putnamville yet. If you look at last year's car counts at Knoxville and Oskaloosa, it proves that guys want to make the trip.

This trip is a destination for a lot of guys. People will take a weekend off from racing to prepare themselves to head west. Car count is not my concern for this race - PLENTY of guys have told me that they will be making the trip to Knoxville & Oskaloosa.

The problem is the lack of seeing the big picture in Sprint Car Racing right now. The Outlaws are seeing bigger crowds than ever simply by spreading themselves over more markets. People ask me all the time why there aren't USAC or traditional Sprint Car races in certain states or areas. The answer isn't a lack of interest. The answer is that there are very few who aspire to be more than a weekend/hobby Sprint Car racer in our arena right now. I feel like that tide is turning somewhat, but racing three times a weekend in Indiana does nothing but hurt payouts, crowds, and car counts here in our home state.

I've always laughed at people on this message board who whine about not having any USAC Sprint Car races in this area from Sprintweek until September. Well yeah, that's because no one will show up.

Just to be clear, my post was only to point out that drivers, teams, and fans need to support these shows if they ever want better things for Sprint Car racers. If you want Dave Darland to make more money, or young drivers to be content racing Sprint Cars, or to see your favorite race cars on TV again, the answer is to think more big-picture as to what is good for the whole of Sprint Car racing...Knoxville pays a million dollars to the Knoxville Nationals participants this year. They pay something like $20,000+ to the USAC crowd. Making excuses or blaming the track will get us nowhere. Knoxville, and just about anywhere else in the country, is willing to pay out...if it's worth it!
7 Likes: AustinSprinter, Dirtfan, Drtchsr, IndyBound, jerrydt, Jimmydiesel, mowerman
MacTexas (Offline)
  #17 7/28/10 5:15 PM
Originally Posted by apexonephoto:
(2) seven car heats and a feature... for $20 on a Sunday after (3) days of 360's.

Sounds like a get together, where as the 360's sounds like an event.
I would pay $20 just to watch the wingless car hot lap at Knoxville.
Kirk Spridgeon (Offline)
  #18 7/28/10 5:16 PM
Originally Posted by wideopen24:
It was not successful because it did not make money. Eldora had made a gentleman's agreement to swap out their Saturday date at some point, and that never happened. This was five years ago, but it is now difficult to do a good sprint/midget doubleheader anywhere and actually make money on it. That's a big nut to crack.

K-C is posting a good purse on Saturday for USAC Sprint Cars. The date was a tough one with tracks in Indiana being busy already, but then Eldora added a date right on top of K-C, which will make things even tougher.

I always hate to see a new track step up and invite Sprint Cars into their house, pay a substantial purse ($5K to win, $1K for 5th, $600 to start) and not be rewarded. I truly hope I see some support for them on Saturday...
tjcain58 (Offline)
  #19 7/28/10 5:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon:
The low count in Indiana is not surprising. It was after Sprintweek, had races against it, and some guys are just not a fan of Putnamville yet. If you look at last year's car counts at Knoxville and Oskaloosa, it proves that guys want to make the trip.

This trip is a destination for a lot of guys. People will take a weekend off from racing to prepare themselves to head west. Car count is not my concern for this race - PLENTY of guys have told me that they will be making the trip to Knoxville & Oskaloosa.

The problem is the lack of seeing the big picture in Sprint Car Racing right now. The Outlaws are seeing bigger crowds than ever simply by spreading themselves over more markets. People ask me all the time why there aren't USAC or traditional Sprint Car races in certain states or areas. The answer isn't a lack of interest. The answer is that there are very few who aspire to be more than a weekend/hobby Sprint Car racer in our arena right now. I feel like that tide is turning somewhat, but racing three times a weekend in Indiana does nothing but hurt payouts, crowds, and car counts here in our home state.

I've always laughed at people on this message board who whine about not having any USAC Sprint Car races in this area from Sprintweek until September. Well yeah, that's because no one will show up.

Just to be clear, my post was only to point out that drivers, teams, and fans need to support these shows if they ever want better things for Sprint Car racers. If you want Dave Darland to make more money, or young drivers to be content racing Sprint Cars, or to see your favorite race cars on TV again, the answer is to think more big-picture as to what is good for the whole of Sprint Car racing...Knoxville pays a million dollars to the Knoxville Nationals participants this year. They pay something like $20,000+ to the USAC crowd. Making excuses or blaming the track will get us nowhere. Knoxville, and just about anywhere else in the country, is willing to pay out...if it's worth it!
Yes! Thank you! They have 305 non wings in Kansas City that pay better(compared to cost of racing vs a 410) then most usac shows why because pepole support the races!
Posted via Mobile Device
bahawk (Offline)
  #20 7/28/10 5:32 PM
I hope there is a good car count and crowd at Knoxville. It would nice to have some sort of multi-day event that could pull some of the west coast teams in. A single day, $5000 show is not going to do that.

Aside from sprint speed week you either have a good crowd or good car count. When Lawrenceburg had the back to back $10,000 shows last fall, it had the car count but the crowd seemed to be very light for the bigger payout.

I think it would be great to see more shows in Ohio, but too many people think speed = good racing.