IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > why or how did you become a fan?
7/15/10, 12:14 PM   #1
why or how did you become a fan?
foytfan

this may have been done before but I just thought it might be interesting to find out if there was one moment that stuck out that made you a fan of a certain driver? For me it was being at Terre Haute with my dad and seeing A.J. Foyt walk into the grandstands, sit down beside my dad and say "Don how the hell are you?" It hade been about 20 years since they had seen each other. dad never raced. But come to find out he used to follow usac to most of the races around the midwest. AJ wasent running that night but he was still doing the indy car and nascar thing. that's when I became a fan.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/15/10, 4:03 PM   #2
Re: why or how did you become a fan?
BIGEBUDMAN

Rudy got me drunk on blessed wine!

7/15/10, 4:09 PM   #3
terrehautian

I volunteered to help get the Action Track in shape when King and company took over. I had never been to a race. I was given access to the area where photographers stand for myself to shoot pictures. After the first race I was hooked. I really like being involved with tracks (I like to work before the races) and hope to get the chance later on again.

7/15/10, 4:34 PM   #4
Race Chic

Became a darland fan around the age of 2! My dad always took us to the races and the cool name of dd stuck and been watching him since! Became a fan of shane cottle about 5 years ago went to a race at kokomo and he was just impressive!!
Posted via Mobile Device

7/15/10, 5:26 PM   #5
tjcain58

I was born into it. My dad was racing so as soon as my mom left the hospital we were on our way to Okc.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/15/10, 6:31 PM   #6
sprntr

It's all my Dad's fault!

He started taking me to the races at the Minnesota State Fair in 1958. Been hooked ever since.

Here's to you Dad!

7/15/10, 7:32 PM   #7
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

my dad started taking me when i was 2 or 3 i remember my favorite was always the one who rides it high cause hes not afraid to die jack hewitt!
Posted via Mobile Device

7/15/10, 7:59 PM   #8
ByronMack

My dad took me to my first race at Bloomington speedway when I was barely old enough to walk. Been hooked ever since. Also growing up in oolitic just up the hill from Carl kinsers garage didn't hurt any. Always loved to hear it when they fired up one of Steve's cars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by ByronMack; 7/15/10 at 8:00 PM.

7/15/10, 9:07 PM   #9
Mach2

1948 Pop and Uncle Jim took me to Carroll Speedway in Gardena, CA., when I was 4. Midget race. Sounds, the smell of castor oil in the offy's and the different colored satin jackets thru the dust and I was hooked.

7/15/10, 11:15 PM   #10
cecil98

My dad raced modifieds at area tracks around the tri-state area (Cincinnati) from 1949 thru 1960 but, I got hooked when he took me to my first USAC sprint car race at IRP in 1961 and Parnelli cleaned their clocks. Been hooked on sprinters and Parnelli ever since. He took me to my first 500 in '64 Stand J (exit of turn 4). Can you imagine what this 10 yr old kid witnessed within the first 3 minutes of that race??? An incredible experience !!!!!!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > why or how did you become a fan?