IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dallara? Really IndyCar?
7/14/10, 1:29 PM   #11
Re: Dallara? Really IndyCar?
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
If I'm reading this correctly,could Danny Drinan, Bob East and others in Gasoline Alley build these aero parts? If so, that's a great deal for them.
Sounds like it, which is outstanding news in that regard!

7/14/10, 1:31 PM   #12
Vukie

I see that Trackforum.com has crashed.

7/14/10, 1:33 PM   #13
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I’m going to let it play out a little before I form an opinion. I was hoping another company(s) would build them to get a fresh direction. If the parts and pieces can really be developed by anybody that wants to do it, then it will be OK. Let’s face it, the days of building a whole car in a garage in Speedway are over and aren’t coming back. Having a spec tub with the body being able to be developed the way a company wants to might be the only way to get “innovation” back. I still say drives build the sport, not cars. Nascar isn’t popular because of the racing….it can’t be. People hated when rear engine cars came in, but the popularity stayed because of the drivers. I really like that they will be built here. The price drop is also huge and a big deal. The key is being able to hire anybody you want to drive the car….not just taking sponsor money from a driver because the car is so expensive (Milka Duno can finally go away like the league wants her to). This may solve that. Now let’s see what happens on the motor side with the specs they have out there…..

It was great that Levi got some love during the opening comments. Loved hearing that….now we just need to get him in a car.

7/14/10, 1:58 PM   #14
D.O.

This is a lot like Dallara building the Audi tubs. Audi designed their body on it.

If noting else guys like Danny can at least draw up their ideas for others. Bruce Ashmore can still have a BAT design on the track and so could swift and the other designers.

The big deal is Indiana and Speedway gaining some growth and opening a lot of doors for fabrictors in Indy.
It's still going to cost a lot of money but looks like the money is going a lot of postive ways.

7/14/10, 2:22 PM   #15
ClaytonYeley

http://www.youtube.com/indycarseries#p/u/2/daMcG8UTLyM

http://www.youtube.com/indycarseries#p/u/0/5EEYzH5tWXM

7/14/10, 2:34 PM   #16
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Henry and I went to the presentation. It was so packed, we couldn't get into the room, but we stood at the back of the upstairs gallery, and could hear everything.

I was very impressed with the PR effort and organization that went into the presentation but, at the end of the day, I really could not possibly care less. They are still going to be silly looking karts, driven by guys I never heard of. I'm not going to watch any of the races where the drivers gain their reputations, especially since most of them are in Brazil. I'm not going to read the Wall Street Journal pages that describe where the money comes from to buy the rides. When they come to New Hampshire next year, I might go but, like most of the audience, I'll be there to watch the Modified race.

I used to watch the Indy Cars at Trenton, Langhorne (dirt), and Syracuse. The year Jimmy Clark ran off with the show at Trenton was the last paved track Indy Car race I ever attended. Twice, while helping Louis Seymour, I flew home on the day of the 500. Finally, Louis convinced me to go, and got me some really great seats. He asked me what I thought, I told him they should plow it up and put in some clay, he told me that Ralph Liguori had said it long before me. :-)

7/14/10, 3:22 PM   #17
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Henry and I went to the presentation. It was so packed, we couldn't get into the room, but we stood at the back of the upstairs gallery, and could hear everything.

I was very impressed with the PR effort and organization that went into the presentation but, at the end of the day, I really could not possibly care less. They are still going to be silly looking karts, driven by guys I never heard of. I'm not going to watch any of the races where the drivers gain their reputations, especially since most of them are in Brazil. I'm not going to read the Wall Street Journal pages that describe where the money comes from to buy the rides. When they come to New Hampshire next year, I might go but, like most of the audience, I'll be there to watch the Modified race.

I used to watch the Indy Cars at Trenton, Langhorne (dirt), and Syracuse. The year Jimmy Clark ran off with the show at Trenton was the last paved track Indy Car race I ever attended. Twice, while helping Louis Seymour, I flew home on the day of the 500. Finally, Louis convinced me to go, and got me some really great seats. He asked me what I thought, I told him they should plow it up and put in some clay, he told me that Ralph Liguori had said it long before me. :-)
If you couldn't care less, then why even make the effort to go to the press conference? Free food and drinks?

1 member likes this post: KRJoyce1
7/14/10, 3:48 PM   #18
Vukie

Quote:
Henry and I went to the presentation. It was so packed, we couldn't get into the room, but we stood at the back of the upstairs gallery, and could hear everything
Dick, I can tell that you and Henry learned from Blair.

7/14/10, 3:50 PM   #19
BuckeyeBullet

Quote:

Reminds me of a movie I watched as a young kid...Grumpy Old Men.

I would say it's sad to hear this, but on IOW it is all too common. P;$$ and moan all you want, dream of yesteryear, but the fact of the matter remains: we are forever in a state of change.

I feel badly for all of you out there who refuse to see past the ******** and simply enjoy the racing, for one thing has not changed, it is still a test of man and machine.

3 members like this post: KRJoyce1, mtek56, Seadog
7/14/10, 6:32 PM   #20
mtek56

I don't know why there is so much negativity about Indy cars. Granted, what once was is no longer, but I applaud the George family for making a decision to bring in someone to try and bring back the 500 and indy car racing. Where this leads as for as today's announcement is anyone's guess. He definitely has shaken the pot up and seems to be unafraid to make changes. This can only benefit open wheel racing. Besides, he seems to be a friend to sprint racing dirt or asphalt. How do we find the time to put down the very thing we want which is indy and sprint racing to be successful for investors to spend money on. The talent pool of young sprint racers is pretty deep. The trick for Indy car will be to find a way to get these talented young guys to Indy car. I'm sure Randy Bernard realized the passion and the love for sprint racing when he went to Bloomington and Kokomo. And now will try to make it feasible for all these young guys to get there chance at the 500. Give it a chance and support these decisions, otherwise we may not even have the 500 in the future. Taxicabs at Indy is sacriligious to me. Mike Tekulve

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dallara? Really IndyCar?