IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group Qualifying comments
7/10/10, 4:08 PM   #11
Re: Group Qualifying comments
Jrp4554

Group Qualifying sucks

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, JCC, Motormasher, skids59
7/10/10, 4:23 PM   #12
richie

I would like to see single car qualifying, especially for the Sprintweek races. With qualifying being so important to the success of the night for the teams/drivers in USAC racing, it's incredibly intense. I'm not sure what the point of group qualifying is. It seems like it actually takes more time to do that to push the cars out, line them up, and then run four laps in several groups.

7/10/10, 6:12 PM   #13
spruett

Group qualifying works best on larger paved tracks and actually does save time there . I think it has lots of issues on small tracks dirt and prbably ends up taking more time.. Seperation is everything

1 member likes this post: skids59
7/11/10, 1:19 AM   #14
Motormasher

Why does everyone try to change "racing"?

Qualifying is the 1st part of racing. Driver & car vs. the track.

Before long I wonder if we will even have heat races.

7/12/10, 9:19 AM   #15
little500

Why do series and tracks mess with quilifying, because those same people messed up the line-ups for all the races. If a guy qualifys dead last, then he should start his heat dead last. BUT when he passes 7 cars to finish 4th (1 spot out of the feature) THEN HE SHOULD NOT START DEAD LAST IN THE CONSI. OR when the fast qualifier makes the feature out of the consi, there is no way in hell he should start on the front row or anywhere in the top 10. THEY SHOULD START ON THE TAIL. Make these guys race, you wouldn't believe how much better the overall shows will be.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, skids59, sprinter25
7/12/10, 9:56 AM   #16
Hubie

I did not care for it, but then again I score time trials on a notepad and it made it very hard. It did speed up the show.....

I will hold off tossing it at this time, it's just different and therefore bad?

7/12/10, 10:06 AM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I was at LBurg and GC and IMHO it didn't speed up the show one bit.
I also thought it tore up the track for the next group compared to just moving the groove up a bit one by one.

It didn't seem to hurt time to much at Kokomo.

One driver I talked to says it allows them to follow a Well known fast guy and find a good line.

I can understand changing some things, Question is,

IS IT ACTUALLY A IMPROVEMENT ON ANYTHING?

Like other said. Just the sound and sight of one car on the track doing his/her damdest to beat themselves is INTENSE! You follow that one car instead of trying to see several and when that one car bikes, flips or even last out and sets fast time. YOU SEEN THE WHOLE THING!

Also without a scoreboard or a good pa system, You have no idea who the hell qualified where and without a good pa, YOU NEVER GET IT EITHER.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, skids59
7/12/10, 10:10 AM   #18

That was my first time seeing it in person-did seem to go faster (still not a fan of it just in principle). My question was why did we have group qualifying to save time (I'm assuming), and then waste time working on the track for an hour? Granted, the beer belly contest was very exciting in the down time, but what was accomplished? The entire track was bladed, while pickups and the water truck repacked it endlessly with the sun beating down on it. There was never any mist put on the track at all, nor was it rough after qualifying. All it did was make it very dirty to sit and watch later in evening, even though the track was still very racy. Just seemed to be a very unnecessary waste of time. Still got out of there pretty early, so it didn't cause a big delay. I'm usually a fan of what Dave & crew do with the track, but it just seemed like they were actually trying to make it hard and dusty-I just didn't understand the reasoning. Was still a great show!

Smith19, sorry I didn't get to catch up with you-maybe next time.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
7/12/10, 5:51 PM   #19
jawbone

Leave it up to USAC to screw up something that has been good in the past. I dont like the group qual. it takes away the thrilling one car qual. where you can see one car and dont have to try to watch 7 cars at once.
If it is suppose to save time it didnt save anymore time then single car qual. Wake up USAC.

7/12/10, 7:47 PM   #20
nonwing79

I believe that if we had single car qualifying last night at Kokomo we wouldn't have seen the feature ready to push off a little after 9PM, you would have seen a couple of tumbles during qualifying and that would have delayed the night. I think if the group qualifying is done correctly you do save time. We saw 3 different drivers under the old track record last night using the group format. Just my thoughts!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group Qualifying comments