IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > F! US Grand Prix to Austin TX 2012
5/25/10, 2:33 PM   #1
F! US Grand Prix to Austin TX 2012
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/node.php?id=3900

5/25/10, 2:47 PM   #2
Re: F! US Grand Prix to Austin TX 2012
mikew

Looks like Austin decided to write a ginormous check to Bernie. They can try to make Austin sound like the quintessential US city, but in the end, Austin is slightly smaller than Indy and does not have the name recognition of IMS. They mentioned in the F1.com article about how Austin will be able to draw from Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston, but couldn't Indy draw from Chicago, Cincinatti, St. Louis.....

Maybe the one thing that will help Austin is that they don't currently have any professional sports franchises, which might help the city embrace this event.... All told, F1 in the US is a tough sell. Good luck Austin, you will have your work cut out for you.

5/25/10, 3:06 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I wouldn't say Indy didn't embrace em. More like F-1 Crapped all over them with their Tire boycott and bribes for more $$

5/25/10, 5:21 PM   #4
Vukie

Wondering if taxpayer money will be used?
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...rix-in-austin/

5/25/10, 6:43 PM   #5
badgerfan

I wonder what kind of money it takes to build a brand new "purpose built" F-1 track?

5/25/10, 6:48 PM   #6
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan View Post
I wonder what kind of money it takes to build a brand new "purpose built" F-1 track?
Probably more then anyone on this website can fathom. I'll say upwards of close too $100,000,000 - $250,000,000. At least F1 is coming back to the states. I wonder what the track design / track layout will look like.
Last edited by nathans1012; 5/25/10 at 6:50 PM.

5/25/10, 6:55 PM   #7
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Probably more then anyone on this website can fathom. I'll say upwards of close too $100,000,000 - $250,000,000. At least F1 is coming back to the states. I wonder what the track design / track layout will look like.
I just don't see it happening in Austin. As far as Texas towns go, it is our fair state's version of Berkely. It seems to be a very, very odd choice to me. Even San Antonio would have made a better choice; but still unusual. When I first read it, that is what I thought it said, but when I saw Austin. There have been a lot of "paper tracks" in Texas and even more cons and swindles invovling large swaths of land. This one could be interesting. I say that it is as likely as happening as the next Houston Texaco Grand Prix.

5/25/10, 8:34 PM   #8
Beer Goggles

The Eco-Nazi's will shut this down Pronto.

5/26/10, 12:35 AM   #9
410racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I wouldn't say Indy didn't embrace em. More like F-1 Crapped all over them with their Tire boycott and bribes for more $$
I went to all the F-1 races at Indy until the tire fiasco. I even sent a letter to IMS about it and they sent a response of " Its not our fault, it's F-1." The fans embraced it but the F-1 higher ups didnt seem to care. Let them go to Austin or any other city on try to hold them hostage with $$$$$$$$. It wont work in the USA until changes are made in the leaders of F-1. But will that happen? I doubt. To heck with F-1, go to your local track and support them. No matter if it's dirt or pavement. Racing is 100% better.

2 members like this post: nathans1012
5/26/10, 8:46 AM   #10
mikew

One of the higher ups at McLaren already came out and said that they don't have an detailed knowledge of the plan, but because F1 has tried and failed so many times in the US, that F1 should look closely at the US market and try catering their product for the American consumer instead of just holding another carbon copy clone grand prix like they do everywhere else.

Eddie Gossage piped in and said that TMS cost $250 million back when they built it in the 90's. I can't imagine that a brand new F1 track could be had for less. Throw in the cost of buying 600+ acres of land close to the city.

Good luck getting the track land purchased, designed, permitted and built in 2 years. Sounds like another Donnington to me. Maybe the endgame is IMS getting the USGP again after Austin fails. Not that I want Austin to fail, but USF1 started with the same kind of press conference and Donnington started with a 10 year deal....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > F! US Grand Prix to Austin TX 2012