IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
JBX2
  #1 5/20/10 12:24 PM
The dead horse lives!! This topic IMO got way off course from the basic, original point of "how to market midget racing".

Races don't magically happen, folks, and while equipment, format, payout, etc. changes are great and many times very warranted -- NONE of that defines the "midget racing product" for the fans.

Herein lies the problem, maybe...Let's face it, racing is entertainment but it is also clearly a business on every level. One popular business viewpoint is that of "lean" principles in all aspects of that business. In its purest form, "lean" means anything that doesn't directly benefit the customer is WASTE.

So, let's try another pragmatic angle --
"If you were in charge, how would YOU market a midget series to the general public?" And, could you do it in 5-sentences or less?

I'll start --
1) Twice a month at one track, possibly two, if the other track was within 50-miles away.
2) Track would be 3/8 or less - on dirt.
3) Switch it up to qualify one week; draw another week; fan draw another week.
4) Create multiple fan & sponsor interaction like "speed challenges" w/prizes; sponsor flagman; fan pace car rides; t-shirt tosses, etc.
5) Develop a streaming broadcast or video medium for fans & sponsors to follow when they can't be there or watch races again.
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #2 5/20/10 1:03 PM
I think first, you need to have an overall definition and model of the product before you deal with the five questions. If it's the present model, you probably won't have enough cars show up and the number one concern on this web site seems to be car counts.
JBX2
  #3 5/20/10 2:01 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
I think first, you need to have an overall definition and model of the product before you deal with the five questions. If it's the present model, you probably won't have enough cars show up and the number one concern on this web site seems to be car counts.
Good point, Don.

IMO the present model(s) isn't/aren't sustainable. Because of this, I truly believe that midget racing is at a point to seriously consider the RUN WHAT YA BRING philosophy. (Didn't or doesn't Lincoln Park do this?) As mentioned, it's pretty hard to determine any differences any more from an open wheel fan perspective let alone someone as an off the street fan.

More importantly -- everyone gets to race a feature. If more than 20 cars show up; you run a double-feature.
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #4 5/20/10 3:15 PM
That makes way toooooooooooooooooo much sense for anybody close to midget racing. Common sense went out a long time ago when the Nascar haulers came in.
JBX2
  #5 5/20/10 5:12 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
That makes way toooooooooooooooooo much sense for anybody close to midget racing. Common sense went out a long time ago when the Nascar haulers came in.
Not trying to be argumentative, Don. But, I truly don't understand your response. I really don't. What specifically are you trying to say?

Just a thought -- Why is there still a thriving sprint car scene at multiple tracks (particularly in PA & IN) despite "Nascar haulers" coming in? Have you seen some of the super modified rigs? Pick out tracks all over the US -- dozens & dozens of them regardless of class or type of car has similar type "Nascar haulers" at the track.

But, the truth is that the promotion outside the track & the product on the track sells it TO THE FANS WHO SUPPORT IT. -- not the "Nascar haulers" IMO. Yea, the fans think they're cool - but, they really don't care all that much, and, in the "lean process" thinking -- it doesn't really benefit the customer (fans).

SO, what is IT that these tracks & series' have? I have some thoughts on why. What do YOU (everyone) think?

Jimmy B. (if you hadn't figured it out, yet, Don. :2
Hubie (Offline)
  #6 5/20/10 5:43 PM
I think cost when up when the water pumpers arrived.....

how about engines that are production based?????
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #7 5/20/10 5:53 PM
JB... I'm trying to say that the midget community so close (involved with) to the subject that they can't see the forest for the trees.

Let me give you an example outside of the racing industry. The local bank that I deal with has a web site that I can log on to and check my accounts. It's quite obvious to me that the webmaster got to together with the banking people and put together a web site that was understood by the banking people but was out in left field for the average customer to understand. And try reading some of the manuals you get with some of the gadgets that we buy. Yeah, the people who designed them understand the in's and out's of the gadget but have no idea how to write a manual so the average Joe can understand it.

Does the midget community really understand what the fans want to experience at the race track? Do they want to experience Hoosier tires, Esslinger engines etc? Does it really matter to them regarding the parts on accessories on the car? Before I got into owning race cars, those things never crossed my mind when I went to the track. I wanted to see a great racing experience. Who really cares what's under the hood or what tires are on the car.
short track scott (Offline)
  #8 5/20/10 7:15 PM
I think we fans (because I am one) want to see close, competitive racing by a field of racecars. We expect a car or three to be slower, because this is a mechanical sport and things happen. We like to see a full field of cars to match the size of the race track.

We don't mind the cars being a little slower than "the old track record" if the racing is good. We don't say to each other, "look how expensive that motor is in turn two" or "I loved the $4000 body panels on that car". We want to cheer good racing. Good is sometimes a runaway, sometimes a bumper and sometimes a nerf bar, or two!

We want a program run without delay, and if there is a delay we don't want to notice. Plan ahead for it and keep us entertained with something. Fans throwing frisbees at a cone for $50 will do.

We want to support a sport that wants us. Give us the chance to like or not like a guy again. God, Goodyear and Gatorade are all doing well, guys, and they don't mind the exposure. But when you get an interview, don't cop the NASCAR driver act. Give us something to identify with, stand out from the pack. I understand not being comfortable doing an interview, but those who are stand out! We have entertainment options. We choose racing. We choose the kids' soccer. We choose vacation. Racing used to sell on the idea that if you weren't there you'd miss something. Now we just buy the dvd, or look it up on the internet machine. It is much harder to consistently draw a good front gate.

Before everyone sets fire to me and this post, I'll share what I think about the fix.

Build the purse before the racecars. Decide how much for each position. Hint: The monster trucks get a flat fee per truck for an appearance, then a set of bonuses and contingencies kick in. I'm not saying $X per car is the way to go, but how about getting to a purse where the winner gets three times what start money is? So the winner still spends too much (because he can), the 15th place guy gets a little more to replenish the too much he spent. Every race has a winner; not every race has a 15th place anymore.

Everybody has more invested than they care to admit. The high budget guys have more to spend, and can position themselves better to win. Age old problem. This is why the $10,000 to win, $175 to start, $45 pit, $35 front gate show is doomed. There are 6 teams, maybe, in the world to contend for the win. And they will each spend $2500 at the track to win it because they CAN. Meanwhile the guys who have to race on what they make, or close to it JUST STAY HOME.

What about cars? You are the racers! I think limiting tires per night is a good idea. I don't know the number, or that it is the same everywhere. Engines. If a guy can afford to run the big $ for a little less at the payout window, so be it. I'd bet there are 40 guys on the other end of the field who can run less engine for a bit more $ at the payout window. Run a dash for the top 6 cars to let them all stretch their high $ legs. I understand the thrill and glory of winning. If it is being bought, which the big races have been for years now, is that all there is? I see the low budget guys that finish ahead of where they "should". I really think the 1000cc uprights need a serious look in midget racing. They are "traditional" but they show up, and cost less to operate.

Ok. Fire away. This is a discussion board/forum. Let's hear it.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 Likes: jim goerge, oldfan49, team3521
Rob Reimer (Offline)
  #9 5/20/10 8:32 PM
I think part of the promotion problem is the average person has never heard of any racers at their local track. If tracks could get the local papers to print results (getting names out there) and maybe a photo every now and again people might become curious of what is happening down the street at the track. If a track could get the news stations to devote 10 seconds to announce the winner of the feature from the "Premier" class it would help 100%. I know every division that races is important, but you have to start somewhere. I know radio sports are not free, but why not give away a pair of tickets weekly on the "morning or afternoon" radio program. You have to get the word out! I won't address the price of racing because I don't think anything can be done right now that is heathy for the sport. Just my 2 cents.
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #10 5/20/10 8:43 PM
Well... Well!! Short Track Scott is the winner so far. That was an outstanding post. You go to the front of the class immediately.

Congratulations. Every race team and promoter short make a copy of that post and read it several times.