IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sammy Swindell
11/6/07, 9:54 AM   #91
Re: Sammy Swindell
RandyF46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Second best? Id put a host of drivers ahead of him, Gaines, Hurtabies, Foyt, Pancho, Wolfgang ect.

As far as knowledge of the car as far as a driver, Id put sammy as probably the best behind Karl Kinser.

Chuc
I guess Wolfgang was wrong. He is the one that said Steve and Sammy were the best.

11/6/07, 9:54 AM   #92
ossuks

Comparing wing vs non-wing drivers is an argument that will go on forever. Once in a while a driver will cross over and have limited success.

What I have used as a comparision is those that have moved up to other forms of racing and have been successful.

11/6/07, 10:04 AM   #93
RandyF46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.P. View Post
Randy -

Just because the Outlaws have more money or run faster don't make them the "best of the best." The only thing that proves is that their cars go faster and they have more money.

How many of those Outlaws got their :censor: waxed when they tried the Silver Crown Series? I know Blaney held his own a couple of times, Sammy couldn't hit his tail with his hands tied behind his back in Potters car and Schatz from my memory never blazed a trail. I know the SC series isn't the sprints but it is non winged which is the premise behind your assumption that winged drivers are the best of the best because they have more money and they are faster.

How many freight train features have you paid to watch at an Outlaw show? Yes they go faster and yes they may have more sponsor dollars but the fact remains it's still a freight train single file main event. (hold Charlotte last weekend which was a great race)

The point in this thread as I read it is to highlight the fact that Sammy Swindell is not in control of his emotions. In my mind he is tarnishing his legendary status as the "second best sprint car driver". This is a fact that isn't disputable...he is out of control and that is a shame.
Sammy got a temper? Oh yes. Smoke? AJ? Hewitt? Out of control? I doubt it. I wasn't there.

None of the Outlaws ran SC long enough to be a good judge. Pretty weak aurgument. Try again.

Frieght trains? Guess you don't watch many Outlaw races do you?

There are very few USAC guys that could make an Outlaw show. IMHO.:moon:

11/6/07, 10:07 AM   #94
RandyF46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Comparing wing vs non-wing drivers is an argument that will go on forever. Once in a while a driver will cross over and have limited success.

What I have used as a comparision is those that have moved up to other forms of racing and have been successful.
Kinser, Swindell, Wolfgang, Hewitt....Plenty of "limited" cross overs I guess......Oh yeah.....The biggest wingless race ever....Who won that? That's right..............:headbang:

11/6/07, 10:13 AM   #95
RandyF46

Quote:

Lets compare apples to apples. NASCAR is looking for young, real young kids to market. Kids don't have real success in the Outlaws. It takes a lot of seat time to get Outlaw fast. By the way, Gordon was in the Woo and didn't have great success.

Do kids have success in USAC? You answer that.

Do I think Darland or Kruseman can drive anything fast? Absolutely, wing or no wing, fenders what ever.

but please, compare apples to apples.

11/6/07, 10:16 AM   #96
Glad Brad

[QUOTE=smithpk85;16685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailtank View Post
I've sat here and read what all has been written and a couple of questions have come to mind.

1. Do most of you not like Kevin because of who is dad is?

2. Do most of you dislike Kevin because he came from the wing ranks to get his high-profile Mopar ride? I'm sure many of you have had another canidate in mind for the seat long before Kevin got the ride.

I think what it boils down to is Kevin's lack of respect for his fellow drivers on the track. If he has to run over someone or take someone out to win, he will do it. There are plenty of drivers that run side by side with one another in close races and never touch each other. It can be done. Swindell deliberately took Daron out of that race Saturday night - plain and simple!
So, Daron Clayton's driving history is clean as the driven snow? Probably not - right?

11/6/07, 10:20 AM   #97
Barney

I think the most of Claytons wrecks are self induced 1 car events.:action-smiley-049::doh::headbang:

11/6/07, 10:24 AM   #98
Rex W.

Quote:

I Guess lookin at it like that then JJ really isn't that good then cause he hasn't done much in the 18 car.

11/6/07, 10:26 AM   #99
riskybrisky5

Why can't people quit arguing about who is better drivers wing or non wing. They both produce great drivers. The difference is that in wing racing it takes the best equipment to win. Not saying that driving is not a part of it because it is. But all the top guys have the equipment. That is why a Darland or Coons or whoever cannot go to an Outlaw show and compete. It takes equipment. Put those guys in a top notch car and within a few races they will compete. Winners are winners you can put them in either car and they will win. Give me an unlimited budget and I can get Darland an outlaw win. Bring Steve Kinser to USAC and he will win. Why because they are both great race car drivers.

P.S. I will take Wolfgang over Swindell If I had a Woo car jmho

11/6/07, 10:41 AM   #100
Mike Hunt

WOW! Lets see if this was one of the famed Indiana sprint car drivers this post would of been yanked!

Kevin has more talent than 99.9% of the drivers in the pits! I'm pretty sure you will not have to worry about him anymore as he is going to stock cars next year and Brad Sweet is driving that car. Oh wait you all will mutha fock him cause he isn't from Indiana!

Alrighty then start your botching! Lord knows Chuck and Dan will be the 1st!

No talk of how super hero Jon Stambrough ran all weekend???

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sammy Swindell