IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best sprint race you've ever seen?
3/15/10, 3:44 PM   #51
Re: Best sprint race you've ever seen?
Seadog

I can't say for sure it was the best, as after seeing hundreds of them since 1955. They all run sort of together. But one I can recall recently is: Toledo 2004(?), Bobby East starts near the front in the feature. He has a tangle with a few others right at the start. Pushed off again and re-starts 19th I think. Wins the race in spectacular fashion. In my mind, the main thing he did that was questionable was root Eric Gordon up out of the groove when he passed for the lead down the backstretch. Other than that it was a spectacular performance.

3/15/10, 4:37 PM   #52
Sausage

Mine would be Bent Kaeding and Ronnie Day at Calistoga 7/1/94 for winged sprints. It was race 6 of a speedweeks show (probably called King of California) at the time. There was a $100k bonus if anyone could win all 6 nights I think (or 5 of 6, my memory fades). Kaeding had only to win that Saturday night to get the bonus. Day banged wheels with him, and they both overcooked it into 3 and had a drag race down the front straight to the checkers with Day just edging him. Day said in the post race interview that there was no way he was going to let anyone get that $100k even if he had to take him out! That was only the second best race of the night. Tony Stewart came out from Indiana that night. Had to race the B main in midgets since he missed the first night. He set a lap record in qualifying by almost 9/10 of a second, and came from the B to the back of the main. Made a last lap, last corner inside pass with a drag down the main to edge Cofer I think. He was absolutely possessed that night and made me a fan from that night on!

For non wing it might be the Oval Nationals this last November, on the second night. Wild main event eventually won by Levi Jones after a wild battle with Jon Stanbrough and Mike Spencer. Great race all the way through including the finish. I have seen a ton of great finishes so just appreciate the talent and daring of these guys.

3/15/10, 6:45 PM   #53
midmad68

Not sure of the date, but i know it was in 2003. josh wise won what was i believe his first sprint car race at perris. that was the night that damion wrecked coming off of four to complete the first lap and took out a good portion of the field. none the less, the racing was incredible that night.

here's the video of that wreck...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrDv5M0J5Xo

3/15/10, 7:20 PM   #54
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I've seen a hundred sprint car races that I thought was the best race I've ever seen. That's what I love about this sport. And it'll always be that way. There are just so many ways that a race can take twists and turns, that make it a memorable experience. Sometimes an epic one. And every one unique.

As a kid, so many of the great ones I saw were at Paragon (Like Keith said about the 100 lappers), Terre Haute and Haubstadt. In recent years Haubstadt, Kokomo and Terre Haute have provided the lion's share of the Instant Classics, for me. Two fo the modern day classics that come to mind are two throwdowns that took place between Daron Clayton and Jon Stanbrough a few years ago. One at Terre Haute and one at Tri-State Speedway. The last 10 laps of the Don Smith Classic, a couple of years ago, saw Robert Ballou and Jesse Hockett wage a war that I'll not soon forget, as well.

Jerry
Jerry I agree with you on both of those races both of them were win it are wear it races they still bring a smile to my face when think about them

3/15/10, 7:52 PM   #55
mortboyz

I guess I've got 2 that continue to stick in my mind.

An Open Comp $2500 to win race in the Fall of 1975 at Granite City. The pits were loaded with Panco, Amati, Ferkel, Saldana, Bubby and I believe Opperman, among many others. The first time I had the pleasure of watching him in a Sprint Car, our neighbor Larry "Captain Crunch" Kirkpatrick spanked the field in the Bobby Sparks 63. (Appropriate due to Larry's RR sending sparks flying off the turn 4 Armco lap after lap)

My second biggie would have to be the '98 Indiana Sprintweek finale at Putucky. Sitting on the front row of the backstretch grandstand with my 9year old son Drew, we witnessed Tony Elliott (Walker 39) and Dave Darland (Hoffman 69) battle back and forth the whole 30 laps for the win and the Sprintweek title. Dave the Rave won the race and the title by only a handfull over TE.

I'm sure I've see other "great" races, but I've also had a few cold ones while watching as well.....:2:
Last edited by mortboyz; 3/15/10 at 7:54 PM.

1 member likes this post: billwill7
3/15/10, 9:33 PM   #56
Bad Dad 54

It was a race at Kokomo, Hunter Schurenburg was in the Jam It In car and crashed at the start. There were a lot of cars involved and Hunter went to the pits so when he came out had to go to the rear. Well he was flat flying when the green dropped. I bekieve he lapped every body up to 7th place. He went between a car and the wall and I didn't believe there was enough room, but he made it.

3/15/10, 10:52 PM   #57
turn4rob

Alan Ballard and the Demon going at it for about 10 laps a few years ago at Ventura (the commotion on the ocean) for Ballards 1st and only CRA win

ROB

3/16/10, 10:41 AM   #58
hogan6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
1978 usac sprints at orrville ohio 1978 hulman classic terre haute!
Right Dud. Orville. The nite you tried to kill Bigelow. Most vicious slide job ever. And thank God Toby didn't break a lap before.

3/16/10, 12:09 PM   #59
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwingless View Post
I've mentioned this one before. Don't remember the year but Kinser came into Eldora took off the wing against USAC and CRA and blew 'em away. He was completely sideways halfway down the back stretch as he was diving into 3. I can still see it in my mind.
STEVE KINSER at the Big E CRA race, I think the Johnny Vance car, not sure. Sat with him the next nite at P-ville CRA race. Of all things Dana was mad because he was smoking cigs

3/16/10, 1:49 PM   #60
smith19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogan6 View Post
Right Dud. Orville. The nite you tried to kill Bigelow. Most vicious slide job ever. And thank God Toby didn't break a lap before.
i was at that race also. the track was hard on cars that night. a lot dropped out.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best sprint race you've ever seen?