IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?
2/24/10, 9:39 AM   #21
Re: Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?
dshort36

let me see........ you run a 30 lap race and lets take the cars that finish first, second and third, with wide tires,,so you narrow each of the cars tires by 50 percent.. that now makes the third place car faster than the first place car? explain .......all i can see is this slows down the speed of the cars.......now the cockpit adjustments do help the driver that missed the setup or stay with the track conditions as they change.....assuming the driver knows what changes to make....its all homework,setup and track conditions.......just my 2 cents worth ..

2/24/10, 9:43 AM   #22
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Invert the fastest 12 cars and give passing bonus money!

2/24/10, 10:07 AM   #23
Todd Kimmel

I have stayed out of this, but I am bored at work so what the hell. I am pretty sure that when USAC/ Hoosier came out with the DT3 it was suppose to be some what like making the tires smaller in the way that it was suppose to make the car harder to get the HP to the ground, last longer, help tracks, etc.... They got harder with a stiffer side wall. What happened? We tightened the cars up somewhere else...like 2-4 pounds of air in the right rear, softer bars than most would ever think of running, stuff like that. So say they do shrink the tires, whats going to happen? We will find another way to tighten the cars up and make them go.

Just my 2 cents.

Todd Kimmel

2 members like this post: Jack Dupp, mowerman
2/24/10, 12:49 PM   #24
Racer12

You may not run very many cockpit adjustments but many cars have 4-6 knobs in the cockpit. And this is not about the cost it is about making better racing.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueball View Post
I'd have to agree with Mr. Short on this. Also I dont believe a team would see any substantial savings from outlawing cockpit adjustments. What savings would one see? 4 shock cables and a weight jacker(i dont even run one). When we are dealing with 15-30 thousand dollar engines and $200 tires, I dont think getting rid of $150 worth of shock cables (which lasted me 2 seasons) is going to change anyones fortunes. I spend far more money on tear-offs than cockpit adjustment devices.

Just my 2 Cents

2/24/10, 9:14 PM   #25
dustbowl

Eliminating cockpit adjustments is not going to make the races any better. Shock adjusters are not a magic fix all. You cannot just ignore setup and just hook your car up when you get on the track. If your car is not any good you are not going to magically make it fast. Cockpit adjustments are pretty fine adjustments. If anything they will make a race better. A guy in the back has a good car, tunes his shocks and makes it better, finds a line, and charges to the front. Chances are guys that are running up front and are fast are not going to be turning many knobs anyway.

2 members like this post: HurstBros0, JEFFSTOY
2/25/10, 12:07 AM   #26
baconracing99

Narrowing up tires is not going to help in my opinion. Midgets have very narrow tires and you usually blister them before you wear them out. This also happens alot with SUPER hard DT3 tires, thus causing you to buy more tires. When I run with ASCS or Sprint Bandits we run a tire that is softer, slightly bigger around, and the same width as DT3. I run many more races on one of the ASCS tires than I ever could with a DT3. In 2008 I ran the same right rear 4 nights in a row and won 3 of them and fell out running 2nd in the first race. As for passing I won at 1-80 from 14th in 30 laps. I also agree with getting rid of cockpit adjustments. I usually dont run them anyway. Most bad races are due to bad track conditions, and every race isnt going to be a barn burner. And next time you think a non wing race is boring go watch a winged race.

2/25/10, 12:24 AM   #27
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Coondog at Manzy, Damion at Lburg started like 14th and won. Theres more
Clayton did it a few of years ago during Sprint Week @ Haubstadt. It was the same race that Levi flipped and wedged it between the wall and the fence.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: JEFFSTOY
2/25/10, 10:11 AM   #28
Brolzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconracing99 View Post
And next time you think a non wing race is boring go watch a winged race.
Couldn't agree more.

1 member likes this post: JEFFSTOY
2/25/10, 2:27 PM   #29
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My problem with inboard adjustments is it changes the race if there is a caution or red. I've seen many times Joe Local go out and run well and hold their own, Here comes a yellow and then They're lucky if they finish on the same lap.

Yeah, i know, Get with the program, There available to everyone but my idea of dirt sprint car racing isn't a on board pit crew. Your crew could adjust under a red same as a mechanic could change a bar or torsion stop setting.

Certainly I can agree to the adjustable shocks replacing several different ones but, Why do people like Schatz win without them? Because they setup for the middle to end of the race. In the first place.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/25/10 at 2:29 PM.

2/25/10, 6:59 PM   #30
v8j

i think Drinan and Newman both did it at winchester in midgets.starting last finishing first

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it time to shrink the sprint tires a bit?