IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where and when was your very first race?
10/26/09, 5:29 PM   #91
Re: Where and when was your very first race?
dadams17

Pulled this from Kevin Eckert's site...
I would've been 1 month and 17 days old. Helped dad get his frist win in a midget!

Open Wheel Times Race Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indianapolis Speedrome - qualifying on 6/12/1987, Indianapolis,IN
Date of Race: 6/18/1987

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Feature
1: Adams, Donnie (4a) 2: Dossey, Jack (52 - Nuber) 3: Hines, Ted (12) 4: Huntington, Paul (33 - Nolen) 5: Hurst, Dennis (91) 10: Boorse, Dan (56 - Rencurrel) 13: Hewitt, Jack (2 - Piascik) 17: Vogler, Rich (1 - Byrd)

Donnie Adams Jr.

10/26/09, 5:48 PM   #92
bgerster

Donnie,

I was there that night watching. Your dad had been close to winning several races before that night but I guess he must have been waiting for you. I had gotten to know your grandpa & father pretty well in the years before and I was very happy for them. They were a class act and I know you are proud of them and that they are proud of you.

Brian

10/26/09, 6:30 PM   #93
VaDirt

Vallejo Speedway, Vallejo CA, 1975. I was 11 or 12 at the time, so I can't remember who won, but it probably went something like this:

Supermodifieds: Darrell Dudley
Super stock: Larry Damitz
Hardtops: Lanny Westbrook
Street Stocks: Les Hand
Powder Puff: Donna Smith

10/28/09, 5:55 PM   #94
EBookerFan

Per Superdukes post on the Winchester 1945 Labor Day Race, I was there with my grandfather who was a friend of Mr. Funk. At the age of 14 this was the most exciting day of my life. My recollection of this day was that Bus Wilbert, still in the Navy, won the race. Remember that this was64 years ago. My sprint car driving hero from that day was Elbert 'grandpappy' Booker. In fact my racing heros have been sprint car drivers including Duke Cook. Unfortunately I no longer have the program from that race.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
10/28/09, 11:27 PM   #95
SoIllSprinter

1965 at the mile in Du Quoin. 44 years old and have been to 43 silver crowns at Du Quoin. Went so much when I was a little fella couldn't tell you firsts. I remember going to Turnpike Speedway (Williamson County Speedway) in Marion, Illinois. Weekly coupe track that ran sprint specials. Vividly remember Bubby Jones coming to the track and all the boys from down south. It was a Friday track and the promoter would pause the proceedings to let sprint travelers time as they came to the track. I remember Hooker Hood, a young Ricky Hood, and the Swindell brothers specifically. Other tracks in the area included Frankliln County Fairgrounds Speedway, a track in Murphysboro, Il, and one in Centralia. Also used to go to Belle-Claire every once in a while. To butcher a movie phrase "Nothing is as meaningful or as exiciting as when you were ten years old".

10/29/09, 7:51 PM   #96
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookerfan View Post
per superdukes post on the winchester 1945 labor day race, i was there with my grandfather who was a friend of mr. Funk. At the age of 14 this was the most exciting day of my life. My recollection of this day was that bus wilbert, still in the navy, won the race. Remember that this was64 years ago. My sprint car driving hero from that day was elbert 'grandpappy' booker. In fact my racing heros have been sprint car drivers including duke cook. Unfortunately i no longer have the program from that race.
i do have the program from that race and i let buzz rose use it for his king of the hills book! Witch i have for sell! Great book! With a great photo with my dad and elbert booker and myself at winchester!
Last edited by SUPERDUKE; 10/30/09 at 5:24 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where and when was your very first race?