IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Whats it cost....
9/29/09, 6:37 PM   #11
Re: Whats it cost....
sc96

Spend your money on a psychiatrist Then once they have deemed you NUTS jump in with both feet. That way you will fit in with the rest of us car owners. And when we are all committed to the nut ward by our families we can bench race for days.

9/29/09, 7:12 PM   #12
Lucky161

Another alternative is to see if anyone runs 305 sprints in your area. I like mini sprints ok, but for my money a sprint car with a aluminum head injected V8 trumps anything with a motorcycle engine. And they cost about the same as mini sprints, perhaps even less.

9/29/09, 9:52 PM   #13
600minisprint
Inactive Member

Hello RandyB, Here is a site for any sprint car need you have for getting started in what ever kind of sprint you choose. He offers great pricing on everything, gamesterracingproducts.com he builds big and little sprints how ever you like them. He also helps with car setups on his own cars to get you in the ball park on where your racing style.

9/29/09, 10:31 PM   #14
Sprint7Car

Randy,

Most of these people on this board never have been in a Sprint Car, nor will they ever be in one. Nothing against any of these people, but let me tell you 1st hand what it cost and.....

(I turn 44 this year, so keep that in mind!)

2006 : I purchased ($5,000 w/Open Trailer) a 600 Mini Sprint operation from a fella who claimed it was all top notch stuff, well it was not even close. Ran the 2005 season with this Stewart Upright Mini Sprint and spent more time in the air than i did on the track. Pieces would break from being old and wore out to not knowing how to set the car up..Don't go this route!

2007: I purchased ($10,000) a Top Notch Car from a Local guy who i had befriended over the previous year. I purchased the Car at the race track as he pulled into his pit area after winning the Main event. 2007 PMP Chassis with a Gordon Seros 600 (R6)Engine. Loaded it up in my trailer and took it home. Called PMP that Monday and spoke with Stan (Owner of PMP) who sent me setup sheets and advice. Practiced that following Wed night and had the Previous owner at practice with me helping me understand the setups. Raced that Saturday @ Manzanita Speedway..1st outing in the car was the Trophy Dash and i won it, and finished in the top 10 in the Main event that night..The rest of the season was all about having fun and learning the Chassis and Race tracks.

2007: In October of 2007 i decided i wanted to Buy a Sprint Car..I decided to Purchase ($9,000 for Roller) Jesse Hocketts DRC 5 Bar Roller. After taking delivery of the Roller my friends and i tore it down to bare frame and re-bolted the car , and had the Steering gone thru. Had a ASCS 360 engine Built from Block up by Advanced Engines here in Phoenix! (Engine: $15,000)

2008: Jan of 2008 the Car was ready for the track. Rented Manzanita for the evening, and hired Jeremy Sherman (ASCS Canyon Region Non-Wing Champion) to coach me. The night went well, as i was adjusting to such a Monster of a Car. It was actually the most exciting thing i have ever done in my life..and i have Raced Drag Boats, Motorcross...etc..But nothing had been more exciting than strapping into this 700HP animal.

I had/have Good friends who would help crew for me all through the 2008 season. I did not tear up as much stuff as people had expected which was a good thing for sure. I had a Great time running with the ASCS Canyon Region throughout the 2008 Season and ended the season with:

2008 ASCS Canyon Region Rookie of the Year
10th in Driver Points
10th in Car owner Points

(I Spent an Average of $450 per night to Race..Fuel, 1 New Tire, Ice Chest Full of Drinks & Pit Passes) Total Cost for the year was right around $ 14,000 plus Change to Operate the Car + the intial Cost of the Car @ $24,000 = $38,000

You can buy a Nice Sprint Car with a 410 or 360 in it for $ 13,000 to $20,000 all day long..just be patient and do your homework, and don't be afraid to ask Drivers & Crews Questions..it will payoff if you do so!

2009: This year i decided that i wanted to be a Car owner only , so i asked a former Sprint Car Champion( Josh Pelkey) if he wanted to drive my car and he was more than Happy to do so..We have raced a few races this year, but with the economy the way it is, it has been hard..I purchased a Maxim /Benic Chassis and are Gearing up for Western World Championships in November of this year...Go # 7 !

Steve
# 7
Last edited by Sprint7Car; 9/29/09 at 10:34 PM.

9/29/09, 10:51 PM   #15
tjcain58

Randy, if you want to drive a sprintcar call Lps or your local speed shop see how much fuel is a gallon vs a drum. Price tires and pit passes food ect that's your budget. You can get real good used cars cheap plus tearing them down will help you learn a ton about them. That's what I did. I also built my own 360 motor just so I knew how everything worked so I could fix it later. Good luck in how ever you go.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/29/09, 11:50 PM   #16
RandyB

Kenny, Will you be in the 92 or 92C Saturday at LPS? I will be in the Stock #59 pits, I'll look you up!

I sure appreciate the help and advice you guys offer. I had a cousin that raced Sprint cars in the 70's 80's all over Indiana area...I always had a fascination with them cars and loved being around his car. He lost his arm in a Sprint car wreck and ended up coming back and driving with one arm. I think he even won with 1 arm. I seen a guy at LPS named Christian.....thought maybe it was his son.

Got to go. Thanks for advice.

Randy

9/30/09, 12:00 AM   #17
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Kenny, Will you be in the 92 or 92C Saturday at LPS? I will be in the Stock #59 pits, I'll look you up!

I sure appreciate the help and advice you guys offer. I had a cousin that raced Sprint cars in the 70's 80's all over Indiana area...I always had a fascination with them cars and loved being around his car. He lost his arm in a Sprint car wreck and ended up coming back and driving with one arm. I think he even won with 1 arm. I seen a guy at LPS named Christian.....thought maybe it was his son.

Got to go. Thanks for advice.

Randy
Yeah, his name is Bob, son is Kent.

9/30/09, 12:11 AM   #18
RandyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscs20 View Post
Yeah, his name is Bob, son is Kent.
Thank You!

I have not talked to them in years....is Bob still around?

Thanks again.

Randy

9/30/09, 9:18 PM   #19
ramracing77

Randy, Ram Racing Enterprises holds a driving experience for anyone 18 or older at local tracks in central Indiana.Please call Ram Racing for complete details @ (765) 832-8380 or (812) 241-5300. We plan to have a lease car available for the 2010 season.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Whats it cost....