IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An apology and a criticism...
9/19/09, 11:30 AM   #11
Re: An apology and a criticism...
Motormasher

Nobody should be happy to see someone crash or "flip" I don't care if you like the driver or not.

But we all know its gonna happen with non wingers more than any other form of racing. I would rather have a wing over my head, after all nobody would go run an Indy Car without any ground effects to keep them glued to the track.

What I am wondering is if everyone "stopped" on the or did some select driver get to drive their car on over to the pits to work on it???

9/19/09, 12:06 PM   #12
Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL56 View Post
Panama,
You should apology to the people that every saw you drive a go-cart or a sprint car.
Rusty
I apologize to all those I outran in the go-kart, (including and especially you:2 and the sprint car, I apologize for not being able to get enough seat time to ever finish better than 6th in a 40 lapper at Paragon.
But I sure had fun in my all to short carer.

Good to hear from you Rusty, I'm pretty sure you owe me a beer or two for some reason or another.

9/19/09, 12:08 PM   #13
SPRINTCAR

Quote: But we all know its gonna happen with non wingers more than any other form of racing.

We do?

Quote: However; it's the lack of the type of fan that takes joy in seeing a crash that keeps the purses small. This is where the stock cars have an advantage on the open wheel cars. In the stock car deal......fans are able to live out their aggression and cheer crashes and damaged equipment because on the surface it looks fairly safe.(No crashes are safe.)

I think this guy has it right.

9/19/09, 12:47 PM   #14
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I was about 15 feet away from where this all went down. I agree that some of the comments and language used in the argument was not good with kids around. With that said, I can't understand how anybody could cheer when somebody flips....no matter who they are. There are drivers I like and ones that I don't. I might be happy if one I don't like spins in the lead or something, but NEVER if they flip. The comment of, "I didn't cheer until they said he was OK" is ********. Doesn't matter IMO. Classless act.

I did hope the two ladies were going to throw down. They would have been interesting.

9/19/09, 2:58 PM   #15
Jim Halpert

Quote:
I did hope the two ladies were going to throw down. They would have been interesting.
I'm not a big guy by any means, but there is no way that piece of trash was getting near my mom...she would have had a much bigger problem before that.

When asked who her favorite driver was, the instigator replied, "Anybody but Darland!" Now I can accept that...I don't understand it, but I can accept it...so this wasn't just a case of her wanting to see an accident, this was a case of her wanting to see a Dave Darland accident...perfectly unacceptable. I might mention there was no cheering, that I noticed, after the other three flips of the evening...thank goodness. So this was an isolated incident, if isolated counts as whenever the 2B was on the racetrack.

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
9/19/09, 3:07 PM   #16
darnall

How in the heck could anybody not like Dave Darland?????

Talent, class, personality and wonderful attitude.... I thought those were typically qualities that people LOVED in a racer.

No wonder our country is so screwed up!!!

3 members like this post: aka Liz, racegal, SprintManDave
9/19/09, 3:16 PM   #17
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnall View Post
How in the heck could anybody not like Dave Darland?????

Talent, class, personality and wonderful attitude.... I thought those were typically qualities that people LOVED in a racer.

No wonder our country is so screwed up!!!
Just a thought but probably because he has been so successful. It seems many fans dislike successful people in general and aren't bashful about expressing their opinions. Either that, or maybe her favorite driver isn't quite the same caliber of a Dave Darland.

As many have said before me, this is no race fan.:34; This is a person who doesn't have the intelligence God gave little apples or knowledge of racing to see greatness. I am a race fan who enjoys all types of racing. I also can see driving talent and recognize outstanding achievement. I hope that some day she gains some common sense and realizes what these drivers do to entertain us. Doubtful, but I guess I can always hope.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/19/09, 3:29 PM   #18
SprintManDave

I do not normally criticise people, but I was nearby and that was disrespectful.

9/19/09, 3:33 PM   #19
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I wasn't sitting in my usual area, so I didn't hear this incident. Bob Pfender and I did notice a commotion to our right at one point, and that was probably the incident you are speaking of.
I can't understand anyone ever cheering when a driver crashes. My wife and I are huge fans of Dave Darland and we believe he epitomizes the way a driver should conduct himself/herself on and off the track.
It seems that I have witnessed more altercations at race tracks this year than I have in many years. I don't have any explanation for this obnoxious behavior, but it seems I witness more of it in society in general each day.
As I was leaving my parking space last night, a very rude driver in a new bright red Chevy pickup with a #36 sticker on the back window just plain cut me off. If I had not applied my brakes he would have hit me. This type of driving when leaving the parking lot is not only rude, it endangers pedestrians. I will always allow a vehicle to enter a line if they signal their intentions in a courteous manner. It is dangerous to speed towards another vehicle on grass that is wet with dew. No doubt some of these rude drivers are under the influence of alcohol and that is a factor. If you have had too many adult beverages, then you should have a designated driver. The police are out in force with checkpoints on the weekends and I don't want to see any good race fans get in trouble because they imbibed too much at the races.
That's my $.02 worth on this matter.
Last edited by ronmil; 9/20/09 at 12:51 AM.

3 members like this post: Jim Halpert, mtek56, racegal
9/19/09, 4:26 PM   #20
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Just a thought but probably because he has been so successful. It seems many fans dislike successful people in general and aren't bashful about expressing their opinions. Either that, or maybe her favorite driver isn't quite the same caliber of a Dave Darland.

As many have said before me, this is no race fan.:34; This is a person who doesn't have the intelligence God gave little apples or knowledge of racing to see greatness. I am a race fan who enjoys all types of racing. I also can see driving talent and recognize outstanding achievement. I hope that some day she gains some common sense and realizes what these drivers do to entertain us. Doubtful, but I guess I can always hope.
Very real explaination there. Probably why people hate Stewart the way they do. He is successful in everything he drives (well mostly everything). When a driver gets to be that good people want to see the do bad.

However, cheering for some to wreck or when they wreck is totally 100% unacceptable no matter what. Now, when they spin out and hit nothing or get spun out and hit nothing there are some drivers I do chuckle at because they have such an ego (Danica) that I can;t help but get a kick out of.

1 member likes this post: racegal
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An apology and a criticism...