IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chitwood Resigns as IMS President
7/21/09, 9:28 PM   #11
Re: Chitwood Resigns as IMS President
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I still haven't heard Goodyear's official apology for that fiasco last year called the Brickyard 400.
You are correct , as NASCAR's VP of Competition , Robin Pemberton was summoned to be the public face of the latest tire debacle.
Pemberton offered his apologies for NASCAR on the Tuesday after the race.
Any representation from Goodyear was suspiciously absent.
Goodyear did initially attempt to place blame on the Speedway but later stating , " Nobody's at fault ... everyone is at fault".

:34; Goodyear @ Indy
Last edited by pgray; 7/21/09 at 9:31 PM.

7/21/09, 9:39 PM   #12
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
You are correct , as NASCAR's VP of Competition , Robin Pemberton was summoned to be the public face of the latest tire debacle.
Pemberton offered his apologies for NASCAR on the Tuesday after the race.
Any representation from Goodyear was suspiciously absent.
Goodyear did initially attempt to place blame on the Speedway but later stating , " Nobody's at fault ... everyone is at fault".

:34; Goodyear @ Indy
Paul,

Isn't it amazing that when things go wrong, Brian France and Mike Helton are no where to be found. They send one of the underlings to fend off the lions.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/21/09, 10:23 PM   #13
pgray

Quote:
Paul,
Isn't it amazing that when things go wrong, Brian France and Mike Helton are no where to be found.
Well , Brian just simply doesn't have a clue and Helton is all about protecting the NASCAR image.
A great many people lost all respect for Mike Helton when he attempted to manipulate evidence to place blame on Bill Simpson
( & Simpson Performance Products ) in the death investigation of Dale Earnhardt , Sr.

Sorry to see the IMS shake-up , but NASCAR could use some house cleaning , too !

:30:

7/21/09, 10:25 PM   #14
Mud Packer

Quote:
Well , Brian just simply doesn't have a clue and Helton is all about protecting the NASCAR image.
A great many people lost all respect for Mike Helton when he attempted to manipulate evidence to place blame on Bill Simpson
( & Simpson Performance Products ) in the death investigation of Dale Earnhardt , Sr.

Sorry to see the IMS shake-up , but NASCAR could use some house cleaning , too !

:30:
Agreed!

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/21/09, 10:36 PM   #15
pgray

Quote:
Agreed!
How's that little guy , Andrew doing ?
I think of him often and pray that he may have all great days ahead forever !

Tell him an old racer is thinking about him and says "hello" ! :2:

7/21/09, 10:50 PM   #16
Mud Packer

Quote:
How's that little guy , Andrew doing ?
I think of him often and pray that he may have all great days ahead forever !

Tell him an old racer is thinking about him and says "hello" ! :2:

Paul,

Thanks so much for asking. He is doing remarkably well. It is amazing with all that he has been through that he has returned to being the same great kid (the old man is bragging now) only now he is three years old. He just got a new bike and I told a number of IOW members at sprintweek that he is the terror of Hubble Street.

Thank you for continuing to pray for him and we all hope and pray that he has all good days ahead forever. However, with no cure for this dreaded disease, it always remains in the back of our minds that it could turn at any point in time. Our eyes are wide open and we enjoy the time we have been given with him. Right now things are quite boring and we hope they remain that way. We have had enough excitement to last the rest of my lifetime. I will let him know that you asked about him.

7/21/09, 11:21 PM   #17
pgray

Quote:
Paul,
Thanks so much for asking. He is doing remarkably well. It is amazing with all that he has been through that he has returned to being the same great kid (the old man is bragging now) only now he is three years old. He just got a new bike and I told a number of IOW members at sprintweek that he is the terror of Hubble Street.

Thank you for continuing to pray for him and we all hope and pray that he has all good days ahead forever. However, with no cure for this dreaded disease, it always remains in the back of our minds that it could turn at any point in time. Our eyes are wide open and we enjoy the time we have been given with him. Right now things are quite boring and we hope they remain that way. We have had enough excitement to last the rest of my lifetime. I will let him know that you asked about him.

Mike , that's all great news !
Thanks for sharing an encouraging update with us ! May all good things continue for you , Andrew and family !!

7/22/09, 8:19 AM   #18
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
... And 20 days into his new job , ceo jeff belskus , released the following statement -

"this is a disappointment for the indianapolis motor speedway".
"joie provided the leadership you would expect for a facility that hosts the largest sporting events in the world".
"with his history in the sport combined with his business acumen , joie was well suited for the role of president of the indianapolis motor speedway and we appreciate how he has represented ims".
"we wish him all the best".

he should have added "and all of the remaining talent has just walked out the door".
"we are now officially in deep !". "has anyone seen mari ? ... Nancy ? , josie ? , kathi ?" "damn"

To nancy to josieto kathi And mari deserves two
you wrong!

7/22/09, 3:08 PM   #19
nonwing

I took my two kids last year to the Brickyard. Ages 5 & 10. They begged me to never take them to another race. I was able to get my youngest to go with me this year to Putnamville so he could watch Shane Hollingsworth race, but while I think he had a good time, he has not asked about when we can go back. I think it has a lot to do with the Brickyard mess from last year. It is very loud and not much of a race. We left before halfway.

We are taking our family vacation during this years running and that's OK with me.

I think it's too bad that Tony G is out. I think he tried some new things that just didn't bring in enough money for the girls in the family to be happy with. I bet in the end he said "You girls run it, I'm going racing with the IRL and enjoy just being a car owner." The girls have got it, now we will see where they take it.

Geo. Wilkins

7/22/09, 11:32 PM   #20
pgray

BeanCounter turned CEO , Jeff Belskus , said yesterday that "we need to manage our expenses and manage our costs" ... "there's a revenue aspect to what we're doing".
Those things should be his focus as opposed to Chitwood who worked more on the promotion and event planning side.

So everyone is asking and wondering what cost saving and cost cutting measures may be in store ?

Well , we know that some layoff's took place and some job positions were eliminated as announced by Fred Nation this past December. I have since learned that some 90 positions were axed. We also know that the operation of the Brickyard Crossing Inn came to a close , also in December , as the former Speedway Motel has since been demolished. Fifteen full-time employees were laid off.

I have learned just today that it is not by accident or oversight that no concerts were planned for the Brickyard 400.
You may recall that last year we had two concerts on the Miller Lite Stage ; the Goo Goo Dolls performed on Saturday and the Charlie Daniels Band on Sunday prior to the race starting time. This year the Miller Lite stage ( located behind the museum ) is absent of any performer.

There will be live music on the Coke Zero Stage ( on the Pagoda Plaza ) -
Anyone ever heard of "Healing Sixes" , "Corey Cox" , "Casey Jamerson" , "The Elms" , "Megan Linville" ... how about "Steve Trent and Small Town" ?
Well , I'll admit that all of these names mean nothing to me.

For as much as many will miss the "name" entertainment at the Speedway , as apparently it is no longer in the budget , all things are not bad.
Just added to the event schedule is a " Turkey Leg Eating Contest " - Saturday , 12:45pm , Coke Zero stage !

Same as last year , the general admission is $10.00 Friday ( practice ) , $15.00 Saturday ( qualifying ).

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chitwood Resigns as IMS President