IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Armscamp Speedway
6/23/09, 6:35 PM   #21
Re: Armscamp Speedway
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time Hoosier View Post
I would venture a guess that me and my father missed not over a half dozen races at Armscamp between 1949-1954 whem we moved away from Indiana.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos from back then would you? My Dad was a regular midget racer at Armscamp. I have very few photos from then and would love to see some or get copies of some. If you happen to see any photos with a #75 midget in them I'd be very interested! He ran there from '48 to '51.
Thanks,
David.

6/23/09, 7:03 PM   #22
Dusty Goggles

Here is a photo from Armscamp Speedway in 1946. It was also called Hilltop for a short time. It burnt twice the last time was in the early 60s and was not rebuilt.
Dusty

1 member likes this post: rfrench
6/23/09, 7:11 PM   #23
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Goggles View Post
Here is a photo from Armscamp Speedway in 1946. It was also called Hilltop for a short time. It burnt twice the last time was in the early 60s and was not rebuilt.
Dusty
Sweet, sweet photo, THANKS! I would give my left butt cheek to have seen a race back then.
David.

6/23/09, 7:35 PM   #24
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Devin (aka #1 Brad Kuhn Fan) and I went out there and trudged through the brush this past winter. It is still pretty much the same as old time Hoosier describes it. I came along too late to even dream of a race here. However, a friend of mine drove the ambulance there and he said that they made frequent trips to the hospital after drivers were injured. If anyone has any pictures, I also would love to see them.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/23/09, 7:59 PM   #25
Dusty Goggles

Here is the original Armscamp before it burnt the first time.
Dusty

6/23/09, 9:12 PM   #26
Checker'd Past

Just the way I remembered it......don't make fan entrances like they used to.....what class!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6/23/09, 10:21 PM   #27
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker'd Past View Post
Just the way I remembered it......don't make fan entrances like they used to.....what class!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Checker'd Past, is that you walking toward the entrance? A classy little joint if I do say so myself. And to think it all happened in Alexandria, IN.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/8/14, 1:48 PM   #28
zenas1924

My name is Dave, you found the Armscamp Speedway history on my website Orestes, Indiana. I also did the website for Alexandria and the same information is located there too. I am a historian and currently writing a new version of Armscamp history and searching for information and photos. I was also an Indianapolis Motor Speedway staff photographer in the 70s and 80s.
Last edited by zenas1924; 7/8/14 at 1:49 PM. Reason: add additional information.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, EBookerFan, K9Racer, tigerone
7/8/14, 7:31 PM   #29
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenas1924 View Post
My name is Dave, you found the Armscamp Speedway history on my website Orestes, Indiana. I also did the website for Alexandria and the same information is located there too. I am a historian and currently writing a new version of Armscamp history and searching for information and photos. I was also an Indianapolis Motor Speedway staff photographer in the 70s and 80s.
Dave the Vukovich car would be a two CYLINDER not a two CYCLE

7/9/14, 3:39 PM   #30
randy j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitpass View Post
A friend of mine told me the other day that he found the old Armscamp Speedway, west of Alexandria,IN while surfing Google Earth. I checked it out and this is the image of what is left:

also found this article with the history of the track:

http://zenas4.tripod.com/orestesindi...tory/id29.html

This might be old news to some of you, but I thought it was interesting. My friend and I are going to take a trip up there sometime in the near future and maybe take a few photos.
If you head back to the track, be sure to wear shoes, socks and long pants and long sleeve shirts. Ticks are attrocious out there

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Armscamp Speedway