IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oldtimers race fans poll!
6/7/09, 6:16 PM   #11
Re: Oldtimers race fans poll!
hogan6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
just looking to see how many on here seen the best years of sprint car racing!
Hey DUD, what qualifies that era to be the best??

6/7/09, 6:56 PM   #12
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBurger View Post
My first USAC race, 1961 James-O'Connor Memorial 100 lapper at Salem won by Parnelli Jones. Had missed very few USAC events in Indiana and Ohio since then until I cut back a bit a few years ago. Been as far east as Reading, as far west as Manzanita.

Made a few IMCA races at Tri-County Speedway north of Cincinnati. Dick Sutcliffe won one of them. I'd have to look up the others.
Duke, I just noticed that this is for "Oldtimers" only. Being a young buck myself, I hope I didn't mess up your poll.

6/7/09, 7:03 PM   #13
SprintManDave

I have been going to sprints and Midget races since 1949. Saw a lot of good sprint racing with USAC and IMCA in the 60's

6/7/09, 7:07 PM   #14
OU812

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogan6 View Post
Hey DUD, what qualifies that era to be the best??
Obviously you weren't there or you would know the answer to that question.:2:

First sprint pavement race I saw was USAC at Salem 1967,
shortly after that went to New Bremen and then Eldora in the early 70's.
Fond memories!

6/7/09, 8:11 PM   #15
mac miller

I started working on USAC sprint cars in 1963, working for Henry Meyer on the Iddings #93. Also worked around Paul Leffler on the Dunseth cars. Lost interest in 1970 when they converted all of the real sprint cars into supermodifieds by requiring roll cages..... Came back to USAC in the late 70s to work for Leffler and Wally Meskowski on the '78 and '79 USAC Sprint Championship winning Armstrong Mould team.
The 60s were the real thing. We raced on only real tracks, half miles like Winchester, Dayton, Salem, New Bremen, Eldora,
Terra Haute, Ascot, Reading, etc...... not the little quarter mile midget tracks that they run now.
The 60s had real car builders and owners and paid drivers rather than mommies and daddies buying prefab kit specracer cars and setups, from the beast store, for their little 15 year old children, in their cute little thousand dollar designer driver suits and helmets.
Frankly, I don't see any potential A.Js, Parnellis, Hurtubises, Jud Larsons, Rutherfords, Greg Welds, Bransons, or Dicksons among the bunch of hacking, slashing, chopping, slide job artist, "roll cage fearless" kiddies of today.
Real sprint car racing was over by 1970 and, even the supermodified version of sprint car racing was, purty much, over by the early 80s

6/7/09, 8:14 PM   #16
Dusty Goggles

Been around since the 50s. Saw Larrett Crockett run as well as Pat O'Conner, Bob Sweikert, Jimmy Bryan and some snot nose kid named Foyt.
DG

6/7/09, 8:27 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Seen a few in the early to late 80s all at Burg. Wasn't till mid 80s when I started branching out to other tracks.

6/7/09, 8:37 PM   #18
Dusty Goggles

"Frankly, I don't see any potential A.Js, Parnellis, Hurtubises, Jud Larsons, Rutherfords, Greg Welds, Bransons, or Dicksons among the bunch of hacking, slashing, chopping, slide job artist, "roll cage fearless" kiddies of today."

Mac, I know you have been around for a long time and have been on the 'inside', but I respectfully disagree about the talent in todays young crop of sprint car drivers. The cars they drive today are a good thing. In todays world if we killed them like it happened back then, their would be a total ban of this type of racing. I see young guys like Bryan Clausen, Scott Windom, Cole Whitt, Brady Bacon, Brad Sweet, just to name a few, that if they had been born in 1939, would be your heros today. The talent pool is very deep and the racing is alive and well.
It is not my intention to start a verbal exchange that can only detract from the real issue, but I too have been around a while and can say, the names may be different, but the fire in the bellies of these youngsters is burning bright. They were just born 40 years later. Long after you and me are gone these kids' names will be in the record books. No, they more than likely will not get a chance to win the Indy 500, but it won't be because of a lack of the desire to mix it up on a dirt track with 850 hp 1200 Lb sprints. This is still a dangerous sport, as you know, the sport lost a fine young man at Kville last week. Yes, even with all the safety equipment available today these drivers can still get hurt but lack of talent equal to AJ, Parnelli, Jimmy and Pat is not the issue. Please, come to Gas City this Wednesday night and see for yourself.
With respect,
DG

6/7/09, 8:38 PM   #19
SUPERDUKE
Banned

[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;108929]Seen a few in the early to late 80s all at Burg. Wasn't till mid 80s when I started branching out to other tracks.[/QU TALKING USAC IMCA! 60S 70S!!!!!!!!!!

6/7/09, 8:40 PM   #20
Circletrack40

Duke---As per the orginal ??? Add me to your list of being at usac and imca races in the 60's and 70's. DW

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oldtimers race fans poll!