IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BOSS Waynesfield 7/9
7/9/16, 10:20 PM   #1
BOSS Waynesfield 7/9
sprinter14

Rick's Truck & Equipment BOSS sprints at Waynesfield 34 cars tonight. Heat races were won by Matt Westfall, Kody Swanson, Luke Hall and Shawn Westerfeld. Twin B Mains were taken by Jim Dues and Mike Miller. The 25 lap - 22 car A-Main is ready to push off now.

1 member likes this post: pushinthecushin
7/9/16, 10:57 PM   #2
sprinter14

Kody Swanson defeats Luke Hall in a high speed duel through traffic. Dallas Hewitt slipped past Hall for 2nd on the last lap. Hall, Westfall and Fischesser rounded out the top 5.

7/10/16, 2:04 AM   #3
Re: BOSS Waynesfield 7/9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Had a good time tonight at the field, Met some of the Field regulars for about 45 minutes before gate opening and had a riot chatting with them. Met many BOSS followers throughout the night as well. Met Cigar Dave. Jerry Wahl, Seen Aaron Fry, Rick Lane, Skinny Kenny and a host of characters in attendance. Chatted with a guy most of the night who moved to ohio three years ago and has been circling Ohio and PA dirt tracks and makes many BOSS shows and he was still raving about last years Atomic race.

I also was very impressed with the crowd size. Granted I haven't done Ohio Sprint Speeweek but other than the Harvest of Sprint races. I never seen a crowd close to that size there.

Anyway the feature was kinda one groove on the cushion the first half as Hall jumped out into the lead as was moving away but Kody Swanson ran him down and passed him about lap 12. It was Swanson, Hall and Hewitt mid race and Hall ran Swanson down. This led to about a five lap duel between lap 15 and 20 of Hall slide jobbing Swanson for the lead and Swanson crossing back over. Swanson gained control for the next three laps but as the white flag was thrown Hall blasted the cushion in one and two. Came out of two on the highside even with Swanson, A lap car in the middle of the track caused the split that Swanson dove low and Hall high, High enough Hall ran out of cushion and allowed Swanson to get away and the lurking Dallas Hewitt to grab second with Hall rounding out the top three, Was home at 1230 after a two hour drive. Now off to bed for the Burg today

Oh, Recived a sample of McMillin Honey from Jazz Trombonist and McMillin Aparies in a cute bear that I'll fill with some yellow dish soap just as soon as Im done seasoning Mr. Beam with honey
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/11/16 at 11:02 AM.

1 member likes this post: chewton
7/10/16, 2:17 AM   #4
flagboy55

Great for everyone that went to the boss shows but too bad they were scheduled against ISW, got to believe more than a few of those guys would have made some noise in the hoosier state

7/10/16, 3:12 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

It's great for the sport of NW racing. Attica a track that hasn't run NW in years with 43 cars and a great crowd and Waynesfield, the only NW regular track east of Indiana with a good field and great crowd.

Wasn't hurting Sprintweek in car count or fans in any measurable way, But maybe ensuring a future of it. It's growing both a car base and fan following.

7 members like this post: Can26, dkdorkboy, flagboy55, Newport13, PJ Wright, sprinter14, Tony74
7/10/16, 1:16 PM   #6
flagboy55

Don't disagree with you Chuck, just looking forward to the best of the best At ISW. Sometimes I think there's too much racing going. Maybe I'm getting greedy, but your right it didn't hurt ISW at all. Like this upcoming week. Imo, no one should be running wings except Eldora, especially with the big purse increase. Hell, I think it pays 2k to be the first non transfer

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, midnightrider
7/10/16, 9:22 PM   #7
sprinter14

Flagboy, I understand how you feel as a fan. However, there are hundreds of sprint cars in Indiana and Ohio. You will never get every car to any one event. Same for the fans. Some people don't want to make a long drive or fight a big crowd. As a racer myself, I couldn't be competitive at ISW or KR. That doesn't mean I should be forced to take the weekend off. There has been weekly racing all over the place long before the KR or ISW and there will be weekly racing long after the KR and ISW.

7/11/16, 11:56 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

I don't know how to say it and in a positive light, But I will try.

BOSS IMHO both compliments a regular show and/or allows a track to have a show where they would probably be closed for that weekend due to intense competition of either a major show or too many tracks running one class on a saturday night.

BOSS gives long time racers the chance to go have fun at different tracks instead of a track they've mastered and have nothing to prove. It also gives upstarts a place to hone their skills and learn from the masters until they are beating them. It gives Winged guys a chance to try NW and many of them are or were Wingers or still do both.

As I said, It's building a fan base for NW too in a state that other than Eldora. USAC isn't racing and a track doesn't have to come up with 27 grand just to hold a good NW show.

I think it's awesome that they show up with 57 cars at Eldora for the Sprintacular as most probably came for the all stars or nra and see our brand, Not just NW but a Lot of it! It also gives OH, IN, PA and MI teams time on the track which bodes well for future four crown counts.

I see no negatives in BOSS and it's a league of its own, Yes USAC is the best of the best, But there was a time Upsets were common in USAC by local racers. Now that's rare or most of the locals just park em. I see BOSS as a way that a few will become good enough, Possibly make the investment and go run USAC one day or at least when they come locally.

USAC needs feeder's and tracks with a base and the more tracks and racers getting experience in a NW sprint car. The Better Meanwhile BOSS will still be providing quality shows. A option Im glad to have. I've never seen a NW show at Atomic or Millstream. The Later track I haven't been too in 27 years and Atomic only twice ever. I will see that this year
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/11/16 at 12:04 PM.

2 members like this post: dkdorkboy, Newport13
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BOSS Waynesfield 7/9