IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vintage sprint car at Lawrenceburg question
7/11/16, 4:42 PM   #1
Vintage sprint car at Lawrenceburg question
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I am curious about the vintage sprint car and driver that paced the start of the sprint car feature last night. I don't recall hearing any info on it. Not saying the announcer didn't give info, but if he did, I didn't hear it. It was hard to read the wording on the hood from my vantage point at the top of Section A; it looked like it said "Edison" or something similar to that. I thought it was a really neat car and we were hoping he might get on the gas a little harder for just a bit, but we knew that wasn't going to happen.

7/11/16, 5:07 PM   #2
Re: Vintage sprint car at Lawrenceburg question
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I am curious about the vintage sprint car and driver that paced the start of the sprint car feature last night. I don't recall hearing any info on it. Not saying the announcer didn't give info, but if he did, I didn't hear it. It was hard to read the wording on the hood from my vantage point at the top of Section A; it looked like it said "Edison" or something similar to that. I thought it was a really neat car and we were hoping he might get on the gas a little harder for just a bit, but we knew that wasn't going to happen.
Check out Joshua Shaw's Vintage racing page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Joshua-Shaw...1064/?fref=tse

The Car is the Ellson Special Dave Algabright writes about in his Sprint Car and Midget It had set in a barn for decades and never raced. Josh Bought it, Restored it and races it around the country at places like Latimore Valley, He's had it and other cars at LBurg several times with the Vintage Club usually here for the LBurg nationals. Of Special note was him taking the 1948 Granitelli Steel Spl.Indy car above the cushion for several laps throwing rooster tails a couple years back It ran Indy two years.

The man has more talents than I can list from artist, designer, fabricator, restorer, racer etc.

Im just glad to know him!
His father just as talented and nice is the one who did all the murals around the track, Welcome to the Burg, Slingin Dirt since '60, Battleground on the track entrance and The four generations of sprint cars mural painted on the outside of the wall outside turn four.

Joshua does race that car and others of his and has at LBurg several times with the vintage group at the Lawerenceburg Nationals USAC race.
Come see them this fall! He's also taken it and others out to Latimore Valley during they're meets and gassed em up
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/11/16 at 5:11 PM.

5 members like this post: davidm, DirtHawk92, FALCONEDDIE, jim goerge, ronmil
7/11/16, 5:42 PM   #3
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Thanks, Charles!

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
7/11/16, 6:50 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Your welcome Ron, Was good to see you last night too!

1 member likes this post: ronmil
7/11/16, 10:42 PM   #5
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Ron He's one I took at Latimore of the car last year. Joshua is an amazing talent!

7/12/16, 12:01 AM   #6
jim goerge

Thanks for the pic David, now we know why Jimmy Wilson is so proud to drive that beautiful car.

4 members like this post: davidm, DirtHawk92, ronmil, WinglessLovers
7/12/16, 12:14 AM   #7
safetyjoe

Here's another "pic from the past".
Attached Images
Ellison49.jpg (57.8 KB, 76 views)

4 members like this post: davidm, Owen, ronmil, WinglessLovers
7/12/16, 2:57 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

5 members like this post: DAD, davidm, jim goerge, ronmil, sp33dy
7/12/16, 11:21 AM   #9
DAD

The racing version of the Vintage Sprint cars were at Paragon last Sat night I think. Those guys do gas em a little and put on a pretty good show. One old guy in the Yellow number 5 car does a real good job hustling that thing around the race track. And by the way it is as pretty as the Ellison Special.

For the Ellison Special to race with those guys they would have to update it a little and put a cage on it. Not a bad idea considering that these guys are actually racing and not showing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/avraracing/

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: racer5c, ronmil
7/21/16, 10:26 AM   #10
Joshua Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
The racing version of the Vintage Sprint cars were at Paragon last Sat night I think. Those guys do gas em a little and put on a pretty good show. One old guy in the Yellow number 5 car does a real good job hustling that thing around the race track. And by the way it is as pretty as the Ellison Special.

For the Ellison Special to race with those guys they would have to update it a little and put a cage on it. Not a bad idea considering that these guys are actually racing and not showing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/avraracing/

Honest Dad himself
USAC asked me to just pace the field for that particular night. We run the Non-cage cars very hard at certain events and tracks. Roy's (#5 car in the Newer vintage series) guys do run a pretty good show, but it for later caged Sprint cars of the 70's & 80's and they run MODERN whells and tires, shocks etc. That's something we will NEVER do on our vintage cars.
Jo Kerr, Roy (when he drives our cars) and myself run the Early Non-cage cars VERY hard when we go to places like Pa.

Glad you enjoyed seeing it.

J Shaw

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vintage sprint car at Lawrenceburg question