IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kenny Irwin Jr.
7/7/17, 9:38 AM   #1
Kenny Irwin Jr.
ISF

17 years ago today we lost a tremendous driving talent. Had he lived Kenny Irwin Jr. would now be 48 years old.

I watched Kenny start 28th in field of 43 cars in the Tony Bettenhausen Memorial 100 USAC Silver Crown race at The Springfield Mile and win it. To this day one of the most exciting racing events I've ever witnessed. There were guys like Jack Hewitt, Dave Darland, Donnie Beechler, Jimmy Sills, Richard Griffin, Tony Stewart, Johnny Parsons Jr. and Tony Elliott in the field that day.

On the same day he won the 25 mile Rex Easton Memorial USAC National Midget race at Springfield leading every lap. He won it with guys like Stewart, Ryan Newman, Kevin Doty, Brian Gerster, Tracy Hines and Johnny Parsons Jr. in the field.

Kenny was a rare talent who we lost much too soon. Besides that he used to get under the skin of guys like Earnhardt and Stewart when he made the move to Cup racing.

Rest In Peace Mr. Irwin.
Last edited by ISF; 7/7/17 at 1:45 PM.

7/7/17, 10:35 AM   #2
Re: Kenny Irwin Jr.
Kart29

I can still remember right where I was when I heard the news.

Kenny was always one of my favorites. That one really hurt.

Whatever happened to the Dare to Dream Camp in New Castle?
Last edited by Kart29; 7/7/17 at 10:41 AM.

2 members like this post: ISF, tirespinner
7/7/17, 11:36 AM   #3
TQ29m

Kenny was also one of my favorites, he used to come race Karts with us at Columbus, In 4H Fairgrounds, I was drawn to him because of his name, Irwin, I too am an Irwin, but not any relation to Kenny, we became good friends, as some racers do. Never hear that name, that I don't remember how and when we met. Bob

2 members like this post: ISF, tirespinner
7/7/17, 1:26 PM   #4
BrentTFunk

I still remember where I was when I heard. I was at Toledo Speedway for a USAC race. A very young Spridge is who broke the news to us. Always liked Kenny

3 members like this post: Bobv, GRAYBEARD, tirespinner
7/7/17, 3:03 PM   #5
bgerster

I spotted for Kenny at the Springfield Silver Crown race mentioned above. After finishing the midget race that day I changed and went to his trailer to pick up a radio. He was confident after the midget race. It was fun to be a small part of that SC win. He did a hell of a job that day. I'm not sure what the records say about his starting position but I can say for sure he started last on the field because he used a push truck to start the car.

Kenny was a determined racer and a fun guy. He is missed!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, tirespinner
7/7/17, 3:37 PM   #6
chathamracefan

I was at Springfield that day also. It was about 100 in the shade which just added to the impressiveness of it.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
7/8/17, 8:20 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

Didn't he win at Salem the next day?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kenny Irwin Jr.