IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How much does it cost to race?
7/10/14, 7:06 PM   #1
How much does it cost to race?
hsracer338

Okay so Im mainly looking in getting into mini sprints but anyone can give there thoughts. So I know you have all the start up costs (car, gear, tools, etc.) But what do you guys spend racing on a typical basis? (Entry, fuel, parts, and so on) any advice outside of the cost of racing will also be appreciated.

7/10/14, 7:36 PM   #2
cmiracingvids

What kind of mini sprints?

The MMSA series is a $15 pill draw fee for members, plus a pit pass. Usually 25 or 30. Totaling $40-45. I go through around 5-7 gallons of methanol a night. $4/gallon=$20-28 a night. I buy only used midget tires with a couple nights left on them for around $20 each. And change oil every 2-3 nights. An oil change is right around 35. To start any show for the MMSA is a guaranteed $60. This usually covers the entry fee and racing fuel. Used parts aren't impossible to find, but can be hard sometimes when in a pinch. So they can be pricey depending on what it is.
I'll be totally honest with you, I overall spend LESS per night racing mini sprints than when I raced dirt go karts. And there's a heck of a lot less fighting too!

Colin Miller
2m

7/11/14, 2:03 AM   #3
Re: How much does it cost to race?
Kart65

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 22

As with anything the sky is the limit. You can get a mini sprint for as little as $3500 to $25000 Pick what you can afford and have fun. I spend around $8000 a year on expences, parts, tires, engine refresh, crashes and misc stuff. some years less some more. I race a local track close to the house and it saves on travel expences. If you get lucky and get some good sponsors it goes easier. Good luck!

7/11/14, 9:17 AM   #4
Re: How much does it cost to race?
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
What kind of mini sprints?

The MMSA series is a $15 pill draw fee for members, plus a pit pass. Usually 25 or 30. Totaling $40-45. I go through around 5-7 gallons of methanol a night. $4/gallon=$20-28 a night. I buy only used midget tires with a couple nights left on them for around $20 each. And change oil every 2-3 nights. An oil change is right around 35. To start any show for the MMSA is a guaranteed $60. This usually covers the entry fee and racing fuel. Used parts aren't impossible to find, but can be hard sometimes when in a pinch. So they can be pricey depending on what it is.
I'll be totally honest with you, I overall spend LESS per night racing mini sprints than when I raced dirt go karts. And there's a heck of a lot less fighting too!

Colin Miller
2m
I think that about says most of it, even tho I run a TQ, we have only a $5.00 + a pit pass fee, and I have my own machine shop, so that takes a lot out of the cost, I build my own engines and cars, about the only thing I have to buy are tires, and fuel, so I get by for even less, my biggest cost is just getting there and into the pits, and most of the time we can win enough to "break even", and as mentioned, I ran karts also for years, all over the US, had a lot of fun, met a lot of nice people, but never made a dime. Just sayin! Bob

7/11/14, 11:50 AM   #5
Phylo82

Don't forget about the cost of getting to/from the track. Depending on where we were running I was spending north of $100 for gas just to get to the track and home again.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

7/11/14, 12:48 PM   #6
TQ29m

Phil, I cut my fuel bill almost in half by going diesel, on gas about 8 mpg, on diesel at least 14/16 mpg, yes diesel is more money, but it makes up for it in mpg, plus the diesel protests less, I bought one with almost 400k on it, but good maintenance records. Now I have cut that cost by another 50%, I don't get too far away from the house anymore, those long road trips have lost their appeal! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/11/14 at 1:29 PM. Reason: ?

1 member likes this post: Phylo82
7/11/14, 11:42 PM   #7
Phylo82

Bob,

I cut my fuel cost to damn near zero by moving to a sprint car and running at Lawrenceburg.....15 minutes away!
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How much does it cost to race?