IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bowmans Article on the Smackdown
8/27/12, 1:54 PM   #1
Bowmans Article on the Smackdown
BrandonT30

August 27, 2012
BOWMAN: Sprint Car Smackdown lives up to hype

Clauson is big winner in inaugural 3-day event.

By Brett Bowman Tribune columnist

It was only fitting that when things started to get crazy all around him, arguably the coolest driver on the grounds motored away with the $10,000 winner’s check in the first running of the Sprint Car Smackdown for the USAC Amsoil National Sprint Car Series on Saturday night at the Kokomo Speedway.

Bryan Clauson, who competed in his first-ever Indianapolis 500 in May, backed up his win in Thursday’s opening night and third-place run on Friday by parking his Corey Tucker Racing/BCI/Curb-Agajanian No. 7C in Victory Lane after 40 hotly contested laps.

“I can’t thank Kokomo Speedway enough for the great facility they give us and for stepping up to put on this race,” Clauson said. “When I first heard about this race I was excited because I love this place. Then, earlier [Saturday] when they announced that it would be back again next year, I was just as excited as everyone else. This is one of the best events [USAC Amsoil Sprint Series has] ever had. I can’t wait until next year.”

By the way the former Rookie of the Year at the local oval has run at the track this year, he’s probably counting down the hours until the 2013 version kicks off. Prior to the Smackdown he had scored a pair of wins, most notably the Bob Darland Memorial when he had to start outside the last row after changing cars when his primary car’s motor went bad.

Saturday night, Clauson again had to weed himself through traffic after starting on the fourth row.

At the drop of the green, Thomas Meseraul pushed his Hoffman Racing/Mean Green/Mopar No. 69 into the lead ahead of Tracy Hines. Meseraul, the track-record holder at the local bullring, found the high side of the track to be a bit sketchy and after bobbling up top, Hines got by to take the lead on the ninth lap.

For the next six laps, Hines held the point but Clauson was on the prowl. On the 16th circuit, the Noblesville driver shot past Hines for a lead he wouldn’t relinquish the remainder of the 40-lap event.

“We just weren’t as good as [Clauson],” said Hines following the race. “Everyone gives him a hard time because he runs the bottom so much, but [Saturday] he sure looked pretty good on the high side. We had a good battle with Kevin [Thomas] there at the end and I think I owe him a new nerf bar after we got together on the last lap.

“I just hate it that our regular crew guy, Derek Claxton, couldn’t be here. He got hurt this week and I know he wanted to be here with us. I gave it a hell of a try, but it looks like we are going to be back here again next year and we’ll give it another try.”

Thomas, an Alabama native, continued to impress in his breakout season, finishing third. Earlier this season he scored a huge win during Indiana Sprint Week competition and followed it up with a pair of top-three finishes in the races prior to this weekend’s huge show.

“On the last restart I was thinking of trying to go up above the cushion and see what I could do,” Thomas explained. “But I thought better of it. As the race wound down, we were beginning to reel in Tracy and there at the end I gave it one big shot with that [slide job]. Really, it was a good end to the week for us.”

Lincoln’s Dave Darland, still just one feature win shy of tying Tony Elliott for most all-time at the track, stayed strong with his fourth-place run while Kyle Larson rounded out the top five aboard the Fox Brothers No. 53. Levi Jones, Shane Cottle, Chris Windom, Hunter Schuerenberg and Meseraul completed the top-10.

The closing laps were marred with a bit of controversy that saw tempers flare.

Jon Stanbrough, third all-time in feature wins at the track and the USAC National Sprint Car Series points leader heading into the finale, was ahead of Jones, who sits second in the national title chase, with just five laps left when Jones pushed Stanbrough’s No. 21x up the track head on into the pit opening in turn one.

The violent flip saw Stanbrough’s ride bounce back onto the track directly in the path of Robert Ballou’s No. 81. After Ballou contacted Stanbrough’s mount, he flipped wildly, totally destroying his race car. The incident also collected Damion Gardner and Chad Boespflug.

Stanbrough emerged from his car and immediately found Jones’ Tony Stewart Racing/Team Chevy Performance No. 20 during the red flag. The two drivers exchanged heated words on the track, then later during the red flag period crew members from both teams had to be separated and security was stationed around both teams’ transporters following the race.

Ballou emerged from the wreckage of his car under his own power and walked to the ambulance, but was transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital for a more extensive evaluation. His team reported that he had been released from the hospital but had quite of bit of swelling in his face and was very sore.

There has been no official word on what, if any, penalty may be given to Jones for his part in the incident. Earlier this season, other drivers were penalized by USAC for their part in what could be considered “avoidable contact.” Speculation has been rampant that Jones might be deducted points and be awarded 24th-place points rather than the sixth-place points he received.

If no penalties are dished out, Jones now holds a 26-point lead over Stanbrough (1,615-1,589) with the races on the schedule winding down. Darland, who went into the weekend 99 points out of the top spot, closed to within just 38 back in his bid for his second national sprint title.

Jason Shrout led all 20 laps to pick up the win in the Thunder Car Throwdown.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan, racefan20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bowmans Article on the Smackdown