IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What type of tracks do the sprint usually run on
8/15/08, 12:47 PM   #1
What type of tracks do the sprint usually run on
okienonwingfan

There is a debate on the oklahoma racing board I visit about which track put on a better show a smooth track or a rough track. Granted I do know that a smooth track will allow the drivers not to dodge holes. I was just wondering what do the tracks up there normally look like. Are they normally smooth or are they rough. I do remember watch a I think it was a Indiana sprint week race that had rutts the size of the Grand Cayon in it.

8/15/08, 1:32 PM   #2
Re: What type of tracks do the sprint usually run on
Knoke77

In my opinion it really depends on what kind of sprint race that you are at. If it's a USAC race it doesnt matter what the track conditions are like you are going to get a good race. If it is a local show you are going to see a few drivers run good anywhere on the track but will see many that do not know how to navigate the ruts and still be fast.

I preferred a somewhat heavy rough track that you could get aggressive with. Those are fun. I especially preferred those compared to a heavy smooth track where everyone is the same speed.

8/15/08, 2:41 PM   #3
Re: What type of tracks do the sprint usually run on
okienonwingfan

The reason I asked this question is that Wed night in Okc the track was a bit rough IMO nothing really to bad. It did get some of the cars upset but I always thought that if you were at this level or above you should be able to handle it. I talked to an ASCS official and he said Darland thought it was fine Wed. night. I guess last night at Creek from what I have heard the track was smooth, I dont know didnt go. Well some of the people on the other board are claiming that Thurs night show was overall better b/c the track was smoother allowing more passing for the cars and more grooves to run in.

Being that most of these guys race up there I was wondering if it is somthing that is a moot issue to them or is there really something to it. The Moot issue meaning that these guys see it everyday so it is somthing they are use to.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What type of tracks do the sprint usually run on