IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eddie Sachs
1/18/09, 8:27 PM   #1
Eddie Sachs
sc96

Does anyone know what ever happened to Eddies wife Nancy and Eddie JR ?

1/18/09, 11:25 PM   #2
Re: Eddie Sachs
MichiganCircleTrack.com

I attended the Michigan Auto Racing Fan Club banquet Saturday Evening where Eddie Sachs III was in attendance and he presented the Eddie Sachs Jr. Lifetime Achievement award as voted on by the MARFC.

When you ask about Eddie Jr, I assume you mean Eddie the 3rd, as Eddie Sachs the great race car driver was actually, Eddie Sachs Jr himself.. his father being the first Eddie Sachs.

But everyone has always referred to Eddie Sachs III, as Eddie Jr, even though its technically not correct.

Anyhow, Eddie Jr was in great health and spoke glowingly of racing.

The 2009 Eddie Sachs Lifetime Achievement Award went to Paul Page, who was in attendance to accept the award.

I had thought that Paul was the perfect recipient of the "Eddie Sachs Jr. Memorial Lifetime Achievement Award" but as I listened to Paul's story of a letter he had written to Eddie Sachs Jr. back as a young fan in 1960 but to have it answered and know that he still had it so many years later made it so perfect that he would be honored for his work in the sport and with an award named in memory of his fallen hero and friend.

Paul's heartfelt acceptance was truly heartwarming on a very cold and blustery day in January.
Last edited by MichiganCircleTrack.com; 1/19/09 at 11:34 AM.

1 member likes this post: dirtball
1/19/09, 12:00 AM   #3
psullivan

Eddie Jr sometimes works for the IMS news bureau during events

1/19/09, 12:50 AM   #4
SteveE

Nancy died a couple of years ago. She had remarried but I believe she is resting beside Eddie.

1/19/09, 1:41 AM   #5
cecil98

This doesn't answer the question but, my first experience at Indy as a 10 yr old boy was watching Dave McDonald and Eddie parish before my very eyes in Stand J in 1964. It was an unbelievable event! I haven't missed a 500 since. That was the first year for the DOHC Fords and when they came around for the first lap with Clark leading the guy behind me screamed, "my God, look how fast they're going!!!". It was absolutely incredible. I'll never forget that day until I draw my last breath.

1/19/09, 2:26 PM   #6
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Wasn't Eddie married to the widow of Gordon Reid for a while?

1/19/09, 3:21 PM   #7
fifthwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
Eddie Jr sometimes works for the IMS news bureau during events
Springfield late 80's

1 member likes this post: dirtball
1/19/09, 3:25 PM   #8
dirtball

checkout the book," Eddie Sachs the clown prince of racing," By Denny Miller.

1/19/09, 4:22 PM   #9
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
checkout the book," Eddie Sachs the clown prince of racing," By Denny Miller.
Will do. I haven't looked at that book for sometime.

1/19/09, 8:48 PM   #10
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
This doesn't answer the question but, my first experience at Indy as a 10 yr old boy was watching Dave McDonald and Eddie parish before my very eyes in Stand J in 1964. It was an unbelievable event! I haven't missed a 500 since. That was the first year for the DOHC Fords and when they came around for the first lap with Clark leading the guy behind me screamed, "my God, look how fast they're going!!!". It was absolutely incredible. I'll never forget that day until I draw my last breath.
Cecil98, I also watched that accident, I would have been pushing 28 at the time. I was also filming, with an 8mm movie camera. I never took the film out, it's still in the camera, my wife dropped the camera, of course on the zoom lens, and it locked up something, and I couldn't get the camera open. Probably just as well. Saw Eddie one night, on the high banked pavement track in Indy, he got over on the left side, some how, and went bouncing up the banking, and his helmet hitting the track, and bouncing like a basket ball. Got out, and did the usual "Eddie Sachs" bow! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eddie Sachs